• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

His inclusion against QPR led to my disapproval, at that time I didn't realise quite what a midfielder we had in our team. I thought that he'd be decent last season but I was too in support of Holtby, to notice what we had, and was disappointed that Holtby had been benched. Now though, I realise only too well what we're missing. Bentaleb is developing in to quite some player. His quick passes, interceptions and overall play have improved dramatically this season and I'm in two minds as to whether to support Bentaleb & Algeria, or to want the team to crash out early doors, just so that Bentaleb can return to us as quickly as possible.

You should look at the big picture and imagine what it would do to his confidence if at the young age of 20 he proved integral to Algeria being crowned Champions of Africa. It would be amazing

You should look at the big picture and imagine what it would do to his confidence if at the young age of 20 he proved integral to Algeria being crowned Champions of Africa. It would be amazing

Agreed. The more trophy winners we have in the squad the more likely that winning mentality will once again permeate our club and Spurs might start picking up major silverware again like the glory days of the 1980s / 1960s [-o<

Exactly, I'd much rather he returned two weeks later as a winner, than two weeks earlier as an also-ran. It's the kind of thing that could lift his performances for the entire rest of the season.

In the position he plays for us I don't think winner mentality can be anything but good. Where Man U have been without Keane or Liverpool without Souness?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

In the position he plays for us I don't think winner mentality can be anything but good. Where Man U have been without Keane or Liverpool without Souness?

Sent from my Magellanic flightless steamer duck using Rufous gnateater

Or Spurs without (World Cup winner) Ardilles at the heart of our team.

I think Bentaleb already has good inner drive and winning mentality, though obviously winning the ACON would not harm things at all. You can already see him pointing and shouting at his team mates (some more experienced). Sometimes this can be construed as being a mouthy little git, but when you can back it up with performances then it carries that much more weight. I think he's the made of the right stuff and will be a future captain of Spurs, or I'm a monkey's uncle.

Very true, did Ossie play that position though? I would have thought he was a little further forward. Never really seen much of him in action.

I'm a bit too young to really remember Ossie' playing days but from what I've heard from older fans he was similar to Modric but with superior dribbling and finishing ability.

Here's what the great man himself has to say of his role in the team:

Classic Players - Ardiles, the man who made it look easy - FIFA.com
Though not the most arresting player physically, being slim and just 1.69m, he more than made up for it with his astute play in the centre or right side of midfield, where he proved himself as adept at breaking up play as he was in instigating it.

“My position was a little hard to define: half of my job was to create, the other half to defend. I wasn’t a wide-man like the type you see today, but rather a pure midfielder who you rarely saw in either area. My task was to free up the playmaker to give him the time and space to create,” he tells FIFA.com in an exclusive interview.

Nabil is regularly racking up around 60 passes per game, just like Luka, so if he can combine that ability to dictate the midfield tempo along with the leadership qualities, that Rorschach mentions, then we've got one heck of a prospect on our hands.

What cups did Ireland and Scotland win? I agree that it's good to have proven winners in the squad, but obviously winning isn't the only way to attain that mentality. It's a bit chicken-and-egg.

What cups did Ireland and Scotland win? I agree that it's good to have proven winners in the squad, but obviously winning isn't the only way to attain that mentality. It's a bit chicken-and-egg.

I don't really see your point. Winning mentality alone isn't going to win much but these players had other attributes. Keane knew that, that's why he left Forrest. Some are born with it some attain it, I think Bentaleb, like the ones I've mentioned was born with it. Winning young will only wet his appetite.
If I was a bitter nationalist scot I could point out that Scotland beat the mighty England plenty of times even when full of overhyped superstars to win the home nations tournament. But I'm not [emoji3]. I've not quoted any English players because I can't think of any in that position with the same attributes. Even if I could as I in in my late forties NONE of them would have won any more than a scot, Irishman or Welshman at international level.

Back