• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next England Manager Thread

I can see a lot of Ryan Giggs injuries across the board from the top clubs.

I can't see any progressive coach wanting their players wanting to spend time around a pie and chips hoofball coach.

I can see a lot of Ryan Giggs injuries across the board from the top clubs.

I can't see any progressive coach wanting their players wanting to spend time around a pie and chips hoofball coach.

nice-try-applefags-10826-1331798016-35.jpg

What a retrograde step.
What has BFS ever won?
That will be nowt.
He is great at avoiding relegation though, so England can look forward to not being relegated from their WC qualifying group...a Brexit boss if ever you could choose one...

Could not agree more, nine clubs ( with several sackings ) and a win % of 34%, back to the dark ages. Carroll up front and every ball knocked long into the box.

Big Sam's first England selection

Forster
Clyne Tomkins Shawcross Baines
AntonioNobleDrinkwaterTownsend
Carrol Vardy​

Shame Glenn lost out!
Now we will have to put up with his insightful punditry on the box...........Sam still might have him as skills coach...........:)

I'm not a fan of Allardyce or his style of play but It's easy to take cheap shots at Big Sam. Who would realistically take the England position, the job can finish your career. I think the job would only appeal to older managers. Despite what ever Sky or ITV tell you we have virtually no world class players, the media in this country are willing you to fail. The FA don't have a clue what they want apart from qualifying for tournaments so that they get TV and marketing money. There should be a strategy in place to develop a conveyor belt of young talent to be seamlessly intergrated into the full England side, this is understandably difficult as few young English player get a chance to play in key areas of teams in this country.

Spurs have taken the lead in bringing through young players but only Dier and Kane plays in critical position, Lloris, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Erikson take those other areas.

Since Hoddle we've had 3 caretakers, Keegan (the people's choice), Eriksson (show me the money), McClaren (best English coach), Capello (highly rated in Italian/Spanish football) and Hodgson (safe pair of hands) all have stumbled through the job without producing any particular style other than an ineffective pseudo continental copy which collapses when ever it comes to tournaments. All much supposed better manager/coaches than Big Sam and one thing is certain he won't do any worse than them.

Clubs in the Premier League couldn't give a toss about England and would fill their squads with foreign imports rather than give English players a chance, as long as that continues we will not produce enough international class players let alone world class.

Lets be honest the above team would probably not do too much worse than this summers contingent. They were limp!

Only because

1) we had a crap manager
2) most of the players, especially the ones who had needlessly played the pointless U21 tournament the summer before, were knackered

Neither of those will change.

A proper structural upheaval under a visionary like Klinsmann (and a hands-on assistant like Howe) might have changed things.

Especially as nearly all our players now come from Spurs, Liverpool and Soton, having a coach that could implement a possession and pressing style, to replicate how they play at club level, should have been the first criteria. It's going to be a disaster watching those players try and play counter attacking.

Spain have appointed Julen Lopetegui as their new manager. That would probably be like England going for Southgate.

His main achievements are being sacked from Rayo Vallecano after 10 matches in 2003 when they eventually were relegated to the third level, one season with Real Madrid B and being sacked by Porto after 18 months without winning anything. In between he also won U19 and U21 European Championships with Spain in 2012 and 2013, where failure is even harder to achieve than with Porto.

Only because

1) we had a crap manager
2) most of the players, especially the ones who had needlessly played the pointless U21 tournament the summer before, were knackered

Neither of those will change.

A proper structural upheaval under a visionary like Klinsmann (and a hands-on assistant like Howe) might have changed things.

Especially as nearly all our players now come from Spurs, Liverpool and Soton, having a coach that could implement a possession and pressing style, to replicate how they play at club level, should have been the first criteria. It's going to be a disaster watching those players try and play counter attacking.
:D

lets be honest Fat Sam is a 2010's version of Graham Taylor, who's this generation's Carlton Palmer? "can we not knock it".

lets be honest Fat Sam is a 2010's version of Graham Taylor, who's this generation's Carlton Palmer? "can we not knock it".

Taylor made a big mistake in turning his back on the game he knew and believing he could coach a team to play football, I think Big Sam will do the same. I don't like the football they get their teams to play but English players have proved from the 90's they can't play good football. No matter who gets the job, England can only hope to do well with a well organised system based on frustrating better teams. The England manager can do nothing without players with the ability and intelligence to play an exciting type of attacking play, Premier League teams aren't interested in developing that type of player when they can get them ready made from europe, it reduces the risk of long term planning. Much as Spurs try to bring players through it still a risk, we need an alternative to Erikson and are allegedly looking at foreign opinions when a gamble on Barkley or Grealish would be better for the English game.

Taylor made a big mistake in turning his back on the game he knew and believing he could coach a team to play football, I think Big Sam will do the same. I don't like the football they get their teams to play but English players have proved from the 90's they can't play good football. No matter who gets the job, England can only hope to do well with a well organised system based on frustrating better teams. The England manager can do nothing without players with the ability and intelligence to play an exciting type of attacking play, Premier League teams aren't interested in developing that type of player when they can get them ready made from europe, it reduces the risk of long term planning. Much as Spurs try to bring players through it still a risk, we need an alternative to Erikson and are allegedly looking at foreign opinions when a gamble on Barkley or Grealish would be better for the English game.

You had me up to the Barkley and grealish bit.
The rest totally agree.
I think Sam might surprise a few people, steely, pragmatic but with some flashes of good football.
IF, and it's a big if, he's allowed to do it his way and he doesn't see it as having reached the pinnacle of his career and rest on his laurels, then as a Scotsman I can honestly say he's the first England many since hoddle that scares me.

Back