• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

To be fair to most of the people working on the Olympic stadium project, there was no fudge up on their part. The architects' brief was to design a two thirds temporary, 80K athletics stadium that could easily be scaled down to a permanent 25K athletics stadium after the Games.

It was only after Boris became mayor and insisted, at the eleventh hour, that the stadium should remain fully intact and with a football club as its primary tenant, that the stadium suddenly appeared to be unfit for purpose.

jimmyb, is there anything on proposed ticket prices? I seem to remember doing a club poll about preferred areas of the stadium.

I don't know anything about ticket prices, I'm afraid.

I do remember, however, a report from the Supporters' Trust meeting with the club which said something along the lines that the club were conscious of the need to consider ticket prices for the new stadium carefully if they weren't to end up with loads of empty seats for the less attractive games.

To be fair to most of the people working on the Olympic stadium project, there was no fudge up on their part. The architects' brief was to design a two thirds temporary, 80K athletics stadium that could easily be scaled down to a permanent 25K athletics stadium after the Games.

It was only after Boris became mayor and insisted, at the eleventh hour, that the stadium should remain fully intact and with a football club as its primary tenant, that the stadium suddenly appeared to be unfit for purpose.

Therein is the problem. The brief was too short-sighted and didn't fully consider the future life of the stadium.

The usual dirth of information from official club sources is really forcing many fans to become excellent private investigators!..(though this could simply be Levy's evil-genius way of helping increase employment and skill-set in Tottenham)...

On a more serious note, we know now for sure that increase in capacity is definitely being discussed, even pushed for. Good news.

Would love to see closer to 70k than 60k (probably a pipe-dream, I know)... Now is the time to do it. The window of opportunity will not come again.

It will all be extra monies in future with FFP, for not much extra monies now... Fingers crossed for another Levy maneuver.

West Ham are demanding ?ú2m of public money to relay their pitch?!?! The child-strangling clams. I hope they realise what scumbags this makes them. 8-[

Cheers Jim! It's looking great, I'm sure we can all agree! Finally, Rafa will be able to get a shower to his liking!

I see the paving comes from a company very local to me!! Forever under the feet of Spurs players into the future. :barnet: =P~

The stadium build should have continuous camera feeds from all angles. People would pay to watch that (Daniel, if you read this, please don't make us pay for it).

Just been playing on FM2012 and apparently our new stadium is going to be called the Perryman Stadium.

1D03DE38F701821FB9E0EE3B9F46D1C9B2D4EC83

Great description of a match day experience at the Bernabeu.

I disagree with your statement about airflow and lighting being nonsense though.

Real have had pitch problems in the past, similar to the San Siro ones. I'm sure the Milan clubs have quite a bit of money, equipment and can affort skillful staff, yet their pitch problems have been pretty consistent. There's also a slight climatic difference between Madrid and London, just because something works in Madrid doesn't mean the same thing will work in London.

Isn't it Ajax who have the system where they actually move the entire pitch outside the stadium to let it get sun and air? Surely they don't do that just for the fun of it?

The thing a lot of people don't realise is that the level of understanding and technology used to maintain pitches is improving at an amazing rate.

Simply put, architects don't understand what the optimum conditions are for grass to grow.

The stadiums which move the pitch outside = expensive gimmick.

Building curved stands which improve light and air flow to the turf... had some basis in the past; but this is a science and the understanding of what is needed to produce optimum conditions has moved on.

When the concept of shining lights on the pitch was first introduced, stadiums pretty much had the lights on all the time. I remember flying over Twickenham one evening and seeing the stadium glowing green from where the lights were on all night.

Relatively recently a company was able to show that grass can only 'take' a certain amount of light each day. After that you're just wasting the electricity as it makes no difference to the quality of the turf. So you see the lighting rig shown in the photos which is moved across the pitch for a set number of hours each day. At Old Trafford you will see the rigs out on the pitch straight after the game before the tv coverage is finished as the groundsman believes that this will help the turf recover quickest after use.

That company now supplies their system to most top clubs and national stadiums in Europe. Combine that with the use of Desso pitches and a top quality playing surface can be maintained whatever the stadium design.

Wolves did this for their new stand in mid-season

They can very easily place cameras on the side of or ontop of the North stand, as well as on the Supermarket, but the ultimate area will be the North stand as phase one of the stadium will of course have a massive opening there. Then they can put the cameras on the new North stand for the construction of the second phase of the stadium build, which involves the South Stand build.

tc, brain:

A stadium with curved upper corners doesn't guarantee proper airflow to the pitch. It can help, but airflow is somewhat random and affected by seasonal temperature changes and the effect that surrounding structures can create.

I've seen golf courses have to chop out stands of trees to let air flow freely into valley holes where warm, stagnant air was letting fungus develop on greens and fairways. It's a lot harder to design intimate stadiums with big gaps for ventilation. And there certainly isn't room in London to create space for a stadium with a mobile pitch.

I'm shocked, quite frankly, that someone like Q from James Bond hasn't emerged to invent useful gizmos to improve this sport and serve the greater good of a nation. I'm thinking giant, adjustable mirrors(DER DER, DER-DER!) to reflect sunlight from the stadium roof. Maybe a giant field-venting bellows that fans could get a chance to operate during stadium tours(see how many greenskeepers you can blow over!).

Last edited:
All we need is a removable South Stand to let air and sun in.

Sod it, let's build a horseshoe stadium with Spurs on the side

tc, brain:

A stadium with curved upper corners doesn't guarantee proper airflow to the pitch. It can help, but airflow is somewhat random and affected by seasonal temperature changes and the effect that surrounding structures can create.

I've seen golf courses have to chop out stands of trees to let air flow freely into valley holes where warm, stagnant air was letting fungus develop on greens and fairways. It's a lot harder to design intimate stadiums with big gaps for ventilation. And there certainly isn't room in London to create space for a stadium with a mobile pitch.

I'm shocked, quite frankly, that someone like Q from James Bond hasn't emerged to invent useful gizmos to improve this sport and serve the greater good of a nation. I'm thinking giant, adjustable mirrors(DER DER, DER-DER!) to reflect sunlight from the stadium roof. Maybe a giant field-venting bellows that fans could get a chance to operate during stadium tours(see how many greenskeepers you can blow over!).

See my last post - the curved design concept is out dated and moveable pitches completely unnecessary. The light rigs shown in people's photos are better than sunlight. Pitches are tested to micro biological level for parasites or bacteria that might destabilise the turf.

Its a science!

Last edited:
Back