• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Striker or New Stadium?

it's sad to see the impatience that one season in the Champions League has brought to our support :(

If it was as simple as buying player X and guaranteeing yourself Champions League qualification then everyone would be doing it

Not many teams are currently in a CL position (as we were this time last season only even better placed).

The right player would assist us consolidate our postion and not blow up like the last two years. We are understrikered it is plain to see.

Last edited:
Not many teams are currently in a CL position (as we were this time last season only better placed). The right player would assist us consolidate our postion and not blow up like the last two years.

No. You are right. There are only four teams currently in champions league positions.

That is not many at all.

Not many teams are currently in a CL position (as we were this time last season only better placed). The right player would assist us consolidate our postion and not blow up like the last two years.

Surely everyone above us and a couple of places behind us could do the exact same thing with the exact same logic?

You've just dodged the question, not answered it.

Surely everyone above us and a couple of places behind us could do the exact same thing with the exact same logic?

You've just dodged the question, not answered it.

Not at all. It is between us Arsenal and Everton for the fourth spot. We are currently in pole position - just as we were last year. A top signing will likely make the difference. I dont want to see us miss out three years running. With our current strike force this is extremely likely in my view.

Not at all. It is between us Arsenal and Everton for the fourth spot. We are currently in pole position - just as we were last year. A top signing will likely make the difference. I dont want to see us miss out three years running. With our current strike force this is extremely likely in my view.

"If it was as simple as buying player X and guaranteeing yourself Champions League qualification then everyone would be doing it"

How have you answered this point?

What would stop Arsenal (and Everton) doing the same and just buying a top player planning to pay for him with the CL income that would result?

Both us and Arsenal need a striker. Arsenal are rumoured to be in for David Villa. I would say our need is greater. Everton bought Jelavic last year.

Arsenal who have a turnover far greater than ours and Jelevic who has turned to brick after a purple patch last season and is now just another David Moyes journeyman who'll walk away for peanuts after a season or two picking up his 40k p/w

there is no secret formula to bring success - we could go out and buy a decent proven premiership striker for 10 mil or so on 30/40 k p/w which you'll all be happy with because it has a short term benefit, but what happens in the summer when we want to kick on and bring in a player of a higher caliber - suddenly we have Defoe New Player and Adebayor already here eating up 200 k p/w between them - an Adebayor or higher level player is going to be high in transfer fee and high in wages - potentially we're going to be fielding 1 forward from next season onward so that's 4 forwards for 1 position, all four on 3 year+ contracts

we're in an awkward position re the strikers - but unless there is a genuinely great (or potentially great) player out there available at a good price then, as frustrating as it is, Im content to wait until the summer

Both us and Arsenal need a striker. Arsenal are rumoured to be in for David Villa. I would say our need is greater. Everton bought Jelavic last year.

Imagine 3 clubs neck at neck for a CL spot (assuming a massive gap for 4th)...

-Club A spends £20m to "secure the CL spot".
-Club B spends £20m to "secure the CL spot".
-Club C spends £20m to "secure the CL spot".

Relative to each other none of the clubs are any nearer the CL spot, and still two of the clubs will fail.

How much does one conservatively estimate that missing out on CL football has cost the club over the past two years? Is it £20, £30 or £40m?

I read somewhere it is worth £20m to qualify. If we miss out again due to lack of investment in January that would be £60m we have foregone.

Not to invest in a player that can potentially make the difference between qualification and not qualifying (like I am convinced a quality striker signing last January would have made) is a huge mistake in my opinion.

1. Yet again, it is not.....repeat NOT.....an either / or situation.

2. There are a number of possible reasons why we haven't bought a £20 million striker. You're merely making an assumption that the only possible reason is that Levy refuses to spend that much on a striker because we will shortly have to pay for a new stadium.

3. As others have amply pointed out, spending £20 million on a striker guarantees nothing by way of reward. That kind of speculation is fine if money is no object. But it's not fine if it means spending money that we don't have.

You've just dodged the question, not answered it

If you watch closely that's all he does, dodge direct questions and start inane threads.We're all still waiting for an answer regarding his representing his country as a footballer!

