• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Stadium and Training Ground - Pg 104 Northumberland Park master plan

What makes our new training ground so state of the art and better than most other teams' training grounds?

I'm not belittling it at all, I just don't know much about it.

Primarily the incredibly life-like statue of our manager outside it.

AxiGdcaCEAEN9v-.jpg

My question is why?

You don't play indoors when you play matches. Practise in the conditions you play in.

I recall a situation where arsenal had some kind of advantage over other clubs, I think it was in adverse weather and they had the only indoor full size pitch in the country, or at least London. Can only help, surely.

As well as the weather I imagine that there will be times when you want a very closed training session with no one, not even the tea lady, watching.

Lastly, why does it matter if it's not the conditions you play in? It's not as if they are playing on a giant marshmallow, id say your point was valid if they always trained indoors. But I'm sure it's got a use.

Originally Posted by DubaiSpur
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...-hotspur-title

Our new Enfield place is utterly awe-inspiring, according to the first paragraph of this. Cannot wait to see it in its full glory once the lads are done with the USA tour. Muhahahah!

Martin Lipton was equally gushing about it all in an interview with Danny Kelly on Talksport. Said that it easily bears comparison to Man Utd's, Arsenal's, Chelsea's and Liverpool's.

Also made the interesting observation that the reason why the cost rose from an initial £30 million to £45 million is that Spurs massively upgraded the spec.

Last edited:
My question is why?

You don't play indoors when you play matches. Practise in the conditions you play in.

Maybe if we were training in the 1970's that would be right....

There are a huge number of reasons for having an indoor pitch due to the weather.

As a coach getting your ideas across is more difficult if you're outside when it's pouring rain in gale force winds. The players are going to be more distracted, and that's if they can even hear what the coaches are saying.

Players are more likely to pick up injuries, slip when making tackles etc.

...and why spend millions on these great pitches if we're going to ruin them by ripping them apart. Great playing surfaces need to be looked after.

Spurs lodge has that inflatable one. Not all clubs have indoor pitches but the big clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal certainly do. It's just that our one is way better than any of them.

Better? Our indoor pitch is pretty much exactly the same as the ones used at the top clubs.

Better? Our indoor pitch is pretty much exactly the same as the ones used at the top clubs.

Ours is better in one respect but worse in another.

It is worse because it isn't full sized. It's only 3/4 sized because planners turned down our original application partly on the basis of the whole building complex being too big. I don't know whether or not that really matters.

It is better than other clubs' indoor pitches because Spurs have clearly given it more thought, love and money. Although indoors, it's not just a big, dark shed. It has that EFTE glass roof, which makes it a light and pleasant place to be. It has that sweeping, curving roof - which, on the inside, adjoins a sweeping, curving wall of wood. It makes a design feature of the roof "beams" as they curve down to ground level. It looks beautiful. Properly designed rather than being a mere functional utility. Again, I don't know whether or not that really matters.

By the way, I doubt that the first team will be using the indoor facility much anyway. Only in the most extreme of weather conditions, I'd have thought.

It'll mostly be for the benefit of the younger academy groups.

What makes our new training ground so state of the art and better than most other teams' training grounds?

I'm not belittling it at all, I just don't know much about it.

I dont know the details well enough - but the view I have based on what I have seen is that it isnt one particular element that makes it so great, rather the entire package.

It seems absolutely everything is top notch, spared no expense quality - which is a great start.

Then there is just the scale of it.
There are numerous pitches of premiership quality
There is the indoor pitch
There is the fitness facilities (the gym is meant to be impressive and the pool even has the option you can swim against a current)
AVB mentioned nutrition
I wouldnt be at all surprised if it had a full health suite as well (on site Doctor/Dentist...)

Essentially it caters for a player EVERY need in a high quality environment.

EDIT - to add - its purpose built for modern day football. How many trainign grounds actually are? The way teams prepare for games, train, look after players etc has changed immeasurably in the last 20 years alone, how much do you suppose it has changed since many training facilities were built? I have visions of a 70s style set up that has just been extended and augmented to suit changing needs at many clubs - rather than a bespoke design fit for purpose...

Last edited:
Back