• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Ange’s last game today before he becomes our new Head Coach.

I saw reports ( don't remember from who) saying Celtic will offer him a new contract making him their best paid manager ever.

I have also just seen on Facebook that some of our fans are trying to run a campaign to make sure we don't appoint him as manager... :rolleyes:

So will see.

It's a very big step for ange... I consider him a higher risk than Nuno. It's very different trying to motivate top paid professional sportsmen.

It's not just about understanding how to play nice football. Tactics against coaches and players at another level, and more teams to study compared to the Scottish league.

His experience though long in Scotland, still falls short for a club that should be in Europe . He will be a miracle man if he takes us into Europe - which is yet another learning experience.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

It going to be a transition but it is for any manager and as I have said a millions times, there are no guarantees on success based on where the manager has come from or what they have won. The whole hasn't managed in the PL is probably a blessing these days, other clubs that have broken their own ceilings have taken a risk rather than appoint someone with PL experiences. I know its different levels but its being proven year on year that the managers with PL experience are now taking teams down and those without and a fresh perspective are exceeding what those managers ever did in a year or two.

Ultimately its what should be his expectations, for me its to see an obvious culture and way of playing change with no real focus on the league year one with an emphasis on squad redevelopment. That for me would be a season one progression with a plan

Last edited:
I saw reports ( don't remember from who) saying Celtic will offer him a new contract making him their best paid manager ever.

I have also just seen on Facebook that some of our fans are trying to run a campaign to make sure we don't appoint him as manager... :rolleyes:

So will see.

Oh fans on Facebook, will Levy be able to sleep at nights with this threat to his job?

Chris Powell doesn’t work at the club anymore
I was talking to him at Villa away
And if he needs to learns the ropes then he js not the guy
TBF I think your comment is completely unreasonable about him
He was under pressure at Celtic and has dealt with thag

I hadn't seen that about Powell - it must be very recent (the club were still tweeting about him in March)? I've heard he's generally regarded as a very good guy and a decent coach

What pressure is there at Celtic? It's the ultimate flat track bully club. You never play competitive domestic games, and there are no expectations to win any European ones. Your most high profile player/biggest ego to manage is James McCarthy. And Cameron Carter-Vickers is the greatest defender the league has ever seen!

I hadn't seen that about Powell - it must be very recent (the club were still tweeting about him in March)? I've heard he's generally regarded as a very good guy and a decent coach

What pressure is there at Celtic? It's the ultimate flat track bully club. You never play competitive domestic games, and there are no expectations to win any European ones. Your most high profile player/biggest ego to manage is James McCarthy. And Cameron Carter-Vickers is the greatest defender the league has ever seen!

You think the Celtic job does not come with its own pressures within its own rights?

The level of players at his disposal has nothing to do with the pressure and scrutiny he gets from media and fans up there. Having to win every single game, even if his team is slightly better than the rest.

The alternative is that he genuinely knows no one better and Ange is his choice because he's all Munn knows / has easy access to.

Hiring people you've worked with or known before isn't unusual, and when you're starting out somewhere, even more so. The problem for us is Munn is an absolute nobody in European football - he has never worked in Europe, his experience is in Australia and China.

So if he goes down that route, he'll be drawing on his Australia connections to get us someone - likely Ange. And that, as we have discussed before, is a large gamble at the least.

Still don't get the point of the guy, tbh. You want your men at the top well connected, in the know in domestic, European and world football, with a large rolodex of people to call. To replace the abysmal Daniel Levy, we got in a guy whose career was in China and Australia. Dunno how we identified him, but if he ends up appointing Postecoglou, it is not a promising sign as to his competence, imo.
That's a pretty bold statement to say that Munn is an absolute nobody in European football. Have you followed his career closely and compared him to other chiefs of football operations around the world and Europe? Do you think that his skills and experience are not transferrable to European clubs, given football is football the world over, with the main difference between Europe and the rest of the world being quality on the pitch? And do you think that someone who has been involved in football for so long, and City Football Group at that, would have no idea of who the best managers are in the top leagues? That would be like saying that someone who coaches basketball in Australia knows nothing of the best players and coaches in the NBA.

These are the kind of simplistic and shallow arguments that really irk me. Football is a global game and we live in the age of the internet. To claim that someone in the highest levels of football management knows only what is around him is incredibly blinkered.

