• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

See my last post - the curved design concept is out dated and moveable pitches completely unnecessary. The light rigs shown in people's photos are better than sunlight. Pitches are tested to micro biological level for parasites or bacteria that might destabilise the turf.

Its a science!

Read your last post and greatwhitenorf's post.

I understand what you're both saying. And you make a good case for it, I just don't understand why, if it's that straightforward to solve, why are major clubs like Inter and Milan playing on sub-par pitches again and again and living with the added cost of re-laying the pitch over and over.

I understand what you're both saying. And you make a good case for it, I just don't understand why, if it's that straightforward to solve, why are major clubs like Inter and Milan playing on sub-par pitches again and again and living with the added cost of re-laying the pitch over and over.

Having been on a tour of the Amsterdam Arena, the guide said they still had to relay the pitch once or twice every season even though they had invested in light rigs. Some stadiums just have really poor conditions inside, ie. no airflow, lack of sun.

It seems like they can substitute the light the pitch gets but not the air

The Emirates pitch always looks good. Must be because of the brick they put on it every fortnight.

In short:

Nature >>>>>> Technology

No idea what they do at those clubs, but in the first post I also mentioned the use of Desso pitches in combination with the lighting rigs.

Spurs have used it for a long time, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Wembley solved their problems of a couple years ago with it, Real Madrid (their head groundsman was previously at Arsenal).

Its noteable that none of the top European teams who are known for having issues with their pitches use the system.

In short:

Nature >>>>>> Technology

Meh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

Technology and science is necessarily based on nature. All big stadium football pitches in the world that are good year round are good because of technological advances and science working with nature.

No idea what they do at those clubs, but in the first post I also mentioned the use of Desso pitches in combination with the lighting rigs.

Spurs have used it for a long time, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd, Wembley solved their problems of a couple years ago with it, Real Madrid (their head groundsman was previously at Arsenal).

Its noteable that none of the top European teams who are known for having issues with their pitches use the system.

Had a quick look at their website: http://www.dessosports.com/en/sports/football/football-projects/

While it seems obvious that they have a good product and I'm very happy with our pitch just about year round. I remember them talking about this (or something similar) when I was on the stadium tour 10 years ago. But I can't say that this means that stadium design is inconsequential and that they can make great football pitches without architectural regards.

It is also worth remembering that the main practise pitch at the new training ground will be exactly the same composition as the new stadium pitch...... good plan:idea:

I'm thinking the San Siro pitch gets relaid because two top teams groundshare and it doesn't get the rest and recuperation it needs because their relative success means plenty of additional games in CL or domestic cup comps. The cold, clammy winter climate - and the odd major concert, i.e. U2, doesn't help either.

Last edited:
It is also worth remembering that the main practise pitch at the new training ground will be exactly the same composition as the new stadium pitch...... good plan:idea:

Emirates Marketing Project are going to do the same thing with their new training ground, as are England with the national football centre having a copy of the wembley pitch.

I'm thinking the San Siro pitch gets relaid because two top teams groundshare and it doesn't get the rest and recuperation it needs because their relative success means plenty of additional games in CL or domestic cup comps. The cold, clammy winter climate - and the odd major concert, i.e. U2, doesn't help either.

Weather will have an impact, but a major part of this is either an old fashioned approach or a lack of investment in the technology.

One of the big differences with desso type pitches is that you don't get damage to the turf structure such as divots, in the same way that you do with traditional turf. Desso aren't the only producing these systems but they are generally recognised as the best from a UK perspective.

For the concerts there are pitch protection systems on the market which provide air flow and allow enough light to pass through to keep the grass healthy for a certain number of days. Howver, these system are expensive and clubs will be unlikely to make the investment if they already have a lesser system which will do an ok job.

Had a quick look at their website: http://www.dessosports.com/en/sports/football/football-projects/

While it seems obvious that they have a good product and I'm very happy with our pitch just about year round. I remember them talking about this (or something similar) when I was on the stadium tour 10 years ago. But I can't say that this means that stadium design is inconsequential and that they can make great football pitches without architectural regards.

