• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New Captain Poll

Who gets the armband?

• Dier

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Skipp

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Bentancur

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Son

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • Davies

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (existing player)

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other (new signing)

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Bissouma

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters
Hmm. Is it just me who found that just a bit less than inspiring?
Maybe it was all a bit pre-prepared so wasn't quite natural but it was definitely lacking in enthusiasm.

And they need to get Ange a new shirt in a size up.

I liked what he said though, he is a serious bloke Ange. I agree it was not all blood thunder and up and at ya, but I just think that kinda stuff is all for show its what people say thats important.

The whole changing room is yours and you have to drive the culture there was interesting, basically giving the players respect but also meaning he wants it back when it comes to time on the training pitch and match days. Will be interesting to see how that plays out, probably a few players that need to be sold on till the old cultures are totally killed off.

Sonny as captain is a good shout, he knows the club, he wants to win, he is passionate about the club and loves it like a fan, thats important because he might not be an old school Roy Keane type (no one is these days) but he can sell the club to his team mates and get over how important it is to play for Spurs, the blokes given a huge part of his life to the club.

I don't understand the apparent "making your best player captain type reward". Me personally, Son is not near top of my perceived ideal captain. Being the best builder doesn't make you the best foreman. Roy Keane and arguably Patrick Vieira were not even top 3 players in their respective teams, but may be the best captains I've seen on a semi-regular basis based on presence, motivation and order in the ranks both on and off the pitch, respect/fear with the refs etc. Sonny seems like the kind of guy who's sent to bed without supper.

If it's true that the FA will stamp down on teams harassing refs (will not apply to Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool of course), the role of the captain will be more important than ever. Hopefully Son proves me wrong.

As I've said earlier, I think Lloris' biggest weakness as a captain was controlling the dressing room. Everything is easy when you're on the up and things are buzzing, but ever since his incident, the team slowly but steadily lost cohesion, apparently. Why should you take orders about morale and ethics from a drunk driver? Yeah yeah I know, but that's how the world works. And I've also mentioned earlier that I suspect that Kane was a bigger factor in the poisonous dressing room environment that cost 4 managers their job in as many years, than we're led to believe. May be nothing, but it's a hunch. How the feckety feck can you lose all sense of togetherness and team morale before the final in the greatest European cup run in the club's entire history? Because that's the way it looked. I would not be surprised if stories surface in the future, especially if we're getting out of the sort of limbo we're in right now.

Last edited:
Sonny's first thing as captain is to do the huddle in front of the travelling Spurs fans. Small, but noticeable gesture.

Back