• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next England Manager Thread

You can say that as much as you want, however the facts are he has been a manager for 25 years ( 9 clubs) and the biggest job he has held is the Saudi Sportswashing Machine one ( and that one did not last long). As i say he thinks he is good enough for the top clubs its a pity ( for his sake) that none of them thought the same.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it is about opinions but it is also about facts and achievements.

Mourinho was employed to win titles at Chelsea and had the team to do so, and he did, Sam was manager of West Ham and employed to get them up and keep them up, and he did. So in their own right and context he achieves what he is asked to and his achievements don't pale to managers who are considered Top. What he achieved at Sunderland shats on what Wenger, Pellegrini and Mourniho achieved for their respective sides.

Name three realistic candidates above him in the reckoning?

I think this is very, very generous. He basically won the one match Sunderland had to win - at Norwich. Before that, despite a couple of moments where it looked like they were moving, he could not get them beyond draws. He got a very good signing in that CB, but Defoe was already there, all BFS did was utilize him. He had already skillfully scripted 'the impossible job' thus covering is he didn't get it done. Nah, I think he got lucky. I hate Wenger, but sad to say, he did something to them I never thought would happen - he changed them from being what they are at heart to being viewed as the classiest of class football teams. Honestly, it is jaw-dropping when you remember how their history was built on Mees and Nelsons and Youngs...

I think this is very, very generous. He basically won the one match Sunderland had to win - at Norwich. Before that, despite a couple of moments where it looked like they were moving, he could not get them beyond draws. He got a very good signing in that CB, but Defoe was already there, all BFS did was utilize him. He had already skillfully scripted 'the impossible job' thus covering is he didn't get it done. Nah, I think he got lucky. I hate Wenger, but sad to say, he did something to them I never thought would happen - he changed them from being what they are at heart to being viewed as the classiest of class football teams. Honestly, it is jaw-dropping when you remember how their history was built on Mees and Nelsons and Youngs...

I think you are drastically down playing his achievements. He hit the training ground hard to get the best out of a defense that under a manager that has managed at the top level was shocking. He had the tactical foresight to but that Bayern signing in Midfield and got Defoe firing, again something Big dingdong was shocking at.

He took over 5 points off safety and since Jan had them as the 11th form side in the league when every had them as good as down, thats not just "beating Norwich" as he had to get them to that point.

When I compare the achievements I mean this season, I find it amazing people wash over failure at the top level with huge investment yet fail to acknowledge achievements of "lesser" managers.

It's a philosophy he's built a career around. You don't change that over night.

Its the method he has had to use to get the best out of his teams. At Bolton he did this to keep them up, but when they settled and he added Jay Jay, Bobic, Djorkaeff, Campo, Heirro etc they played some good stuff, yeh they played hard but why not? Win the right to play in those times.

At West Ham he did the job, had pennies to spend and left, the same club now talk of spending 26m on a player.

I see a reference to McClaren-Esq flop but what do people want from all this either way? Capello had at the time one of the best CVs in the world and did what Roy Hodgson just done, SGE done exactly the same.

So who has a correct theory on who should manage England and if they will be a success? Because if Sam takes the job, qualifies easily and gets knocked out at the QFs he is sitting at the table of some pretty big hitting managers in England terms.

So who has a correct theory on who should manage England and if they will be a success? Because if Sam takes the job, qualifies easily and gets knocked out at the QFs he is sitting at the table of some pretty big hitting managers in England terms.

England needs to appoint someone daring .. pragmatic has been tried, supposedly tactical has been tried, end result all the same = boring, uninspired football with biased team selection.

Honestly, don't see an English coach (they are generally worse than the players) that will do anything more than what has already been done. Pick someone who has the balls not to play a bunch of overpaid/overhyped Pool players, or Scum players that have less than 5 PL games in the career or for full season, someone who can tell Rooney and Hart goodbye.

Pick someone who will build a side based on pace & power (the one thing the English does better than other leagues/countries).

England needs to appoint someone daring .. pragmatic has been tried, supposedly tactical has been tried, end result all the same = boring, uninspired football with biased team selection.

Honestly, don't see an English coach (they are generally worse than the players) that will do anything more than what has already been done. Pick someone who has the balls not to play a bunch of overpaid/overhyped Pool players, or Scum players that have less than 5 PL games in the career or for full season, someone who can tell Rooney and Hart goodbye.

