• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

He will become just as important to us as Modric was imo

The Italian newspaper Gazetta Dello Sport published a list of the top 20 young prospects in world football. Bentaleb was on the list.

I think we as Spurs fans have a tendency developed over recent years of rubbishing our youth players, craving big signings. Kane was rubbished as most as being not good enough. I saw plenty of "off to the championship where he belongs", "barely league one standard" posts about Kane.

The neutrals, even around the world, are starting to take notice of what we're doing at spurs in terms of youth development and academy and the players that are coming through.

To put it into context, Bentaleb is only 20 years old and he is a starter for one of the 20 biggest (richest) clubs in the world (which is what we are according to Deloitte), who are in the top 6 of one of the most competitive leagues in the world and he is a regular starter for his country and has already played as a starter in a world cup and African nations cup. Players that are 20 years old and accomplish the things he has done and play to the level he has done regularly are the likes of Steven Gerrard, Luka Modric, that level of player. He is going to be world class, he almost is already and everyone else can see it.

It took Modric a while before he became our most important player and he was how old? Bentaleb is just 20 years old and already ooze's class. Modric did not become truly world class until his second season at Madrid.

I think you're forgetting just how bloody brilliant Modric was for us. He took a couple of months to get going but you could tell from early on that he was a special special talent - the best midfielder we've had since Gascogine IMO. Bentaleb is younger than Modric was at the time he joined Spurs, true, and I do think he's a very promising young player. But let's not make stupid comparisons. This was Modric in his first season in England:

The player I think Bentaleb is more like is Carrick. Who had broken into the West Ham team and was getting praised at Bentaleb's age, but wasn't as good then IMO. Remember, he spent a season playing lower league football when he was two years older than Bentlaeb is now. If he can become as good as Carrick eventually became then I'm more than happy with that. I don't see anyone in our squad with the potential to be as good as Modric, and I include Eriksen in that who I really rate.

Still makes me laugh now when looking back at peoples' posts on how Modric wasn't that important for us because of his number of assists and goals, if he's stayed another 3 or 4 years people would've gone onto compare him with the likes of Blanchflour, if thy hadn't already.

Bentaleb reminds of me of NO ONE and that's why I like him, it's so easy to get drawn into the comparison game as a result of inarticulation or backing of an argument. Nabil has his own unique game and I have to say that the more I watch him, like I did on MOTD last night, the more I like him, fantastic energy, good passing, great attitude and unafraid of getting stuck in.

I don't see anyone in our squad with the potential to be as good as Modric, and I include Eriksen in that who I really rate.

As an attacking player, Eriksen is already a lot better than Modric imo. But they play different positions so that's to be expected. I agree with the Carrick/Bentaleb comparison. I'd also say that Mason/Modric is the more direct comparison for their roles in the team. Mason is a better tackler and more combative than Modric, but Modric is way superior technically.

I wouldn't describe Masons game as similar to Modrics personally - in fact i don't think we have anyone that plays a deep play making role in the team atm, that's not really how we play - Carroll is the most likely to be that player but it's unlikely he'll be involved next year (though i hope he is)

Id describe what we currently have in the middle, using old players, is a Jenas/Zokora partnership but with our current two much better at their game than those two and the partnership much more suited to the team around them.

Am open to being shot down with that last point :D

It's always funny how the passage of time warps people's memories.

Modric might have evolved into one of the best deep lying playmakers in football during his time at Spurs - but his first 18 months were at best mediocre, and mostly frustrating, when he flitted between the roles of winger, no.10 and pivot, with nice touches but without ever being convincing or consistent. The way Dembele has played this season would be a good comparison.

This is why Bentaleb's progress is so astonishing. Central midfield in the PL is one of the toughest assignments to get to grips with in football, as opponents' styles, shapes, tactics, abilities and physiques vary so hugely week on week. Some weeks he'll be hounded into the ground, other weeks they'll just kick it over his head 9/10 times, other weeks he'll spend most of his time helping out a FB against a tricksy winger, other weeks will be a "who can touch it the most without doing anything" roosterfest.

The remarkable thing about Nabil is that he's seemingly quite happy in any of these environments, and has gotten here in around 30 matches.

He's gonna be a legend. I hope it's with Spurs.

I think we as Spurs fans have a tendency developed over recent years of rubbishing our youth players, craving big signings.
It's not about craving big signings, it's about being realistic.

Even in the world's best academies (and I don't think we're nearly there yet), the odds are overwhelmingly against producing more than one or two good players from any large group. To produce even one top level player is incredibly unlikely.

I'd say the problem with Spurs fans is the opposite - there are a lot of fans who confuse their emotive desire for a home-grown player to come good with actual ability.

