• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

So he did a load of stuff that others were already doing very well and organised some loans.

I should hope so. That would be a minimum requirement of a loans to Swindon manager.

He was at the club whilst some very good players came through. So was Doris the Tea Lady (or was she part of the Arnesen cull? I can never remember)

The loan system has been around for as long as professional contracts. Doesn't surprise me one bit that Dimmeh has tried to claim responsibility for it though.

Did Kane go on loan to swindon? Did Bentelab? did Tom Carroll? did Danny Rose?

Mason did, and played really well from what I saw as did Pritchard.

He did loads of things really well... It was his job and it's no coincidence that people at the club, including the players recognise it. He didn't manage the first team job as well as he could have I'll agree but the work he did in his various behind the scenes roles was very good

I dunno about the loans and all that, but Sherwood did bring Bentaleb straight into the fold for the first team. AVB didn't even give him any Europa time. For that, Shewrod deserves credit -- he was also ahead of the curve for picking Bentaleb ahead of Capoue, and seeing that Capoue was a useless tw*t before most others spotted it.

Kane MOTM but Nabil just behind him. His placement was perfect, always out there nagging Fabregas and Oscar, very very good stuff.

At least one of them is yeah. I remember him saying when he watched football as a kid he would cry if Algeria lost but he didn't really care for France.

Both are.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/18/algeria-nabil-bentaleb-tottenham-spurs

"Bentaleb followed his heart when he declared for Algeria this year rather than France – the country of his birth and the one he represented at under-19 level. His parents were born in Algeria.

“When people ask me why I chose Algeria over France I say that when I was younger and France lost I was not crying in front of my TV whereas when Algeria lost, I was crying and getting angry,” "

Not entirely sure. Don't think it has been announced.

Algeria play their first game on the 19th of January. Has been said that he misses the two games against Sheffield United (21st and 28th of January). We play Sunderland on the 17th, seems guaranteed that he misses that one too. Crystal Palace on the 10th seems a likely candidate for his last game before leaving.

Last group stage game for Algeria on the 27th of January. Quarter finals are played on the 31st of January/1st of February. Semi finals on the 4th and 5th, third place final on the 7th, final on the 8th.

Seems unlikely that they will get knocked out at the group stage, but if so he might be back for the game against WBA on the 31st of January at the earliest. Not super likely though, at least not as a starter.

We play Arsenal at home on the 7th of February and Liverpool away on the 10th. Both seem possible if they get knocked out in the quarter finals. But if they get to the semi final he's done no earlier than the 7th (because of the bronze final) and will most likely miss both those. A sub appearance away to Liverpool is plausible I suppose, but not likely.

So most likely at least 4, possibly as many as 6 games. With one additional game if we go through to the 4th round of the FA-cup. (played in between the Sheffield games, weekend at the 24th of January).

Thanks.

With Mason picking up a niggle I guess the Euro CM pairing of Dembele/Stambouli might be back on the cards. Actually they had one excellent outing as a pair if I recall (can't remember the opposition) albeit against lesser quality opposition. With Capoue and Paulinho also in the squad I wonder will Levy think we've enough cover for Jan/early Feb. There is no combination really as dynamic as the other pair though.

Did Kane go on loan to swindon? Did Bentelab? did Tom Carroll? did Danny Rose?

That tells you just how much cheek Dimmeh has in claiming a role in their development then doesn't it?

Mason did, and played really well from what I saw as did Pritchard.

He did loads of things really well... It was his job and it's no coincidence that people at the club, including the players recognise it. He didn't manage the first team job as well as he could have I'll agree but the work he did in his various behind the scenes roles was very good

If he was that good why were the club so willing to let him leave via the caretaker route?

That tells you just how much cheek Dimmeh has in claiming a role in their development then doesn't it?

If he was that good why were the club so willing to let him leave via the caretaker route?

Because he made it clear that he wants to be a manager now. We didn't deem him a success in the role so got rid

He made it clear he wasn't taking the youth directors role again and was quite public about that IIRC

Because he made it clear that he wants to be a manager now. We didn't deem him a success in the role so got rid

He made it clear he wasn't taking the youth directors role again and was quite public about that IIRC
No, before that.

When we allowed him to take the caretaker role, everyone knew it would end with him leaving in the summer, if not before.

If we really rated his input into the youth setup we wouldn't have allowed him to embarrass himself and the club as manager in the first place.

Sherwood Sherwood Sherwood....

Let me ask this. To those arguing that Sherwood's role has been a major one. Are you worried that losing him will impede our now seemingly very well functioning academy?

I'm not. I see him more as a cog in the machine that can be replaced without too much trouble. Not some unique part that is now forever lost. I realize this exaggerates the point, and I realize I might very well be wrong. But for now at least I'm not worried one bit.

He's replaceable for sure but players like Mason, Kane and Bentaleb DO thank him for his nurturing whether we like him or not.

No cheek at all.

