• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New takeover rumours

"When Enic took over Villa and Spurs were absolutely comparable. What happened next is a fascinating case study as to why @DubaiSpur daydream is just that - a dreamy fixation. "

You were using Randy Learner's ownership of Villa to try to prove a point (that DubaiSpur is daydreaming if he thinks getting new owners will improve THFC). I think that argument you made is more of a straw man than mine to be honest.

Okay, we can delve into this. Is a desire for a Billionaire to parachute into Spurs to deliver milk and honey (trophies) a realistic desire or dream/fixatoin.

Well 1. it is a fixation, it is all Dubai posts on.
2. to outgun Saudi Arabia you need...idk who. If financial controls fail for whatever reason, which Billionaire are you hoping for who can outspend an oil rich nation?
3. there are increasing controls on subsidy now.
4. as we have seen, in many instances such as Villa, Leicester and others, when the Billionaire exits, the club is in a bad way and falls down the league. It is not sustainable.
5. as was the case with Learner (and City initially), ineffective subsidy can fail, potentially leaving the club worse off. As a failed pump results in a dump! See #4.
6. Villa and Learner is validated history. There are audited accounts, it happened. And Villa are only just back after that episode. Ironically thanks to another unsustainable model.

Clearly, financial doping can work. But you need an owner who is more than a 'common billionaire'! And why would you want that for Spurs and wider football? It is not a model that should be involved in open competitive sports. It would kill the sport eventually. So the whole premise is flawed/dreamy.

I just don’t think Levy will contemplate selling until he has overseen the entire Northumberland Park redevelopment to completion.

And even then, imagine walking away from all that invested effort, creativity and doggedness - will he be able to relinquish control just for a bunch of digits on a computer screen?

I think he will want to see the project through although there will be a cashing out period l, just won't be just yet IMO. As you say they Northumberland Park project is key, he changed the clubs structure to effectively free himself up for it and also give the club a more dynamic structure. Once the hotels open and we see IMO the completed Destination Tottenham vision, it will be then they depart

I suppose watching football for so long I have a different view on club status and probably bears no relation to performance on field and they would be:

Aston Villa
Chelsea
Everton
Leeds
Liverpool
Emirates Marketing Project
Man Utd
Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Sheffield Wed
Tottenham
Wolverhampton
Woolwich

Yeh and TBF I do get that, just some seem constantly intent on overreaching on why others are always better than us which I find odd against the club you support.

I think some fans will just go further to defend their club than others. We all would love Spurs to win everything and shut everyone up who brings up trophies to knock us down. Clearly we’ve had a relatively successful period over the last 10-15 years and we have punched above our weight for a large portion of that time but some things are also just undeniable and our lack of silverware will always be a stick to beat us with until we start winning things again. It’s just the latest narrative because it’s the only thing people can say against us, it used to be “you’ll never finish in the top 4” or “you’ll never finish above Arsenal”. We’ve done both of those so people move on to the next thing.

I’ll just say another thing about trophies, winning them won’t change my life or solve every problem with a football club. Chances are if we win one or two in the next five years, we will be hungry for more. If we win the title, we’d want to win another title. That’s what big clubs do, they’re not content with winning the odd trophy here and there. I had a conversation after we lost the CL final with my uncle who supports Arsenal. I said just one title or CL would make football complete for me and he said he thought the same when they won the double in 98 but as soon as the next season started he wanted to win the CL and keep winning more titles. You always want another go round I guess.

TBH though mate I haven't mentioned the gap between us and Villa and none too bothered about it.

I just find so many threads and chats on here end up leading down the route of lack of pots, even the most ambiguous threads. That's not aimed at you BTW just a general moan.

We will have the same number of trophies tomorrow as today and what we had yesterday, just feeld tedious it being mentioned all the time, especially when it's not even the subject at hand

Feels to me that almost every thread becomes either a revolving unwinnable discussion or a point scoring dingdong waving contest.
I blame the constant interruptions in the season. Too long between games at times.

