• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Ipad

So tell me what you cannot do on the Android?

Bearing in mind that earlier, you said you just read emails, surf the web, text and call people.

My phone is stock, no jailbreak.

Connected to my Office 365 emails, I use the stock browser (this site works PERFECTLY on it). And I send hundreds of texts and make thousands of calls.

Facebook and Twitter work great. It's got a camera, telegraph fantasy football app, tube map, SKY+, WiFi hotspot, Tesco and Maps.

It just works. What am I missing?

Edit: I also use Dropbox for cloud access to all my files, and Cardio Trainer for FREE workout mapping (cycling)

It's not about what it can do - all phones can do all of the above. It's about quickly and intuitively doing it - if sending a text or email is even slightly awkward I just won't bother - I'll send an email from my laptop.

Apart from the UI, the screen on the iPhone makes all of this soooo much easier - there are very few devices out there that can match the iPhone touchscreen and none that are better.

None of this is to say that android can't be better than the iPhone - it certainly has more potential, it's just not better out of the box and I don't have the inclination to make it better any more.

That's not quite true. I've used android on some decent hardware but nothing comes close as far as usability. Yes, you can probably make an android phone better than an iPhone but if you're trying to make that point then you completely missed what I wrote above - I no longer want to have to tinkle around with my phone all the time, to make backups and to factory reset every time I **** something up on it.

What I want is a device that (out of the box) does everything I want it to really, really well, and doesn't become something I have to do stuff to. I just want it to make the stuff I do easier and sometimes better. That's still not the case with android.

I'm wondering if you've actually used Android (in its pure form).

If you're experience of Android is via some ghastly skin applied by Sony or Motorola, I'm not surprised you think it has usability issues.

But in its stock form, it is a beautifully simple O/S.

Perhaps we can compare sending a text.

Android (pure)

- swipe left to get to messages (I have them on their own "desktop")
- 1 click to create new text or open existing thread
- type message
- click send

I'm not sure how it can get any simpler?

And now browsing web.

Android (pure)

- click browser icon on desktop (default page set to Google.co.uk)
- click menu button and select bookmarks
- click Glory-Glory.co.uk
- click "Random"

EDIT: I could always set glory-glory as default page to make it a 1 click process!

Last edited:
And finally, making a call, which I think is really simple

Android (pure)

- click "Phone"
- type first few characters of name (e.g. S C A R A) <---- this is quite clever as its the same for manually typing a number
- Click name to call

This boy in my school bunked school for 3 days, and was 4th in line, but sold his place in the queue for ?ú300

Perhaps we can compare sending a text.

Android (pure)

- swipe left to get to messages (I have them on their own "desktop")
- 1 click to create new text or open existing thread
- type message
- click send

I'm not sure how it can get any simpler?

Until you've owned both, I'm not sure I can explain the difference - it's just easier. If I could get away with not replying to a text on all my previous phones then I wouldn't send one - it just doesn't seem a hassle on the iPhone. Same with most things.

I know it sounds pretty ridiculous, but there really isn't any other way of describing it. Had you asked me a day before I owned an iPhone, my opinions would be almost precisely aligned with yours. Through no choice of my own I ended up with an iPhone and now would never go back.

One thing I've never understood about Android devices is the updates. SOME phones get 'Ice Cream Sandwich' but not all? People complain about Apple not rolling iOS out to older phones...Android's updates seem even more random and weird.

Until you've owned both, I'm not sure I can explain the difference - it's just easier. If I could get away with not replying to a text on all my previous phones then I wouldn't send one - it just doesn't seem a hassle on the iPhone. Same with most things.

I know it sounds pretty ridiculous, but there really isn't any other way of describing it. Had you asked me a day before I owned an iPhone, my opinions would be almost precisely aligned with yours. Through no choice of my own I ended up with an iPhone and now would never go back.

Or you could record the process steps like I did and we might find out that iOS is more complicated, but you're just used to it

I am genuinely interested as I've never used an iPhone

Or you could record the process steps like I did and we might find out that iOS is more complicated, but you're just used to it

I am genuinely interested as I've never used an iPhone

They're all the same number of key presses. It's not being used to an iPhone - like I said, I refused to own one for years but immediately took to using one over all of my previous phones and those I'd tested from the office stockpile.