That's a pretty bold statement to say that Munn is an absolute nobody in European football. Have you followed his career closely and compared him to other chiefs of football operations around the world and Europe? Do you think that his skills and experience are not transferrable to European clubs, given football is football the world over, with the main difference between Europe and the rest of the world being quality on the pitch? And do you think that someone who has been involved in football for so long, and City Football Group at that, would have no idea of who the best managers are in the top leagues? That would be like saying that someone who coaches basketball in Australia knows nothing of the best players and coaches in the NBA.

These are the kind of simplistic and shallow arguments that really irk me. Football is a global game and we live in the age of the internet. To claim that someone in the highest levels of football management knows only what is around him is incredibly blinkered.

I think we also over think and pay too much attention to things that managers and footballs pay no attention too. They care about, the level you play at and what they are going to be paid. If anyone thinks a manager cares who is behind his paycheque I think they are thinking too hard. We are likely paying the price for lack of CL football which its funny because plenty on here said they were sick of it and it was no achievement, we are going to see just how important it is to be in that tent rather than out of it.

It's very difficult for outsiders to comprehend the pressure of the old firm, it's like Liverpool on steroids, speed and then some.

Yeh man, the press up there are a closed shop from the rest of the UK but the pressure there are huge, the fan pressure is huge, the city lives and dies for it....its Monday to Friday working to get to the match, all the city talks about

Ange’s last game today before he becomes our new Head Coach.

Presumably we don’t need to pay Celtic any compensation as I believe Ange has always worked on a 1 year rolling contract with them.

He brings no coaching staff which is intriguing so I guess Mason could end up being our no 2. Any idea how many coaches he will want appointed? Probably a smaller team than what Conte had.

Just need the new Head of Recruitment now and on we roll.

Hopefully the funds we have saved on this appointment helps with the pot needed for players.

The target for next season should be Europa League qualification via the league and with some luck maybe win a domestic cup.

Beyond that I am hoping for a real transformation in playing style, culture and togetherness from the fans.
Don't...

As for the coaching staff, I think he mentioned in an interview that he likes to give chances to people who would never get a chance (provided they deserve them, of course). So he brings in new people to every club he goes to. And even if he hasn't worked with them in the past, he gets across to them very quickly what he needs and gets them up to speed.

To me it makes sense that when we hire a manager we really should just hire the manager and maybe his number 2. All the other entourage that comes with managers these days are positions that the club should have permanent staff for. For example, why would we need to depend on a manager to bring in a fitness coach? We should already have a Head of Fitness and Performance who is there no matter who the manager is.

Posted by a Celtic fan on another forum. Some worrying quotes in there, especially the last one.

Postecoglou's system works for Celtic as they play teams who put ten men in defence and allow them possession, practically every game. This means their forward players can attack at will, which he has trained them to do well and this will get goals. Teams though that on the occasion do attack them, have exploited the inverted full backs Ange plays. He's relied on Vickers immensely and when he hasn't played, they've been vulnerable to attacks and since he's been injured they've been very poor at the back, as was evident in the last old firm.

Only Rangers have given them a game and they're in a bad place and due a rebuild and have been badly managed in regards to recruitment (something Ange has got right and it's made a big difference). Celtic have clearly got the better of Rangers since Beale came in at Xmas with results, but in reality, Rangers have done well to exploit Ange's system quite well, they've just lacked the players to maximise possession, having only one recognised forward in Morelos, who has been poor and had his eyes on the exit door being now out of contract.

In Europe, Celtic haven't the resources to truly compete with the bigger teams, which is no fault of theirs given the finances and the fact their regular Scottish fodder standard of opposition is so poor, it's hardly practice for Champions League level teams. But still, Ange has stubbornly stuck to the same formation... Attack and keep running, still playing inverted fullbacks, even when teams have easily worked out all they have to do is exploit the wings when the full backs are out of position and they're short at the back. Good teams just let Celtic tire themselves out, then hit fast on the break. Even Scottish teams started to catch on.

Perhaps with better resources and players, Ange could make the system work in the SPL. He's charasmatic and seems to create a good environment for players. It will take time though to implement his system, in Scotland when he took over, Celtic were still a strong team, even though Rangers had just won the league the season before, the players he had were always going to be enough to beat SPL teams. I think having to face MUCH better teams in the EPL will be a step beyond his current abilities, especially as he sticks so strictly to the one formation/tactics and teams will take advantage of that and punish his naivety and inexperience.

On recruitment he's done well bringing players from Japan. Three players in particular made a huge difference. Kyogo, Hatate and Maeda. When Kyogo or/and Hatate haven't played - especially if Vickers is also out - the fringe players struggle to replace them and make an impact and Celtic can be very sluggish. This could be down to the fast system he plays, needing players to be playing regularly to hold it together. Ange isn't big on rotation.

