• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Dembele

Making it that much easier to keep our best players. Salaries and bonuses makes players and agents smile...

Also, we had a significant, thought often overlooked, net transfer spend that season.

And lots of senior players on high wages across the squad

The league being this open again is highly unlikely, which would make 'sustained' top four equally impossible until the stadium arrives, just by dint of the quality difference between a team which buys a nineteen year old like Dembele to fill a hole in the squad (and is willing to loan him out for six months and struggle on with just one striker) and a team which goes out and insta-buys Aguero, Sanchez or Lukaku because they can. And I will point out that we are still far too brittle and prone to draws/ avoidable losses: essentially, thirty-nine points after twenty-two games is still on course for about seventy points come the end of the season -good, but we've been here before.

And personally, I subscribe to the 'bird in the hand over two in the bush' philosophy here: I'd take CL or trophy this season over preserving this 'squad harmony' that would be so devastated by signing a readymade striker (and there is an equal argument to be made for the idea that having a squad so fragile in terms of chemistry might not be the best survival tactic either). There is no guarantee that we'd be competing long-term until the stadium arrives, so why not take what we can get this season and thus build a buffer against future disappointments?

Either way, mind, my expectations for Poch will increase next season: breaching the seventy-point mark is likely to be it, given that we got sixty-plus last time and are likely to get the same this season if we suffer a wobble. But if Poch fails to make those expectations, having a CL campaign or trophy to point to would do wonders when it comes to giving him an easy time for failing to deliver.

Also, thank you for using 'I couldn't care less': people unthinkingly saying 'I could care less' is one of the banes of modern existence in North America, I think. :p
If we find the right striker in January, I'd be all for it. But that is highly unlikely and what I'm saying is that we shouldn't resort to the "get someone in; anyone!" approach.

And no worries, the league will continue to be topsy turvy next year. I don't think this year had as much to do with the big teams falling off (with Chelsea being the one exception), as it did with the fact that there's increased parity. There aren't that many gimmes anymore. I do believe, however, that no matter who other teams buy, we'll be equally and probably more competitive than we are this year, because we're building a team, rather than just buying the best players. Which also means the expectations will be higher, as they should be, and much more will be expected from Poch and this team.

But for me the most important thing is to stick with this project, because given our resources, it's the only way we can compete and see ourselves at the levels we aspire, and do so consistently.

In any case, let's see how things pan out and we can pick up the discussion at the end of the season and again at the end of the next one. ;)

If we find the right striker in January, I'd be all for it. But that is highly unlikely and what I'm saying is that we shouldn't resort to the "get someone in; anyone!" approach.

And no worries, the league will continue to be topsy turvy next year. I don't think this year had as much to do with the big teams falling off (with Chelsea being the one exception), as it did with the fact that there's increased parity. There aren't that many gimmes anymore. I do believe, however, that no matter who other teams buy, we'll be equally and probably more competitive than we are this year, because we're building a team, rather than just buying the best players. Which also means the expectations will be higher, as they should be, and much more will be expected from Poch and this team.

But for me the most important thing is to stick with this project, because given our resources, it's the only way we can compete and see ourselves at the levels we aspire, and do so consistently.

In any case, let's see how things pan out and we can pick up the discussion at the end of the season and again at the end of the next one. ;)

Oh, I'm not saying you're dogmatically against signing a striker: I don't think anyone is on this board (even @Gutter Boy, although the thought of signing Berahino seems to fill him with an almost fanatical hatred for some reason). But I do think that you're overestimating the extent to which the increased parity in the league will actually translate to consistently unpredictable seasons: sure, there are no 'gimmes' anymore, and lower level teams aren't obliged to sell their players to the top clubs anymore, but that doesn't mean that the erstwhile top four won't heavily invest to regain their primacy this summer. It thus seems essential to me that we make this season count: I agree with the idea of consistent improvement being an expectation on Poch in the seasons to come (it's what I've stuck by ever since he was appointed, anyway), but in the event that he can't make it happen, a CL/trophy season this year will grant him a lot more leeway, that's all. Which is undoubtedly being risked by relying on just Kane.

But yes, let's see how things pan out. Hopefully we won't need to bemoan missed opportunities in May: that has become somewhat irksome over the past few seasons. :)

Assuming we get him ( fingers crossed !!) how are we going to differentiate between the two Dembele's on here?

MD 1 and MD2

Or

MD ma and MD mi

Or

Single S and Double SS?

Or

Other suggestions?

Assuming we get him ( fingers crossed !!) how are we going to differentiate between the two Dembele's on here?

MD 1 and MD2

Or

MD ma and MD mi

Or

Single S and Double SS?

Or

Other suggestions?

MSY and M Dembele

Like when JJ and JPR Williams played together

Dembelinho

If im not mistaken there were a case or two in the 90s where players with same last name had one of the players with II behind the name. Not at Spurs, but im sure i've seen it

saw on TBHN that we have signed this guy and are waiting on Fulham securing a replacement.

They cannot sign any players this window because they have a transfer embargo. I think that they can bring in players on loan though.

Yeah I know about their embargo... I am just hoping this is true not that I know loads about him, does anybody know enough to suggest he would integrate well into our set-up and crucially could he deputise for Kane if needed?

Yeah I know about their embargo... I am just hoping this is true not that I know loads about him, does anybody know enough to suggest he would integrate well into our set-up and crucially could he deputise for Kane if needed?

He sounds very much the right type of player (well-built, intelligent, mobile, plays with his back to goal and links-up play etc). His 'readiness' is I guess very difficult for anyone to judge

If this signing comes off, I'm looking forward to the "Two Mous(s)a Dembeles... there's only two Mous(s)a Dembeles!" song

Predictable? Of course. Will I still laugh? Of course.

Back