• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Ipad

I don't have an issue with Apple products. Infact I used to own an iPhone 3G until I made the switch over to Galaxy S2 (which it's unlikely now that I'll switch back). The iPad I personally don't have a use for... Or any other tablet for that matter. I have a PC and I have a more than functional mobile device, therefore I do not have the need for ANOTHER gadget to lug around. But I can see why others would feel they "need" one.
I do however have an issue with Apple fanboys! The almost religeous following for Apple is absolutely ridiculous... And these idiots will not accept any arguments or comparisons to their beloved product. The iPhone is NOT the best phone on the market, certainly hardware wise, and software wise it'd have to be down to personal preferance. I think it's restrictive but each to their own. I'd never rule out going back to Apple if they gave more freedom with their software. I shall see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table, but with the Galaxy Note and S3 likely to sway me I doubt I'll be going back this year atleast

Having owned a Touchpad for half a year now, I can say that I'm over the moon with my decision to get it (and cheap at that :) ). As I'm on the road a fair bit, it is the perfect antidote to the shocking picture quality and channel choice you get in SO many hotels. Even on the continent, you can pay a few quid to a VPN client and carry on streaming your Netflix/Lovefilm/Sky accounts as well as freeview channels and OD channels... perfect.

I don't have an issue with Apple products. Infact I used to own an iPhone 3G until I made the switch over to Galaxy S2 (which it's unlikely now that I'll switch back). The iPad I personally don't have a use for... Or any other tablet for that matter. I have a PC and I have a more than functional mobile device, therefore I do not have the need for ANOTHER gadget to lug around. But I can see why others would feel they "need" one.
I do however have an issue with Apple fanboys! The almost religeous following for Apple is absolutely ridiculous... And these idiots will not accept any arguments or comparisons to their beloved product. The iPhone is NOT the best phone on the market, certainly hardware wise, and software wise it'd have to be down to personal preferance. I think it's restrictive but each to their own. I'd never rule out going back to Apple if they gave more freedom with their software. I shall see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table, but with the Galaxy Note and S3 likely to sway me I doubt I'll be going back this year atleast

Sounds like you are doing exactly the same as the apple fan boys, just with samsung. It seems anyone that buys an apple product is a 'fanboy', however I don't know what my next phone wll be, I'll make my mind up at the time. You seem pretty set on another samsung though, and why wouldn't you if you find them the best for you. It makes sense to stick to what you like. Its no different to apple users though, I'm sure if apple make a bad phone millions will switch.

You categorically state the iPhone is not the best phone around as if there is no argument. However I'm afraid that is just your opinion, a better indication would be the opinion of a wider audience - obviously you wont get a 100% one way or the other, but the iPhone normally comes out on top. I should know, I trial most phones that come into the UK and get to see the results. (I'm talking overall quality and usability, obviously there will be phones that beat the iPhone in one area, ie have a better camera or slightly faster processor).

To the OP, let me get this straight, your girlfriend bought you a product that presumably she knew you'd hate, using your credit card??

Can you not just return the thing? Its not like its a present from her to you, if technically, you're the one that bought it, right?

with regards to the iPad - I also think its a luxury, but for convenience, it bricks all over a traditional PC or laptop. Just depends whether you want to spend ?ú400+ on something that you use for browsing/a few bricky games, and watching youtube/Netflix. This is all imo, of course

To the OP, let me get this straight, your girlfriend bought you a product that presumably she knew you'd hate, using your credit card??

Can you not just return the thing? Its not like its a present from her to you, if technically, you're the one that bought it, right?

with regards to the iPad - I also think its a luxury, but for convenience, it bricks all over a traditional PC or laptop. Just depends whether you want to spend ?ú400+ on something that you use for browsing/a few bricky games, and watching youtube/Netflix. This is all imo, of course

I recently set up one of our directors' laptop to accept RDP connections. He now almost exclusively uses his iPad - the laptop never leaves the desk.

Admittedly most of the stuff he needs to do is based on reading and replying to emails, but with an RDP connection an iPad (or other tablet) becomes quite a useful tool.

OP - Why would your girlfriend use your money to buy you a present she knows you'd absolutely hate? Or even buy 2 for that matter?

Your brand-phobia aside - perhaps the two of you should sit down and have a 1 on 1 :barnet: ;)

The new screen on the iPad is pretty phenomenal and makes me believe that - like Scara says - RD is really the way forward with tablets. I've got splashtop running on my pc, phone and tablet and i have to say the ability to remotely access windows is wonderful. The only shortfall with it at the moment is the fact i'm used to a 1900x1200 resolution on my windows machine and accessing it through the tablet i can only get the 1024x768 which is a tad bricky. If the new iPad allows you to access your desktop at full resolution then that's pretty appealing to me.

As we get better connections i really don't think more powerful hardware than what we have will be important in tablets - fast, stable remote connections allowing a powerful pc to be displayed on a top quality tablet screen just seems the sensible way forward to me.

I don't think its enough to make me switch to apple as i really don't like the closed ecosystem but for the first time in years i can see an advantage to an iPad. Other than that remote access my tablet is largely just used for sofa surfing and games/watching films+tv on the train and suffices more than adequately. I'll use a laptop for serious work but as an entertainment device tablets are pretty good.

Having owned a Touchpad for half a year now, I can say that I'm over the moon with my decision to get it (and cheap at that :) ). As I'm on the road a fair bit, it is the perfect antidote to the shocking picture quality and channel choice you get in SO many hotels. Even on the continent, you can pay a few quid to a VPN client and carry on streaming your Netflix/Lovefilm/Sky accounts as well as freeview channels and OD channels... perfect.

