• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

We are going to need Sissoko in the run-in - whether you like him or not. He does bring strength and pace that could be crucial in some of our upcoming games, especially with some of the injuries we are getting now.

Let's get behind ALL the squad for now and hope for the best.

We will have the summer to cuss the likes of Sissoko if need be - and Poch; whether you like it or not Sissoko was HIS buy

COYS
So all we need to do is work out how to exploit that strength and pace without him ever having to control a moving football?

Not really - Sissoko has always been crap, I was horrified we might buy him. Not my kind of player at all. A bull in a China shop.
Well truth be told I was horrified with this transfer too. I never rated him and thought he was selfish (played for himself) and lazy. But after we bought him I decided to give him a clean slate and judge him only on his efforts in a Spurs shirt. He has not been great for the most part but has had a few decent outings to be fair to him. One thing that has pleasantly surprised me is his willingness to work back, a trait noticeably absent from his time at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. One thing that has shocked me is his shooting technique which can be described in one word - panic.

On my general point that all transfers are a gamble I would have to disagree with you. You can never tell with any certainty if a player will perform or not at a new club before you buy them. Generally the higher the price tag the more likely you'll buy success but as Utd's splurge over recent years will tell you that is not always a good indicator either. But sometimes it goes the other way. A player may blossom at a new club under a new manager. Unfortunately Sissoko's spurs career has pretty much progressed as most predicted it would. We shouldn't really get any satisfaction out of this though.

I can see him being moved on in the summer, but at least he'll have a premier league winner's medal to remind him of his time at Spurs.

Of course Poch knew the price before Sissoko was purchased and sanctioned the deal anyway. He may not have known the minutia of the deal or been involved in the negotiations but to think he didn't know the bottom line is not really believable. What that bottom line is seems a matter for debate, but whatever the price Poch must shoulder some of the blame. He pulled the trigger on this.
In saying that, you win some and you loose some. Transfers are a gamble no matter what. And who knows, he might improve or score a late winner to win the league. Football is funny like that.

I've not said Poch wouldn't know the price, I've said he wouldn't be involved in setting that price or be concerned with the process as well as not being bothered how they arrive at that. He and the committee have a list, the targets agreed and it is then left to Levy. His blame for me will be having Sissoko on any list of his although I kinda understand why based on his attributes and giving Levy a yes on whether to go ahead on the deal. The price is down to Levy as he is the main negotiator and he will be the person involved in that process once the target is identified.

Poch most definitely isn't one to just get a player in to add bodies. He'd rather blood a youngster than do that....

Ordinarily I agree, hence why I think it was a mutual decision with the chairman to say although the conditions are not ideal or in our favour, we do need someone in and Sissoko was someone who was on the list so despite the drama around the price that is why the trigger was pulled. You have to also look at where he plays and look at what youngster you blood? You don't blood a youngster that isn't ready or good enough and what youngster has the positive attributes of Sissoko? None I would say because they involve maturity (physically) and physical power, attributes that youngsters don't have in abundance.

I'm upset that we even gave him a try. Moussa sissoko should be a west ham player for the money and his ability

Had he gone to West Ham he probably would have done quite well. Good counter attacking player for a team like West Ham. Probably would have been posters on here lamenting that we didn't sign him based on a handful of good performances in high profile games for West Ham.

I've not said Poch wouldn't know the price, I've said he wouldn't be involved in setting that price or be concerned with the process as well as not being bothered how they arrive at that. He and the committee have a list, the targets agreed and it is then left to Levy. His blame for me will be having Sissoko on any list of his although I kinda understand why based on his attributes and giving Levy a yes on whether to go ahead on the deal. The price is down to Levy as he is the main negotiator and he will be the person involved in that process once the target is identified.

I find it strange that Pochettino and the committee wouldn't be involved in at least setting a price range they think is reasonable for a player.

Is it any co-incidence that all our scouting staff involved in this debacle (Paul Mitchell, Rob Mackenzie), and to some extent Janssen and GKN (though I still have patience/hope for them), have now left the building?

Sure but it is Poch that is rubber stamping the deal, so he is effectively sanctioning the purchase at the stated price. It is not as if he has nothing to do with the price as you have stated. He knows it and has agreed to go ahead on that basis.

Anyway we diving into semantics here rather than the thrust of the argument which is Sissoko is one of Poch's purchases. Irrespective of the price he is Poch's choice and I think we sort of agree on that.

Last edited:
Is it any co-incidence that all our scouting staff involved in this debacle (Paul Mitchell, Rob Mackenzie), and to some extent Janssen and GKN (though I still have patience/hope for them), have now left the building?

They were involved in a hell of a lot of good signings too.

They were involved in a hell of a lot of good signings too.

Alder and Wanyama? 2 Southampton players. In 3 seasons. Dier and Alli were seemingly long-term Pleat-led projects.

Even John McDermott has said how he constantly feels under pressure because of Poch's standards, so it's quite feasible this ruthlessness has been applied to the scouting department

Get Monchi in from seville could save us a fair Bob in the transfer market while we are paying off our debts for the stadium.

Just to clarify i'm saying i think many are giving Sissoko 'extra' vitriol because of the price-tag, not that i think that they should be.

Look if he has been 22 years old I would be more forgiving but he is 27 and should be close to his footballing prime but he is giving us nothing.

At the very least I would have expected Sissoko to be an upgrade on Townsend but I just do not see it, and that in itself says a lot

Had he gone to West Ham he probably would have done quite well. Good counter attacking player for a team like West Ham. Probably would have been posters on here lamenting that we didn't sign him based on a handful of good performances in high profile games for West Ham.

I find it strange that Pochettino and the committee wouldn't be involved in at least setting a price range they think is reasonable for a player.

Do you? Something to take up with Levy then. Not entirely sure why Pochettino would be involved in that aspect of the finances but then not in any other part of the financial discussion. The committee discuss the targets and the order of preference to purchase, they have nothing to do with the wages, fee or any other area. That is how Levy works.

Sure but it is Poch that is rubber stamping the deal, so he is effectively sanctioning the purchase at the stated price. It is not as if he has nothing to do with the price as you have stated. He knows it and has agreed to go ahead on that basis.

Anyway we diving into semantics here rather than trust of the argument which is Sissoko is one of Poch's purchases. Irrespective of the price he is Poch's choice and I think we sort of agree on that.

We do agree but I think what I am saying is that the price isn't any of consideration for Pochettino to rubber stamp or not, it isn't within his remit. He is simply told that they can or cannot purchase the said player because of finances.
He does certainly have to take responsibility for being on Pochettinos list, however far down. Misplaced faith possibly? Just a real shame that we couldn't swing the deal v Liverpool for Wijanldum instead.

Back