Despite your repetition of this facile point, I think we all know that you have enough intelligence to ultimately admit that Sherwood had a significant and positive part to play in developing a number of our younger players - including those who haven't been to Swindon. Though I totally understand if your arrogant internet persona means you may never wish to actually write that on this message board. ;)

It could be, of course, that there's a slim chance that you know better than the players themselves who have thanked and praised Sherwood for the help and support he's given them. But we only have to acknowledge that slim chance to give lip service to it, rather than believing it to possibly be true.

Ultimately, he was pretty good at that part of his old job. Wanted to do more, wasn't good enough at that and wasn't asked to/didn't want to return to his former, smaller job. And there are others we have who can continue and build on the good work with youth players.

He's replaceable for sure but players like Mason, Kane and Bentaleb DO thank him for his nurturing whether we like him or not.

Sure. And I do think he's done a good job, worthy of gratitude.

Just that compared to those who have been in charge of establishing the youth setup we currently have it seems that Sherwood gets chucked in there with much more deserving recipients of praise.

No cheek at all.

Despite your repetition of this facile point, I think we all know that you have enough intelligence to ultimately admit that Sherwood had a significant and positive part to play in developing a number of our younger players - including those who haven't been to Swindon. Though I totally understand if your arrogant internet persona means you may never wish to actually write that on this message board. ;)

It could be, of course, that there's a slim chance that you know better than the players themselves who have thanked and praised Sherwood for the help and support he's given them. But we only have to acknowledge that slim chance to give lip service to it, rather than believing it to possibly be true.

Ultimately, he was pretty good at that part of his old job. Wanted to do more, wasn't good enough at that and wasn't asked to/didn't want to return to his former, smaller job. And there are others we have who can continue and build on the good work with youth players.
As braineclipse said a couple of posts ago - I don't fear that our youth setup is now lacking and I don't think many other Spurs fans do either.

He will be mentioned by youth players - he was there when they were coming through. That doesn't make him instrumental or even relevant to their development, it just means he was there.

As braineclipse said a couple of posts ago - I don't fear that our youth setup is now lacking and I don't think many other Spurs fans do either.

He will be mentioned by youth players - he was there when they were coming through. That doesn't make him instrumental or even relevant to their development, it just means he was there.

So was Dorris the tea lady...

He had a significant input in their view in their careers... The same way thag Bale has recently credited Avb with changing his game

There are plenty do other coaches and managers that have influenced their careers but there complimenting the ones that have given them the push to where they are at now.

For some of those players sherwood to date may have had the most important influence on their careers (to date). For other players he didn't help their careers in sure

He made it quite clear when he was manager that he had no intention of going back to his old job. He wasn't apponted at an interim. It was a permanent role that was cut short.why would you take a step back in your career after showing (points wise) your a better manager than some out there

So was Dorris the tea lady...

Precisely.

Doris wasn't undermining managers though, so she probably did more net good.

He had a significant input in their view in their careers... The same way thag Bale has recently credited Avb with changing his game

There are plenty do other coaches and managers that have influenced their careers but there complimenting the ones that have given them the push to where they are at now.

For some of those players sherwood to date may have had the most important influence on their careers (to date). For other players he didn't help their careers in sure

He spent most of his time (when not scheming the downfall of our managers) managing the youth set up. We already had excellent coaches improving those players and I'm pretty sure they were teaching more than how to stand 30yds behind Alan Shearer.

He made it quite clear when he was manager that he had no intention of going back to his old job. He wasn't apponted at an interim. It was a permanent role that was cut short.why would you take a step back in your career after showing (points wise) your a better manager than some out there

Which is why if we valued his input to the youth team setup, we'd never have allowed him to take the manager's job in the first place. It was clearly going to be short term and he was clearly going to be leaving the club soon if he took that step.

What was the alternative then?

It's not uncommon to promote from within short term in football
The alternative was to keep him sorting out the loans to Swindon. To tell him that there's no return from a failed attempt at manager (as even Dimmeh seemed to understand) and that we valued him too highly to lose him like that.

Sherwood Sherwood Sherwood....

Let me ask this. To those arguing that Sherwood's role has been a major one. Are you worried that losing him will impede our now seemingly very well functioning academy?

I'm not. I see him more as a cog in the machine that can be replaced without too much trouble. Not some unique part that is now forever lost. I realize this exaggerates the point, and I realize I might very well be wrong. But for now at least I'm not worried one bit.
I agree. I wish that our senior set up was as well run as the junior where key members of the set up leave and are replaced seamlessly. Inglethorpe's departure did not really have an impact either. I just think that it is a mistake to give Sherwood no credit whatsoever.

Sherwood deserves credit. If Hoddle had have taken over in that period Bentaleb would be on loan now. I'm 100% sure of that.

No, Kane and Bentaleb are hits because they're very good footballers.

Dimmeh just happened to be the loans to Swindon manager when our youth setup brought them through.

Oh come on, I'm no fan of Sherwood the bloke or coach, but he is the one who introduced these lads to regular PL football when many others would not have. They had the grounding last season which has helped them greatly this season.

Back