Have you put CM9 on your touchpad yet mate? I have to say i'm surprised by how stable it is, though at the same time disappointed with the lack of development since the last alpha. Wonderful OS though, it's got the best part of WebOS (multitasking) and the best parts of androids flexibility and ecosystem, a massive improvement on the last version.

I use a Blackberry Bold 9700 and a Playbook which I use for meetings etc. I am a local politician and both the councils I represent have a Blackberry server so an i-Phone/i-pad is not an option. I really like both but I agree that it is the apps that let Blackberry down. Although I am not at all interested in apps for my phone, the Playbook could do with a few quality additions. I still cannot watch films on it and it does not support silverlight so no Sky Go. Frustrating. As a business tool it is fantastic though.

Sounds like you are doing exactly the same as the apple fan boys, just with samsung. It seems anyone that buys an apple product is a 'fanboy', however I don't know what my next phone wll be, I'll make my mind up at the time. You seem pretty set on another samsung though, and why wouldn't you if you find them the best for you. It makes sense to stick to what you like. Its no different to apple users though, I'm sure if apple make a bad phone millions will switch.

You categorically state the iPhone is not the best phone around as if there is no argument. However I'm afraid that is just your opinion, a better indication would be the opinion of a wider audience - obviously you wont get a 100% one way or the other, but the iPhone normally comes out on top. I should know, I trial most phones that come into the UK and get to see the results. (I'm talking overall quality and usability, obviously there will be phones that beat the iPhone in one area, ie have a better camera or slightly faster processor).

Mate there's a huge difference between a fanboy and someone who simply likes a particular product. As I said before I don't dislike Apple products as I previously owned an iPhone and absolutely loved it. I was very close to upgrading to the iPhone 4 when a close friend advised me to get the Galaxy S2 as he'd just swapped his 3GS for one. I took his advise and was glad I did because I got a whole new phone experience rather than just a slightly faster one with better camera but still the same apps/games/software/etc.
I'm not a Samsung fanboy by a long stretch. I simply like their current line of phones and whats rumoured for their future devices, but as I said if the iPhone is more appealing to me by the time I'm due an upgrade then I can quite easily go back... But for now I'm happy with Android and Samsung.

A fanboy however will not accept anything other than the product they so vigerously follow, and not content with just owning one, but they must try as hard as they possibly can to convert you to that product too (which is where the similarities with fanboys and religion comes in :lol: ) They will argue till blue in the face that their phone's better than yours without even listening to the other argument. If anything Apple fanboys do nothing but put me off their product as all I feel like I want to distance myself from them. As for Apple tho... They are extremely clever marketers thats for sure. Alot of the stuff they boasted as "NEW" had already been done in the past, such as Face Time (video calling), Multi Tasking, etc. They certainly put a spell on their consumer, enough for them to queue up for 30+ hours for the latest iPad!?!?!!! :-k

I have an iPad, a macbook pro and an iPhone 4...I have used apple products for many years, but I won't buy every single new product they release i.e. iPhone 4s didn't have enough in it for me to force a refresh, love the screen on the new iPad but will wait to see what a future iPad release brings...

I will soon be getting a macbook air, 11" model, 4gb RAM and 256gb HD...it's portability is fantastic. As someone mentioned, the iPad is still largely (for me) something you bring on holiday/heading around town or wherever, for movies/e-mail/reading if you want to and so on. It's personal interface with you is NOT one of work. The moment you flip a laptop open, you know work is around the corner (in my case anyhow) so each device has different functions and purposes...

With regards to the apple symmetry, it is the seamless interface between all devices which sucks you in, though I do profess to feeling a little uncomfortable with their 'whiter than white ??ber-c?Âol' take over of our lives...almost creepy...like Hal in "2001: A Space Odyssey"...

I don't see the problem. It's not like she bought some cheap android alternative.

Cheap in what sense? In the sense that Google have given the developers of android unrestricted freedom while Apple still try and restrict and corner the market?

It annoys me when I hear people with minimal techie knowledge come to their conclusion based on price.

These Apple fans (and I mean these people who queue to get the new product) need a fudging life in my opinion. Since the first generation the Ipad has been nothing but a larger I-Touch. Now all it has got is a new screen and people are killing themselves to get one.

Would most people go out and buy a new TV after a year of having a perfectly good one at home because someone like Sony brought out a better resolution screen? Most wouldn't yet people kid themselves into thinking they need a new Apple product. Hats of to their marketing. No wonder they have so much money in cash.

Yeah pretty much. I use it more than my phone and laptop. I spent ?ú1700 on a sony viao and ?ú400 on an iPad. I use the iPad twice as much as it's easier to sit down with this rather than a bulky product on my lap. The thing I like the most is it switches on in a second, I hate waiting for my laptop to boot up just to check BBC news or twitter etc.

I have no idea why I bought it and I certainly didn't need it, but I use it loads. The only problem is it takes me 3 hours to get to sleep as I read pointless stuff on it in bed.

Everything you just said could be achieved with a ?ú150 notepad put on sleep mode for instant access when required...

Again you are belittling other products to favor your favoritism for Apple. A view I find common amongst devoted hardcore Apple fans.

I really do think I should fight a few people on here - all at the same time - i am happy for this. A royal rumble of some sort but the only ones turning into apples are you jokers

I don't want to fight you buddy, you're a legend in my eyes.

Back