Modric might have evolved into one of the best deep lying playmakers in football during his time at Spurs - but his first 18 months were at best mediocre, and mostly frustrating, when he flitted between the roles of winger, no.10 and pivot, with nice touches but without ever being convincing or consistent. The way Dembele has played this season would be a good comparison.

This is why Bentaleb's progress is so astonishing. Central midfield in the PL is one of the toughest assignments to get to grips with in football, as opponents' styles, shapes, tactics, abilities and physiques vary so hugely week on week. Some weeks he'll be hounded into the ground, other weeks they'll just kick it over his head 9/10 times, other weeks he'll spend most of his time helping out a FB against a tricksy winger, other weeks will be a "who can touch it the most without doing anything" roosterfest.

The remarkable thing about Nabil is that he's seemingly quite happy in any of these environments, and has gotten here in around 30 matches.

He's gonna be a legend. I hope it's with Spurs.

Id say the only warped memory on display is yours ;) Modric had a good first season, didn't dominate straight away as he wasn't trusted in the middle early on but once he was moved there he was regularly putting in good performances. I remember him playing CM away to Bolton in what would have been one of his first games in that position and he shined - making a mockery of all those 'experts' (on here and in the media) saying he wasnt capable of coping with the physicality if the league.

Last edited:
I wouldn't describe Masons game as similar to Modrics personally - in fact i don't think we have anyone that plays a deep play making role in the team atm, that's not really how we play - Carroll is the most likely to be that player but it's unlikely he'll be involved next year (though i hope he is)

Id describe what we currently have in the middle, using old players, is a Jenas/Zokora partnership but with our current two much better at their game than those two and the partnership much more suited to the team around them.

Am open to being shot down with that last point :D

You b*stard, I had managed to erase the memory of Jenas n Zokora from my mind, until now! :)

Love the boy. I don't often place much stock in what Sherwood says but one thing that did ring true were his observations about Bentaleb: "he'd cry even when he'd lose a 5 a side game."

Dembele this season has been nowhere near as good as Modric was in his first season. Not even close. Modric scored as many goals in his first season as Dembele has managed in nearly three at Spurs, let's not forget that Modric could also...you know...pass the ball.

Suiyha, it's a highlights reel, and from the 40 odd games he played that season it produced 9 mins of nice touches and 1 minute of productive outputs.

But most importantly it doesn't show the thousands of minutes where he was a peripheral figure.

Again don't take this as slagging off Modric, he turned into an absolute gem. But his first season was thoroughly unremarkable.

Show Lamela that modric video. He has the touch in tight areas and ability - but modric saw the big picture, didn't needlessly hold onto the ball etc.

Lamela can do that

Frankthetank - I agree partly

In his first season you could see the ability, the question was how he would adapt and develop to the PL.

Back on Bebtaleb, makes it even more remarkable how he has slotted in so smoothly, we have to remember he hasn't been around the youth team for years, he was in France 1.5 years ago.

He will become just as important to us as Modric was imo

I hope you are right but he has a long way go at the moment and some are getting carried away.

As for those who said that Modric took a while to show how good he was, well " rent a quote " playing him on the wing did not help, he was wasted there.

I hope you are right but he has a long way go at the moment and some are getting carried away.

As for those who said that Modric took a while to show how good he was, well " rent a quote " playing him on the wing did not help, he was wasted there.
I agree. Modric is and was a phenomenal player. One of my favourites to watch. They're completely different players, but Bentaleb just astounds me with the maturity with which he plays the game. Incredible

Bentaleb's strength is that, like Modric, he is always available to receive the ball and he recycles it well. IMO he is not a game changer, also a bit like Modric as he doesn't deliver so many assists or goals, in fact Modric was better at this. However, they both gave/give us controlled possession. I think he can improve still: he can cut out some poor decision making e.g. Silly fouls against Swansea which led to the free kick and their goal and the raising of his arms yesterday; he should be looking to be a bit more progressive with his passing and movement into the box, as a Youth player he had a knack of arriving and finishing. He just needs to be aware of where Mason is and come to an understanding that one goes and the other stays; I would also like to see him switch the ball earlier. Our wide players get pelters but often the ball doesn't get to them so they can move forward with momentum.

Modric was class for us and is now arguably the biggest piece of the Mardid jigsaw that's missing due to his injury. He is a metronome player that keeps the ball moving and moving positively - hence the co oration with amazon who does a similar role in a different way

Bentelab I'd agree is more like Carrick but with a better tackle ( Carrick is a tackle blocker IMO)

We play a very different system now though to the one they played in hence the commotions being flawed but complimentary at the same time. Both Carrick and Modric are class and our current middle yow have a resemblance of those players without being the same

I love seeing Maselab as it's a young dynamic pairing that fights for the cause whilst having great technical ability. It's no coincidence that the outrun under Poch came when these guys came in.

Let's be thankful for what we have and help them develop with Praise and Encouragement

Back