Pick someone who will build a side based on pace & power (the one thing the English does better than other leagues/countries).

england should pick the best guy they can get and give up the idea that they are capable of winning something, qualifying for tournaments and getting out of the group stage is a good result

england should pick the best guy they can get and give up the idea that they are capable of winning something, qualifying for tournaments and getting out of the group stage is a good result

- Yes to the first point ..
- 2nd, aim for entertaining football, get that, anything beyond the knockout rounds is bonus.

Because for almost as long as I can remember, it's been uninspired brick with early exit, would be nice to at least enjoy a few games before exit.

i'd rather they give it to somebody cheap and invest the £4m into youth coaching, the problem is player quality not who the manager is

I think, overall, there is something missing in youth coaching, we've had three generations of player turn in the same performance, we're doing something wrong

I agree there is a gap to fill re youth coaching, but do honestly not give the current coach some blame for the way he is not getting the England sum to at least equal its parts?
Hodgson imo is getting them to perform less than the sum and performed worse than Sven in that regard; at least he won a knockout round or two..
Hogdson was always an 'underdog' type of manager who excelled when his teams were not usually favourites overall. When Iceland scored their second he didn't have a clue what to do even though there was loads of time left to equalise.

I think, overall, there is something missing in youth coaching, we've had three generations of player turn in the same performance, we're doing something wrong

Agree with something in the coaching (Iceland btw invested very heavily in even low level coaches getting their badges), you can see the difference with Dier as compared to average young English defenders. However, people often look for a single, silver bullet answer, i.e. if we just do this, then we get that. My opinion is it is a little more complicated than that.

I look at England and go, here's your list ...

- Bad manager choices, if you can't win the PL, why would we expect you to lead the national team to success? (and there goes your English coach theory)
- Youth coaching still can be improved (I think it has in last 5-10 years, but still areas for improvement)
- Challenges with squad selection (team bias, picking bets player not best team, picking players on name not form, taking injured, recently injured, unfit players to major tournaments)
- All English players come from PL, creates lack of exposure to other styles, additionally the PL is a grindfest, by tournament time most players are burnt out
- The media has made playing for England unpleasant, hype -> hero -> villain in a month, I can see players wanting no real part of that (bet you Uruguay & Portugal press don't ride Suarez & Ronaldo like English media ride Rooney/Hart/etc.)
- No style/system, how is England supposed to play? is it 4-4-2, is quick/slow, tactical, short passing, long ball, what? can't get consistency without have an identity as team (Italy defense, Spain short passes, England uninventive)

Opinion on what order those should be in, but the FA should really look at that and go .. how do we solve 2/3/4 on that list?

If Big Sam gets the gig prepare to see Mark Noble,Andy Carroll,Lee Cattermole in the squad and a recall for Jermain Defoe too

Agree with something in the coaching (Iceland btw invested very heavily in even low level coaches getting their badges), you can see the difference with Dier as compared to average young English defenders. However, people often look for a single, silver bullet answer, i.e. if we just do this, then we get that. My opinion is it is a little more complicated than that.

I look at England and go, here's your list ...

- Bad manager choices, if you can't win the PL, why would we expect you to lead the national team to success? (and there goes your English coach theory)
- Youth coaching still can be improved (I think it has in last 5-10 years, but still areas for improvement)
- Challenges with squad selection (team bias, picking bets player not best team, picking players on name not form, taking injured, recently injured, unfit players to major tournaments)
- All English players come from PL, creates lack of exposure to other styles, additionally the PL is a grindfest, by tournament time most players are burnt out
- The media has made playing for England unpleasant, hype -> hero -> villain in a month, I can see players wanting no real part of that (bet you Uruguay & Portugal press don't ride Suarez & Ronaldo like English media ride Rooney/Hart/etc.)
- No style/system, how is England supposed to play? is it 4-4-2, is quick/slow, tactical, short passing, long ball, what? can't get consistency without have an identity as team (Italy defense, Spain short passes, England uninventive)

Opinion on what order those should be in, but the FA should really look at that and go .. how do we solve 2/3/4 on that list?

agree with all that, my general point is that no coach will be that magic bullet, the manager is almost irrelevant at this stage

Sam Alladyce. What a joke. Makes you grateful we didn't get to host the World Cup after all when the best we can offer up in the tactics department is realities answer to Mike Bassett. There aren't any outstanding candidates for the job but there are a few better bets than BFS.

Back