I think we first had a desso pitch installed around 2002, but obviously in 10 years the system will have gone through many versions. The current desso system will be unrecognisable from the technology first used.

Stadium design is clearly not completely inconsequential, but it has a far lesser impact than a lot of people think due to advancements in technology and knowledge on how to use it.

Look at the mess the wembley stadium pitch was in when we played Portsmouth in the FA Cup semi. This is a stadium which supposedly had many of the features people use as examples for sunlight, airflow etc. Wembley installed a desso pitch that summer, and you'll never have heard a complaint since. This despite the fact they had concerts, rugby league and union games.

so... any ideas about the build schedule? will we retain that 3 year plan where we tear down one end, turn the pitch and continue playing?

so... any ideas about the build schedule? will we retain that 3 year plan where we tear down one end, turn the pitch and continue playing?

Still a three year schedule. Two years to build two thirds of the new stadium before knocking down the old stadium and a further year to build the remaining third.

But the plan has never been to turn the pitch 90 degrees. It will keep the same orientation as the current pitch.

I think we first had a desso pitch installed around 2002, but obviously in 10 years the system will have gone through many versions. The current desso system will be unrecognisable from the technology first used.

Stadium design is clearly not completely inconsequential, but it has a far lesser impact than a lot of people think due to advancements in technology and knowledge on how to use it.

Look at the mess the wembley stadium pitch was in when we played Portsmouth in the FA Cup semi. This is a stadium which supposedly had many of the features people use as examples for sunlight, airflow etc. Wembley installed a desso pitch that summer, and you'll never have heard a complaint since. This despite the fact they had concerts, rugby league and union games.

I only reacted to a statement in this thread that stadium design didn't matter and that everything said about design elements of stadiums that were there to help the pitch was flimflam (or something to that regard).

So I think we pretty much agree.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR AND SAINSBURY'S ANNOUNCE NEW STORE AS PART OF NEW STADIUM SCHEME

• Sainsbury’s will become the new supermarket operator in the Northumberland Development Project
• The new supermarket will create up to 250 new jobs while securing jobs from existing Sainsbury’s store in Tottenham
• Commitment is welcomed by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Tottenham Traders Partnership as a demonstration of confidence in Tottenham’s future
• A second convenience store, damaged in last year’s riots, to reopen on Tottenham High Road creating up to 25 new jobs

Today (Wednesday 29 February), Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and Sainsbury’s have announced that the retailer will become the new operator of the 72,000 sq ft supermarket within the Northumberland Development Project (NDP).

This announcement marks a further step forward in the delivery of the overall scheme just weeks after the Club secured unanimous planning consent from Haringey Council.

The new superstore will provide 250 new jobs for young people in the area with dedicated support in place to help local people access those jobs. It is also seen as a welcome vote of confidence for the local community, and is a first stage in unlocking some of the social and economic benefits of the NDP, revitalising the area, and attracting new trade and shoppers.

Daniel Levy, Chairman, Tottenham Hotspur said:

"We are delighted that Sainsbury’s will become the supermarket provider in the Northumberland Development Project. This will be one of the largest supermarkets of its kind in London and will help bring a greater vibrancy and attract new trade to the area.

“Both ourselves and Sainsbury's are proud of our roots in Tottenham and are committed to working to deliver major regeneration in an area with such a real need.”

Justin King, Sainsbury’s Chief Executive said:

“Our investment represents a real boost for Tottenham, bringing both new jobs and an exciting place to shop. The opening of our local store on Tottenham High Road also reinforces our commitment to a vibrant future for Tottenham’s high street. Sainsbury’s has been trading in Tottenham for over a quarter of a century and we’re proud to invest in the area at this important time.”

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London said:

"This ringing endorsement by one of the UK's leading retailers is confirmation of the huge confidence we all have in this important centre. Apart from the large number of jobs that Sainsbury's new superstore will create, its presence alone will provide a major boost to the regeneration plans for the wider area."

Ekbal Mogra, who runs a sports business on Tottenham High Road and is a member of the Tottenham Traders Partnership, said:

“The prospect of a major employer coming to invest in Tottenham can only be a very positive thing for all other businesses on the High Road, creating vast opportunities for young people and prosperity for other traders.