Posted by a Celtic fan on another forum. Some worrying quotes in there, especially the last one.

Postecoglou's system works for Celtic as they play teams who put ten men in defence and allow them possession, practically every game. This means their forward players can attack at will, which he has trained them to do well and this will get goals. Teams though that on the occasion do attack them, have exploited the inverted full backs Ange plays. He's relied on Vickers immensely and when he hasn't played, they've been vulnerable to attacks and since he's been injured they've been very poor at the back, as was evident in the last old firm.

Only Rangers have given them a game and they're in a bad place and due a rebuild and have been badly managed in regards to recruitment (something Ange has got right and it's made a big difference). Celtic have clearly got the better of Rangers since Beale came in at Xmas with results, but in reality, Rangers have done well to exploit Ange's system quite well, they've just lacked the players to maximise possession, having only one recognised forward in Morelos, who has been poor and had his eyes on the exit door being now out of contract.

In Europe, Celtic haven't the resources to truly compete with the bigger teams, which is no fault of theirs given the finances and the fact their regular Scottish fodder standard of opposition is so poor, it's hardly practice for Champions League level teams. But still, Ange has stubbornly stuck to the same formation... Attack and keep running, still playing inverted fullbacks, even when teams have easily worked out all they have to do is exploit the wings when the full backs are out of position and they're short at the back. Good teams just let Celtic tire themselves out, then hit fast on the break. Even Scottish teams started to catch on.

Perhaps with better resources and players, Ange could make the system work in the SPL. He's charasmatic and seems to create a good environment for players. It will take time though to implement his system, in Scotland when he took over, Celtic were still a strong team, even though Rangers had just won the league the season before, the players he had were always going to be enough to beat SPL teams. I think having to face MUCH better teams in the EPL will be a step beyond his current abilities, especially as he sticks so strictly to the one formation/tactics and teams will take advantage of that and punish his naivety and inexperience.

On recruitment he's done well bringing players from Japan. Three players in particular made a huge difference. Kyogo, Hatate and Maeda. When Kyogo or/and Hatate haven't played - especially if Vickers is also out - the fringe players struggle to replace them and make an impact and Celtic can be very sluggish. This could be down to the fast system he plays, needing players to be playing regularly to hold it together. Ange isn't big on rotation.

We can only get a certain level of manager as they need to be prepared to work for enic medium to long term. From that level of manager there will be areas of concern by some fans so not really sure what purpose it serves to dig up and post these things?

People need to understand we are an upper mid table club at the moment.

Also we have one game a week next season and possibly for at least 2 seasons, so rotation is not a big deal.

An awful lot of players need to leave the club as well with question marks on lloris, sessegnon, reguilon, perisic, emerson, davies, sanchez, tanganga, dier, lenglet, rodon, lo celso, winks, ndombele, hojbjerg. And danjuma, lucas have already left I believe.

Angelos (I refuse to use Australia's banter nicknames) move to Tottenham would be a similar step up to Potter's move to Chelsea.

And the same people who think Potter was a cert to succeed there think the same thing about Postecoglou.
The same people who thought Potter would fail think the same here.
And the rest of us are stuck in the middle getting lectured to by both extremes.

It might work. It's a gamble though.

Get Scott Parker in as assistant, to balance things out?

Angelos (I refuse to use Australia's banter nicknames) move to Tottenham would be a similar step up to Potter's move to Chelsea.

And the same people who think Potter was a cert to succeed there think the same thing about Postecoglou.
The same people who thought Potter would fail think the same here.
And the rest of us are stuck in the middle getting lectured to by both extremes.

It might work. It's a gamble though.

Well done on describing literally every single managerial appointment.

What’s wrong with nicknames?

We can only get a certain level of manager as they need to be prepared to work for enic medium to long term. From that level of manager there will be areas of concern by some fans so not really sure what purpose it serves to dig up and post these things?

People need to understand we are an upper mid table club at the moment.

Also we have one game a week next season and possibly for at least 2 seasons, so rotation is not a big deal.

An awful lot of players need to leave the club as well with question marks on lloris, sessegnon, reguilon, perisic, emerson, davies, sanchez, tanganga, dier, lenglet, rodon, lo celso, winks, ndombele, hojbjerg. And danjuma, lucas have already left I believe.
The purpose that posting these things serves is to get as well-rounded a view as possible.

Back