It's been explained patiently to him that a striker /stadium option is not an either/or,yet still he worries away at this thread like a tiresome dog with a bone.

If you watch closely that's all he does, dodge direct questions and start inane threads.We're all still waiting for an answer regarding his representing his country as a footballer!

It's been explained patiently to him that a striker /stadium option is not an either/or,yet still he worries away at this thread like a tiresome dog with a bone.

How about YOU offer your thoughts and solutions, rather than just attacking someone and getting personal over their suggestions, something you've done a few times in posts lately I've noticed.

it's sad to see the impatience that one season in the Champions League has brought to our support :(

as high as you post quality can be , i think this is probably the best post i can remember reading for quite some time

fantastic post and great perspective

Lets get some facts clear. I never said a striker INSTEAD of a new stadium. What I said was a new striker NOW should be our PRIORITY. The reasons for this are:

1. We are significantly understrikered - only Defoe, Ade and at a pinch Dempsey
2. Our strikers havent been particularly good this season - Defoe (while surprising everyone at his ability to play up front by himself) has gone off the boil, Ade hasnt been at it all season and Dempsey's best position is not an out an out leader of the line
3. We have missed countless chances this season
4. We find teams who defend difficult to break down
5. We have only scored 40 goals in 23 PL games (Arse have scored 45 in 22 games)
6. We never hammer a side by four or more goals
7. Our attacking format is worse than last year - Ade, Saha, DVD and Defoe. This year Ade, Defoe and Dempsey
8 We have blown CL in each of the last two seasons from good positions - last year we were third and had an 11 point gap
9. CL is worth approx £20m per season
10 A new stadium is no guarantee of success either (Rebok, Stadium of Light, St Marys)

if we miss the boat of CL again it will be due to not having a good enough strike force. The same reason as in the last two seasons. An investment NOW in a top striker could (and in my view would) make the crucial difference

Last edited:
Lets get some facts clear. I never said a striker INSTEAD of a new stadium. What I said was a new striker NOW should be our PRIORITY.

This is demonstrably untrue.

Firstly, the thread title: "New striker OR new stadium".

Secondly, your original post: "The stadium can wait until we are CL regulars. Without qualifying we risk going on a downward spira. NOW is the time to invest in top quality players. The stadium can wait".

Thirdly, the instant you talk about priorities, you are by definition favouring one thing "instead of" another.

If you hadn't been suggesting a choice between a striker or the stadium, this thread probably wouldn't have made it past the first page, let alone making it all the way to 8.

10 A new stadium is no guarantee of success either (Rebok, Stadium of Light, St Marys)

Indeed.

And I don't believe that anyone has suggested that it would be.

But if a choice had to be made (and I stress, again, that it is not an either / or situation), then the stadium is the percentage call - because that is the only way that the club can hope to compete consistently for Champions League places.

This is demonstrably untrue.

Firstly, the thread title: "New striker OR new stadium".

Secondly, your original post: "The stadium can wait until we are CL regulars. Without qualifying we risk going on a downward spira. NOW is the time to invest in top quality players. The stadium can wait".

Thirdly, the instant you talk about priorities, you are by definition favouring one thing "instead of" another.

If you hadn't been suggesting a choice between a striker or the stadium, this thread probably wouldn't have made it past the first page, let alone making it all the way to 8.

Indeed.

And I don't believe that anyone has suggested that it would be.

But if a choice had to be made (and I stress, again, that it is not an either / or situation), then the stadium is the percentage call - because that is the only way that the club can hope to compete consistently for Champions League places.

There is no point engaging with you as you clearly dont understand english. Read my posts again.

You will clearly see that I dont say that I dont want a new stadium built - but it is a question of PRIORITIES. My priority now is a top striker to consolidate and make sure we achieve CL

There is no point engaging with you as you clearly dont understand english. Read my posts again.

You will clearly see that I dont say that I dont want a new stadium built - but it is a question of PRIORITIES. My priority now is a top striker to consolidate and make sure we achieve CL

It is completely clear what you suggest.

You prioritise short term success over long term success.

but if we do sign a striker the is no certainty we will get the champs league and then we rissk the financial security of the club

Back