• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Ipad

Nothing LOL about it, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

But I grew up programming frogger, so I'm more Raspberry Pi than Apple. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Google, as a technology flavour, is therefore more my taste.

Apple is not so good for me. But absolutely superb for those that would struggle to hook up a home cinema from scratch.

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but I hope you can see the difference between the user groups.

I wan't to customise under the bonnet. You are happy with the pretty skin.

Each to their own, but I've got a fit girlfriend, I don't need a pretty netbook.

I used to spend a lot of my time customising my phone and playing around with various hacked firmware, trying to get everything just right.

I got given an iPhone at work and the thing that I've discovered is that I use it a hell of a lot more as a phone/messaging client/mail client/browser than anything else I've ever used. You don't need to be a luddite to get the benefit of intuitive interfaces and devices that just work.

Obviously I'm not a fan of the closed-source nature of it, but if it makes the phone a device that enables what I do rather than being a focus for my time then I'll live with it.

I'm a web developer, far from an idiot when it comes to technology but Apple is the best for me. I don't need to spend time tossing about with extra settings and what not - iPhone does everything I want it to at this point in time, whilst having a great interface and interacting with all my other Mac products.

I am absolutely in love with the new iPad too. I use AirPlay to play FIFA on my TV, controlling it with my iPhone. AirPlay is an amazing feature.

AoSlhKVCAAAgcJy.jpg:medium

Tee hee :ross:

Heard the same old school playground arguments before.

I remember as much when I bought my HTC Desire.

Android vs Apple:

Screen - Desire (800x480) LED / iPhone (480x320) LCD
Processor - Desire (1GHz) / iPhone (600MHz)
RAM - Desire (576MB) / iPhone (256MB)
Camera - Desire (5mp) / iPhone (3mp)
Display - Desire (3.7") / iPhone (3.5")
Memory Card - Desire (Micro SD) / iPhone (none)
Tethering - Desire (YES) / iPhone (NO)
Multi-tasking - Desire (YES) / iPhone (NO)
Price - Desire (FREE) / iPhone ($$$)

The Android device was *undeniably* superior in every single way. But of course the iPhone was the "best" device, because EVERYBODY had one, so it must be best. :rolleyes:

Apple is a closed book and almost invariably "lower spec" for longer (due to the simple fact that they produce their own hardware)

And they do a bloody good job at what they do. But for somebody that's lived and breathed technology since they were 5 years old, vendors like Google make more sense. Bleeding edge tech, open standards, fast moving.....

Apple is SUPERB for relative technophobes. (Have you seen how many over 50/60s use them? That should tell you everything you need to know!)

Same thing with the iPad 2. There was a far superior Android device.

But Asus don't spend billions of dollars on tossy marketing, so unless you're in the know, you're not aware.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime_Tablet_review

"The Transformer Prime is a thing of beauty. Despite being easily as thin and light as most rivals, this aluminium-clad Android tablet is far more powerful thanks to its quad-core Tegra 3 internals. This also means that smooth 1080p video playback on a tablet and console-quality gaming on Android are finally realities, and the Prime shows them off on the best tablet screen weÔÇÖve yet seen. The keyboard dock is the icing on a very tasty cake, and though there are a few concessions compared to the original Asus Eee Pad TransformerÔÇÖs dock, itÔÇÖs still an amazing add-on that not only makes the Prime one of the most versatile devices on the market, but also one of the longest-lasting. Quite simply, the Transformer Prime is the best Android tablet available and arguably the best tablet per se."

Same old argument really. It's not only hardware that matters. iOS and Mac OS X are the difference.

As for the 'closed shop' argument - cool, that's how it works. If you don't like it, don't buy into it. No one, including Apple, is forcing you to. However, I challenge you to walk into JJB and ask them to start selling a pair of shoes you made. Do you think they would? There's absolutely nothing wrong with a store controlling the quality of products it hosts. That is what Apple does.

