• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

Re: New stadium and training ground thread - Pg 74 Haringey Council plans 2025

Not interested in City's plans on this thread, thanks.

Meaningless - because they can throw as much money at it as they like.

It's still a training centre. Beyond the two reserve team stadiums, it's interesting to see what they do. If it isn't for you, then skip ahead to the next post.

It's still a training centre. Beyond the two reserve team stadiums, it's interesting to see what they do. If it isn't for you, then skip ahead to the next post.

Yes, but it's not OUR training centre - which, along with OUR new stadium, is what this thread is about.

fudge City!

worth an inclusion imo - in fairness it does look great, i suppose that if you are going to have a billionaire owner throwing his money at your club then the Sheiks are the type you'd want (not that id want any owner like this), they do seem keen on building something rather than just totally focused on the present

What does everyone think of the club's name for the new training centre - Hotspur Way?

I have to say that my immediate reaction was not positive. I thought it was a bit brick, to be honest. Would have preferred just to call it Bulls Cross.

But, after some reflection, I'm warming to it. Hotspur Way has a clear (and deliberate, IMO) double entendre. Yes "Way" could just be a synonym for "Road", "Street" or "Lane".

But we also talk of the "Spurs Way" of playing football. And since the new training centre is as much about developing our own players as it is about training our first team, Hotspur Way is an apt name for the place where we will teach our young players how to play the game. It has echoes of Ajax's academy name - De Toekomst or, in English, The Future.

I like the street name for the approach. Its a clever name.

But if we name the whole centre the Hotspur Way its overkill and becomes cheesy.

P.S. People have been quoting how players etc think our training centre is, or is one of, the best in Europe. City's new enterprise is surely a relevant consideration. If it takes City''s new owners to best ours, I'll take that as a good thing.

Just watched the video of City's new centre on the Guardian's story of it - it does look incredible. Hard not to be jealous of that. But it is important to say that they can do whatever they want with their unlimited funds.

Mate of mine saw Gary Mabbutt at some event recently. He hinted that we could possibly ground share with MK Dons for a season.

He (Mabbutt) also said it can't be good for the players the way we always leave transfer deals to the last minute all the time.
Remember suggesting this possibility a few months back when MK Dons announced they were to increase their capacity from 22,000 to 30,000.

MK is a good 50 miles north of WHL so it would be a strange one. The only way it could make any sense would be if our new stadium was completed within a year instead of over three as orginally planned. This way the club would start to reap the benefits from an increased capacity two years earlier, thereby helping that much more towards building costs.

Could also mean we would not need to play in a half-completed stadium for one full season, something none of us would particularly look forward to with relish.

Also, this way we'd probably be up and running before West Ham got their grubby little butts into the rebuilt Olympic Stadium.

Thoughts?

Remember suggesting this possibility a few months back when MK Dons announced they were to increase their capacity from 22,000 to 30,000.

MK is a good 50 miles north of WHL so it would be a strange one. The only way it could make any sense would be if our new stadium was completed within a year instead of over three as orginally planned. This way the club would start to reap the benefits from an increased capacity two years earlier, thereby helping that much more towards building costs.

Could also mean we would not need to play in a half-completed stadium for one full season, something none of us would particularly look forward to with relish.

Also, this way we'd probably be up and running before West Ham got their grubby little butts into the rebuilt Olympic Stadium.

Thoughts?

Err......I can't speak for anyone else but I would far rather that we play for one season in a two thirds complete, 37-40K stadium in Tottenham than have to make fortnightly journeys all the way up to Milton fudging Keynes to play in a 30K stadium that is located on the edge of some soulless retail park!

By the way, there is no way that the current stadium could be demolished and the new one built in the space of one year.

Err......I can't speak for anyone else but I would far rather that we play for one season in a two thirds complete, 37-40K stadium in Tottenham than have to make fortnightly journeys all the way up to Milton fudging Keynes to play in a 30K stadium that is located on the edge of some soulless retail park!

By the way, there is no way that the current stadium could be demolished and the new one built in the space of one year.
Fair point. But isn'tt the present plan to build two-thirds of the stadium whilst the current one is still in use, so could it be that the plan has changed so that instead of taking three seasons to complete, by moving to mK it would take just two?

Why else would Mabbutt have hinted about MK? He presumably has access to a few people in the know?