Would you still hold that view if Villa won the ECL and/or the EL next season? Resources are a factor in who is bigger but there are many factors, no one has denied we have better resources, have a better/newer ground. Trophies are also a major factor in determining who is bigger. We are bigger right now than Villa but the real big clubs finish high up in the league table AND win things as well. I see ourselves, Villa and Everton at a similar level, just below the true top clubs; United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea. If we get it right on the pitch and on the recruitment side then we could absolutely join them but we’re not there yet. And I don’t think we’re miles ahead of Villa. Although I’ll say once again so I don’t upset anyone, I see Spurs as a bigger club than Villa today.
My response was not to the question of which is the bigger club. It was in response to the statement that "if Villa make CL the next couple of years and we don't, they'll overtake us." In other words, they'll be finishing higher than us, will make it further in cup competitions than us, etc. etc.

The bottom line is they won't, even if they win the ECL this year and the EL next year, because their turnover is less than half of ours. And they're at 81% of wages to turnover compared to our 47%, which leaves them with no margin to play with. So unless they manage to get to within 70-80% of our turnover, any success they have in the next couple of years will be a purple patch and not sustainable. They have a very very long way to go in terms of building up their revenue streams before they can even come close to overtaking us on a more permanent basis.

My response was not to the question of which is the bigger club. It was in response to the statement that "if Villa make CL the next couple of years and we don't, they'll overtake us." In other words, they'll be finishing higher than us, will make it further in cup competitions than us, etc. etc.

The bottom line is they won't, even if they win the ECL this year and the EL next year, because their turnover is less than half of ours. And they're at 81% of wages to turnover compared to our 47%, which leaves them with no margin to play with. So unless they manage to get to within 70-80% of our turnover, any success they have in the next couple of years will be a purple patch and not sustainable. They have a very very long way to go in terms of building up their revenue streams before they can even come close to overtaking us on a more permanent basis.

I don’t disagree with most of this. My argument is more to do with the results on the pitch. We’re doing a fine job on the revenue side. We need to capitalise on it and turn it into tangible success I.e. silverware.

Could not agree more, interesting conversastion over the last few pages which comes up every so often among fans but as always it ends up going round and round in circles. Personally i do not give a brick which clubs are bigger/smaller then us what i do know is that MY club is the one i support ( and always will) and i could not give a brick which is bigger or not.

Who is the biggest supporter. Rate your top ten.

I think some fans will just go further to defend their club than others. We all would love Spurs to win everything and shut everyone up who brings up trophies to knock us down. Clearly we’ve had a relatively successful period over the last 10-15 years and we have punched above our weight for a large portion of that time but some things are also just undeniable and our lack of silverware will always be a stick to beat us with until we start winning things again. It’s just the latest narrative because it’s the only thing people can say against us, it used to be “you’ll never finish in the top 4” or “you’ll never finish above Arsenal”. We’ve done both of those so people move on to the next thing.

I’ll just say another thing about trophies, winning them won’t change my life or solve every problem with a football club. Chances are if we win one or two in the next five years, we will be hungry for more. If we win the title, we’d want to win another title. That’s what big clubs do, they’re not content with winning the odd trophy here and there. I had a conversation after we lost the CL final with my uncle who supports Arsenal. I said just one title or CL would make football complete for me and he said he thought the same when they won the double in 98 but as soon as the next season started he wanted to win the CL and keep winning more titles. You always want another go round I guess.

It's not just us. How many clubs have won more trophies than us since enic took over? Leicester are the only ones that you could argue had less resources. They've got one more trophy than us.

It's not just us. How many clubs have won more trophies than us since enic took over? Leicester are the only ones that you could argue had less resources. They've got one more trophy than us.
That’s the key
And it’s why we’re bigger than so many teams
Even without trophies we have 60000 coming to game

It’s those who have won the same that is troubling:
Blackburn, Birmingham, ‘boro, Swansea, Wigan, Portsmouth, West Ham…

Back