Well that was a ball ache, but I now have a shiny new Ice Cream Sandwich Touchpad.... and I think I prefer Gingerbread LOL!

Haha, typical! Guess it shows how much its down to personal preference. As for silver light I'm not sure, im yet to find a site that doesn't render properly but I think most sites I use switch to HTML nowadays if flash/silver light isn't present.

Rarely boot back into webos now though, whereas with gingerbread I often found myself doing so.

I have worked with phones for about two years, one of them only iPhones, before that Nokia and SonyEricsson. And not just selling them in a store, I've repaired, runned diagnostics and tested them. I have never used an iPhone myself, and GHod knows I've had the opportunity. Why? Because I simply care more for Android and the fact that you actually can get phones with a bigger screen. I had a real thing with Apple before, but after working with their products for a long time I've found that they're pretty much like anything else, they may be a tad simpler but I don't really care since I've had a mobile phone for like ten years now, I know how to operate that and I know how to operate a computer, an iPhone or any "smartphone" now a days are pretty much the same. If iPhone came out with a phone where I could have a 4" screen, the opportunity to use a memory card and the possibility to alter the OS just a slight more then I'd be very very interested. Have used HTC for the last two years, not had any major problems so far, but would like to test out Samsung, LG and the new Nokias in the future.
But Scara, how you can say that sending a text message with an iPhone is "just simpler" is really beyond me. Maybe it feels simpler because you've gotten used to it, but it really isn't.

Haha, typical! Guess it shows how much its down to personal preference. As for silver light I'm not sure, im yet to find a site that doesn't render properly but I think most sites I use switch to HTML nowadays if flash/silver light isn't present.

Rarely boot back into webos now though, whereas with gingerbread I often found myself doing so.

I was speaking early, I've had a proper play with it and it's pretty slick. Like you say, multi tasking and a decent browser make a difference. And the video playback is much better. Still a good few bits not working.

But Scara, how you can say that sending a text message with an iPhone is "just simpler" is really beyond me. Maybe it feels simpler because you've gotten used to it, but it really isn't.

There's not really anything tangible I can describe that makes it what it is - trust me though, I've used most phones I've tried for at least a week, many a month and my own ones at least a year, so it's not being used to it.

Maybe it's the size or the shape, the keyboard size - certainly the touch screen is amazing and something that's really easy to type with. The autocorrect is probably a good part of it too. I really can't put my finger on exactly what it is, all I know is that I'm far more willing to use an iPhone for most things than I have been any other phone - and this is coming from a techie who upgrades anything purely for the sake of it.

Too many people hung up on specs, im posting in my windows phone 7 omnia 7 which has a 1 gig snapdragon processor but because its coded correctly everything is buttery smooth and loads exactly as you'd expect. No juddering and never had to reset it.

And for whoever posted the android steps try windows phone 7 and the live tiles its by far the quickest way to access stuff on a phone. You can pin any contact, web page link, app or part of an app direct to your home screen. Eg I can pin jubilee line status from my London travel app and click on it to go directly to that line status or I can set it to dynamically update so the tile I pinned for it auto syncs and displays on the tile. Far easier and simpler.

Yep, it's good though I need to buy a faster router I think. Works amazingly well for video. I don't have cable TV here, I stream everything off my Mac mini (plugged into my TV) but now with my Apple TV I can stream things from apps like TED, news channels from Australia and other things. Great for showing things off, like all the photos from my travels.

I just use netflix. Far cheaper, instant streaming and in HD too. If you want TV channels in good quality then simply download sopcast and you can get channels from all over the world for nothing.

No offence fella but what is the point in controlling FIFA on your phone? Its usless and I would know as I was playing FIFA on my cousins IPAD the other day and the screen touchpad and buttons were utter brick compared to a controller. No way would you be able to compete online with someone unless they were missing their arms and playing with their feet.

Back