Some of you kids have got to have a go on Onlive over Android. I've just had a go on Dirt3 over Wifi on my touchpad and it's fantastic!

i don't really use my Ipad for gaming, but I find it quite annoying that Apple seem to be blocking the release of onlive on the app store for some unknown reason. Rumour is that Apple are going to try and release their own cloud gaming service which is why they haven't approved the onlive app, which is fully functional, but frankly Apple have never been a gaming company and any service in that field that they can come up with is likely to be second rate.

Still Cloudgaming in the UK is still pretty crap at the moment; largely because of our brick broadband network! I've still got the trusty old 360, not to mention not enough time to spend much time gaming anymore, so not the end of the world from my point of view. Still jealous of you Android types tho!

So you play FIFA on your I Pad which is controlled by your phone and displayed on your TV?

Is this via Apple TV?

So you play FIFA on your I Pad which is controlled by your phone and displayed on your TV?

Is this via Apple TV?

Yep, it's good though I need to buy a faster router I think. Works amazingly well for video. I don't have cable TV here, I stream everything off my Mac mini (plugged into my TV) but now with my Apple TV I can stream things from apps like TED, news channels from Australia and other things. Great for showing things off, like all the photos from my travels.

i don't really use my Ipad for gaming, but I find it quite annoying that Apple seem to be blocking the release of onlive on the app store for some unknown reason. Rumour is that Apple are going to try and release their own cloud gaming service which is why they haven't approved the onlive app, which is fully functional, but frankly Apple have never been a gaming company and any service in that field that they can come up with is likely to be second rate.

Still Cloudgaming in the UK is still pretty crap at the moment; largely because of our brick broadband network! I've still got the trusty old 360, not to mention not enough time to spend much time gaming anymore, so not the end of the world from my point of view. Still jealous of you Android types tho!

Yeah, I'm still mostly 360... and after having an absolute brain melt at the new X-Com trailer, decided to download the original off steam for ?ú2.99 and I'm locked back into that!

I used to spend a lot of my time customising my phone and playing around with various hacked firmware, trying to get everything just right.

I got given an iPhone at work and the thing that I've discovered is that I use it a hell of a lot more as a phone/messaging client/mail client/browser than anything else I've ever used. You don't need to be a luddite to get the benefit of intuitive interfaces and devices that just work.

Obviously I'm not a fan of the closed-source nature of it, but if it makes the phone a device that enables what I do rather than being a focus for my time then I'll live with it.

But you can do ALL that for less money on an Android. (Please review my Desire vs iPhone direct comparison. I still have my Desire 2 years on. It is the best phone I've ever had)

I use my phone constantly for email, browser, messaging and voice. It's almost always connected to Wi-Fi or 3G.

So if that really is all you want to do with it, why spend a huge amount of money on hardware and costly subscriptions?

Let me take a wild guess, you also have a pair of Beats by Dre headphones? (Don't even get me started on how inferior they are to headphones of half the cost.)

I'm totally cool with you wanting everything Apple. But I just wish you'd all admit that you have bought into the marketing. There is nothing you're doing that can't be done on a much cheaper device.

And let me reiterate. They make fantastic kit. But the premium price tag is all about the marketing.

This is simple playground mentality. When I was at school I had to have wallabies, fluorescent socks, Nike Air Max [insert whatever was deemed fashionable at the time]

Call it keeping up with the Jones'. Peer pressure. But I didn't force my parents to buy that brick because it was superior kit.

You wore it because everybody else did, and kids under 10 get bullied if they're different.

What are you all afraid of???? :)

But you can do ALL that for less money on an Android. (Please review my Desire vs iPhone direct comparison. I still have my Desire 2 years on. It is the best phone I've ever had)

I use my phone constantly for email, browser, messaging and voice. It's almost always connected to Wi-Fi or 3G.

So if that really is all you want to do with it, why spend a huge amount of money on hardware and costly subscriptions?

