• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
But that doesn’t mean he isn’t any good
We don’t know in reality
Hence the reference to his past
I think you have to credit any guy who makes his way up
But you also have to factor in the next guy has to be as sure fire hit as we can get

It doesn't mean he isn't/won't be any good and that's not what I'm saying - it's just that the work he has done so far is no yardstick - it's a proper punt/gamble that he will be able to step up to a level and perform where the scope for improvement (comparatively) is so small

You don't appoint non-league managers to a PL club. You want them to get some more experience in a league that is closer to the PL. But it also doesn't have to be the next closest league to the PL. It is completely different to appoint a manager from non-league to the PL than appointing a manager from the SPL or Eredivisie to a PL club.

Also, I don't think tommy said the J-League is flaky. He said it is quite competitive, with 9 different teams having won the title in the past 15 years.

He literally said flaky and that teams often go from bottom top top from one season to next - and then went on to praise Ange for doing just that. If it's a common occurrence in that league then i don't see why it's such a feather in his cap?

You're correct about the stat but the competitiveness of the league itself is irrelevant, I think. The Albanian league might be very competitive (I don't know if it is, it's just an example) but I still wouldn't consider someone who had never managed elsewhere.

In very poor leagues, continental competitions are often a good indication of how a manager is doing. When you drop down to a certain level, one good player is often enough to make a difference but such teams get found out at continental level.

Then again, it's going to be a throw of the dice, whoever it is. For what it's worth, I read some good things about Postecoglou when he was managing Australia. But there's so much more than the technical side to succeed at any club, let alone a club like Spurs. We saw that with Conte.
The thing is, it's not just his technical style. This is from one of his former assistants: (full article here)

That was a really, really nice time to spend with him. Not many people at the club had that opportunity like I had. He’s just got this amazing ability to help people to work harder, to run more, to commit more. As a coach, it was just something that I needed those days, a little bit of guidance.

He was a master in motivation - and I don’t think that I can be even close to him, when it comes to motivating people. He is really something special, the way he speaks to players before the game, his match analysis and stuff like that. He’s just second to none.

When we had those 36 games undefeated, I remember some of his speeches, and they were just unbelievable. Players would go to the wall for him.

I think @alekaras is right tbf

Nuno was on £7m per year. For context that would have put him as 6th highest this season in the league. Conte, Mourinho and Poch were also on big salaries.

I don’t think Levy cheaps out on managers wages.
I think Nuno was on £3-4m per year. He was clearly a stop-gap, so I doubt we would have offered anything more than that.

He literally said flaky and that teams often go from bottom top top from one season to next - and then went on to praise Ange for doing just that. If it's a common occurrence in that league then i don't see why it's such a feather in his cap?
The fact it is a common occurrence is not important. What is important is what makes them go from bottom to top or vice versa. It's not something that happens by itself. It's due to coaching and recruiting.

The fact it is a common occurrence is not important. What is important is what makes them go from bottom to top or vice versa. It's not something that happens by itself. It's due to coaching and recruiting.

Of course, but the frequency with which teams supposedly improve there suggests it's not that difficult to do?

Like i say, when you're at a lower level there is much greater scope for improvement. You don't need to have pep level tactics and top level coaching to make big strides lower down the pyramid you just need to be better than your opponents who's standards aren't that high in the grand scheme of things, same thing with signings - the question is whether or not the manager is not only just at the top end of the level he is managing at (4th or 5th tier of world football, maybe?) but at a level he can make an impact at in a tier 1 league.

Last edited:
Back