• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

That's the issue.

Football caps off its own advancement by limiting itself to those who have played to reasonably high levels. Mourinho and Wenger probably stand out from that group, but as a whole, football turns away the best and brightest from the start.
Or is it that the experience of playing the game at a high level and being part of a winning dressing room is good experience that helps somebody when moving into coaching or management? Take Pochettino as an example here. It seems that even the players that he doesn't play and are turfed out still do not seem to have a bad word to say about him. Is that because as a former player he understands first hand how players (the primadonnas that they often are) like to be treated?

I would actually love to have a detailed discussion with Pochettino about his techniques and experiences. I have been lucky enough to speak to Martin Jol on a few occasions and learnt a great deal. As an aside here Martin (along with John McD) is hugely responsible for our excellent recent record of getting yout players all the way through to pro and semi-pro football.

Last edited:
Everything is a science, "art" is just science that has yet to be understood and properly applied.

At no point have I suggested I'm never wrong, just that it's rare.

The reason I know being a coach is easier is that I've met quite a large number of football people through corporate events - whether they were speakers or at meet and greets, etc. Most of them were thoroughly decent people with a few interesting stories. None of them would stand out outside the world of football.

Just think about it statistically. There are very, very few genuinely intelligent people. I mean the real stand out types - it's a genuinely rare skill. Now think about how many people are skillful in a football sense - again, very, very rare. So what proportion of the population are likely to be in the top bracket(s) of both? It's going to be incredibly rare. I suspect that the handful who are that able are in the handful of world class managers.

Edit:
That's not to say I think I'd make a good coach. I have neither the patience nor the inclination to spend my days explaining concepts to your average footballer.
It is an interesting point of view. However I have worked with a pretty high number of Directors who do not stand out at all, even in their existing sphere of business, who I would bet would be appalling in leadership roles in Sport's teams. Of course there are also the rare few who are truly impressive and usually end up in the C positions. I don't doubt that some of them could make successful coaches/managers, but it would still take them a number of years of hard work, study, learning, experience, experimenting, taking feedback, etc.

I find it interesting that you think being a successful coach is easy, despite never having tried it, but then again as somebody who is so rarely wrong, that is your opinion so it must just be right eh? ;)

You are correct that you wouldn't make a good coach as I would say that being passionate about coaching is one of the base requirements, just as in any leadership role really. I think a workforce of any type is able to quickly sniff out somebody who is just there to pick up their pay cheque and the leader loses their influence.

Or is it that the experience of playing the game at a high level and being part of a winning dressing room is good experience that helps somebody when moving into coaching or management? Take Pochettino as an example here. It seems that even the players that he doesn't play and are turfed out still do not seem to have a bad word to say about him. Is that because as a former player he understands first hand how players (the primadonnas that they often are) like to be treated?

I would actually love to have a detailed discussion with Pochettino about his techniques and experiences. I have been lucky enough to speak to Martin Jol on a few occasions and learnt a great deal. As an aside here Martin (along with John McD) is hugely responsible for our excellent recent record of getting yout players all the way through to pro and semi-pro football.
Any chance of writing a blog for GG?

That's the issue.

Football caps off its own advancement by limiting itself to those who have played to reasonably high levels. Mourinho and Wenger probably stand out from that group, but as a whole, football turns away the best and brightest from the start. Even they were involved in football to some extent.

Both played to a high standard, just not the highest

I find it interesting that you think being a successful coach is easy, despite never having tried it, but then again as somebody who is so rarely wrong, that is your opinion so it must just be right eh? ;)

Its the old saying and he falls into it, "those that can do so, those that can not talk and slag it off".

Was good, save for the hospital pass to GKN on the 4 on 1 counterattack at the end.
And that attack encapsulated Sissoko beautifully. A sublime run that propelled us to what looked like an inevitable goal. A ridiculous pass that prevented us from taking advantage of a 4 vs 1 break. At least he seems to have rediscovered the part of his game that is most attractive. The problem remains that his technique often lets him down. Still, the chances of us getting decent money for him are increased with each improved performance. Can't say I'd be too happy if I was GKN tho .....

And that attack encapsulated Sissoko beautifully. A sublime run that propelled us to what looked like an inevitable goal. A ridiculous pass that prevented us from taking advantage of a 4 vs 1 break. At least he seems to have rediscovered the part of his game that is most attractive. The problem remains that his technique often lets him down. Still, the chances of us getting decent money for him are increased with each improved performance. Can't say I'd be too happy if I was GKN tho .....
it's a matter of centimeters separating that pass from being perfect. It had to be played with some pace, to not slow down the break. Begovic was very quick off the line too. It wasn't a bad pass, just a tiny bit off perfect.

I love his running, he actually tries to make something happen. Reminds me of townsend that he might not do what you want with the ball, but sometimes you need someone to power run because his presence running can create stuff.

He was excellent in his cameo. Strong running and tackling is exactly what we need in these situations as people are tiring. Can see him getting a start in Madrid.

Looks more confident and faster. If he can add more finesse to his final ball...
As @Kandi1977 said, it was a matter of centimeters from being a perfect pass and Begovic came out very quickly. In a previous attack he made a perfect cross for Alli with his weaker foot, so let's cut the guy some slack. It's not like everything the rest of our players do comes off perfectly.

As @Kandi1977 said, it was a matter of centimeters from being a perfect pass and Begovic came out very quickly. In a previous attack he made a perfect cross for Alli with his weaker foot, so let's cut the guy some slack. It's not like everything the rest of our players do comes off perfectly.
I appreciate how he has improved and have only once (reflexively) slagged him off. Today his energy and pace made a solid inpact. But we can all talk about being 'close' to a perfect pass. Which is not a perfect pass. And I think it's fair to point out that he can improve more.

Back