Let me take a wild guess, you also have a pair of Beats by Dre headphones? (Don't even get me started on how inferior they are to headphones of half the cost.)

I'm totally cool with you wanting everything Apple. But I just wish you'd all admit that you have bought into the marketing. There is nothing you're doing that can't be done on a much cheaper device.

And let me reiterate. They make fantastic kit. But the premium price tag is all about the marketing.

This is simple playground mentality. When I was at school I had to have wallabies, fluorescent socks, Nike Air Max [insert whatever was deemed fashionable at the time]

Call it keeping up with the Jones'. Peer pressure. But I didn't force my parents to buy that brick because it was superior kit.

You wore it because everybody else did, and kids under 10 get bullied if they're different.

Why do you assume it's all because of marketing? I got my first Mac in 2003, a 12" MacBook Pro. In that time, I've had to take my Mac to be repaired once. That is what convinced me that Apple made good products and all the iPods, iPhones, iPads, AirPort Extremes/Expresses and now AppleTV have done a great job for me too. I've had a couple of iPhones replaced. What do you do if your Samsung Galaxy (or whatever you have) breaks? Do you take it to the Samsung Store, sit down for 5 mins and have it replaced on the spot? Or do you have to send it away to be repaired? Apple isn't just about a bit of kit, it's the whole experience, from the buying experience, to the packaging, to the actual product, to the service you get if and when the product breaks. Even if you drop it, you still get another phone on the spot.

Why do you bang on about price? In Australia, you sign up for a contract that would cost you exactly the same as any other smartphone. $80 a month for 2 years and you get a free phone. Same here in Canada, though for some reason they whack on an up-front fee and the contract is 3 years - again, the same as any other phone.

You seem to be completely blinded by your dislike of the Apple cult, but that is nothing new. That's been around for a long time. And if that's why you don't buy Apple products, then that's a little bit sad.

And no, I don't own Beats. I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3's. I bought them from the Apple Store though.

Why do you bang on about price? In Australia, you sign up for a contract that would cost you exactly the same as any other smartphone. $80 a month for 2 years and you get a free phone. Same here in Canada, though for some reason they whack on an up-front fee and the contract is 3 years - again, the same as any other phone.

In the UK that's not how it works. :)

Most of my friends spend around 300-400 dollars on an Apple device. And pay higher monthly charges.

That's not quite true. I've used android on some decent hardware but nothing comes close as far as usability. Yes, you can probably make an android phone better than an iPhone but if you're trying to make that point then you completely missed what I wrote above - I no longer want to have to tinkle around with my phone all the time, to make backups and to factory reset every time I **** something up on it.

What I want is a device that (out of the box) does everything I want it to really, really well, and doesn't become something I have to do stuff to. I just want it to make the stuff I do easier and sometimes better. That's still not the case with android.

That's not quite true. I've used android on some decent hardware but nothing comes close as far as usability. Yes, you can probably make an android phone better than an iPhone but if you're trying to make that point then you completely missed what I wrote above - I no longer want to have to tinkle around with my phone all the time, to make backups and to factory reset every time I **** something up on it.

What I want is a device that (out of the box) does everything I want it to really, really well, and doesn't become something I have to do stuff to. I just want it to make the stuff I do easier and sometimes better. That's still not the case with android.

So tell me what you cannot do on the Android?

Bearing in mind that earlier, you said you just read emails, surf the web, text and call people.

My phone is stock, no jailbreak.

Connected to my Office 365 emails, I use the stock browser (this site works PERFECTLY on it). And I send hundreds of texts and make thousands of calls.

Facebook and Twitter work great. It's got a camera, telegraph fantasy football app, tube map, SKY+, WiFi hotspot, Tesco and Maps.

It just works. What am I missing?

Edit: I also use Dropbox for cloud access to all my files, and Cardio Trainer for FREE workout mapping (cycling)

Last edited:
Back