Spurs to play in MK for a season? hey ho, that would be time to get a season ticket again!! Can't see it happening, what would happen to the corporate hospitality?, and as for the genteel folk of Milton Keynes exposed to the harsh accents of Norf London, (not to mention some of our hard-core fans of the knuckle dragging variety), well it doesn't bear thinking about.
But as I live (relatively) round the corner - I'd love it. In fact, I'd double love it, so tough luck all you good folk from N17 and environs, Milton Keynes deserves to host the mighty Spurs for a season!

Fair point. But isn'tt the present plan to build two-thirds of the stadium whilst the current one is still in use, so could it be that the plan has changed so that instead of taking three seasons to complete, by moving to mK it would take just two?

Why else would Mabbutt have hinted about MK? He presumably has access to a few people in the know?

Yes. That's definitely possible. As you say, it would mean that we'd be in a fully complete new stadium a year earlier than scheduled under the current plan.

And there would be significant cost savings to be made by not having to build around the existing stadium, I'd imagine.

On the flip side, we'd lose a sigbnificant amount of revenue by having to play one or two seasons in a mere 30K stadium with inadequate corporate facilities.

Yes. That's definitely possible. As you say, it would mean that we'd be in a fully complete new stadium a year earlier than scheduled under the current plan.

And there would be significant cost savings to be made by not having to build around the existing stadium, I'd imagine.

On the flip side, we'd lose a sigbnificant amount of revenue by having to play one or two seasons in a mere 30K stadium with inadequate corporate facilities.
I'm also wondering whether this could all be a clue to the possibility that the practical difficulties of completing the final phase(s) of the new stadium are beginning to look a tad scary?

Alternatively a move to MK is just one possible Plan B should the stadium build get delayed for any reason.

Of course this is all pure speculation on my part. Nature hates a vacuum!

EDIT: capacity of stadium: MK is being increased to 32K not 30K
Stadium MK expansion to 32,000 in £56m plan

MK Dons have confirmed the second phase of their Stadium MK development will be completed by the start of next season.
The work, which will increase the ground's capacity from 22,000 to 32,000, is being funded by a new £56m retail development on the site.

Last edited:

MK Dons? Am I missing something or do they intend to play to empty stands week in week out, after we're done groundsharing?

I thought he MK Dons stadium share was an old idea, from well before the Stratford fiasco. It might predate the plans for the staged stadium development.

MK would be a lot less travelling for the likes of me, but I would still prefer Tottenham to continue playing in Tottenham.

Could the club be concerned as to whether the North Stand can be demolished and the new pitch laid in the space of one summer? I've always been a bit dubious about whether this is achievable.

MK would be a lot less travelling for the likes of me, but I would still prefer Tottenham to continue playing in Tottenham.
Of course. But we're talking about one season here, a season when maybe the option of staying at WHL amidst potentially daunting safety issues is no longer open to us.

Again remember this is all pure speculation. It could all be a load of codswallop.

Wouldnt Wembley be a better option? I guess it all depends if we are successful at that time of needing to move for a season (lets be honest there is more demand when you are successful and on form).

Wembley would allow people and fans who never got tickets to go to games. Season ticket holder - with our long waiting list - most of them would snap at the chance of getting season tickets.

Wouldnt Wembley be a better option? I guess it all depends if we are successful at that time of needing to move for a season (lets be honest there is more demand when you are successful and on form).

Wembley would allow people and fans who never got tickets to go to games. Season ticket holder - with our long waiting list - most of them would snap at the chance of getting season tickets.
Wembley would be absolutely brilliant. However, assuming there IS a question mark about playing in the new stadium whilst it's being completed, you'd also assume Levy has already looked into it. Apart from anything else, the FA would doubtless charge an arm, a leg and a couple of dangly bits besides. Also you wonder whether the venue is already pre-booked for too many other events.

But maybe it is not either/or. Say we played at the lane for the start of the build process, while it was still practical, and later moved to another ground when staying at the lane would cause unacceptable delays to the build schedule.

That makes sense. The plan and timetable is laid out but some contingency plans if we need more time for one or more phases makes sense.

A shorter move could "lengthen" the summer period for finishing the new stadium. We could play most of the season in the partially built stadium and play the end elsewhere or start the next season elsewhere while it is finished.

Back