“The overall shopping experience for Tottenham residents will increase dramatically after this project has been established and that in turn will benefit most businesses in the area. I also welcome news of a Sainsbury’s Local in Tottenham, this will add more choice for the consumer and will encourage other small businesses around it to flourish.”

The new store will have a great offer for customers, including British fruit and vegetables, fresh meat and fish counters, an in store bakery and a wide range of general merchandise including the new TU clothing range.

Work on the new Sainsbury’s store will start in the coming months, with the opening planned for late 2013. The convenience store, damaged during the riots last summer, is due to reopen in April 2012.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spu...re-as-part-of-new-stadium-scheme-290212.page?

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR AND SAINSBURY'S ANNOUNCE NEW STORE AS PART OF NEW STADIUM SCHEME
Posted 29 February 2012 2:48pm

ÔÇó SainsburyÔÇÖs will become the new supermarket operator in the Northumberland Development Project
ÔÇó The new supermarket will create up to 250 new jobs while securing jobs from existing SainsburyÔÇÖs store in Tottenham
ÔÇó Commitment is welcomed by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Tottenham Traders Partnership as a demonstration of confidence in TottenhamÔÇÖs future
ÔÇó A second convenience store, damaged in last yearÔÇÖs riots, to reopen on Tottenham High Road creating up to 25 new jobs

Today (Wednesday 29 February), Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and SainsburyÔÇÖs have announced that the retailer will become the new operator of the 72,000 sq ft supermarket within the Northumberland Development Project (NDP).

This announcement marks a further step forward in the delivery of the overall scheme just weeks after the Club secured unanimous planning consent from Haringey Council.

The new superstore will provide 250 new jobs for young people in the area with dedicated support in place to help local people access those jobs. It is also seen as a welcome vote of confidence for the local community, and is a first stage in unlocking some of the social and economic benefits of the NDP, revitalising the area, and attracting new trade and shoppers.

Daniel Levy, Chairman, Tottenham Hotspur said:
"We are delighted that SainsburyÔÇÖs will become the supermarket provider in the Northumberland Development Project. This will be one of the largest supermarkets of its kind in London and will help bring a greater vibrancy and attract new trade to the area.
ÔÇ£Both ourselves and Sainsbury's are proud of our roots in Tottenham and are committed to working to deliver major regeneration in an area with such a real need.ÔÇØ

Justin King, SainsburyÔÇÖs Chief Executive said:
ÔÇ£Our investment represents a real boost for Tottenham, bringing both new jobs and an exciting place to shop. The opening of our local store on Tottenham High Road also reinforces our commitment to a vibrant future for TottenhamÔÇÖs high street. SainsburyÔÇÖs has been trading in Tottenham for over a quarter of a century and weÔÇÖre proud to invest in the area at this important time.ÔÇØ

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London said:
"This ringing endorsement by one of the UK's leading retailers is confirmation of the huge confidence we all have in this important centre. Apart from the large number of jobs that Sainsbury's new superstore will create, its presence alone will provide a major boost to the regeneration plans for the wider area."

Ekbal Mogra, who runs a sports business on Tottenham High Road and is a member of the Tottenham Traders Partnership, said:
ÔÇ£The prospect of a major employer coming to invest in Tottenham can only be a very positive thing for all other businesses on the High Road, creating vast opportunities for young people and prosperity for other traders.
ÔÇ£The overall shopping experience for Tottenham residents will increase dramatically after this project has been established and that in turn will benefit most businesses in the area. I also welcome news of a SainsburyÔÇÖs Local in Tottenham, this will add more choice for the consumer and will encourage other small businesses around it to flourish.ÔÇØ

The new store will have a great offer for customers, including British fruit and vegetables, fresh meat and fish counters, an in store bakery and a wide range of general merchandise including the new TU clothing range.

Work on the new SainsburyÔÇÖs store will start in the coming months, with the opening planned for late 2013. The convenience store, damaged during the riots last summer, is due to reopen in April 2012.

Jimmy you seem to be the man who knows the most about this subject and definitely know much more than me, when can we expect them to actually start building the new ground?

Back