• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mourinho - What Next?

Hypothetical question....

Would anyone take JM over Pochettino? For the first time I'd say hell no.

If Pochettino gets nabbed in the summer, unlikely as it may seem, would anyone want him in then if he was interested?

I'd love it if Jose (in an attempt to show his early skills at Porto) joined up with a team that perhaps didn't have unlimited funds. I'm not expecting him to start up at Wycombe Wanderers and work them up the league but surely he must want a bit of a challenge.

If Utd are still floundering come summer and he joins them you know there's going a be a crazy transfer window and we'll be gazumped time and time again.

On Mourinho's letter to United.
Sid Lowe pointed out that he did the same thing with Barcelona and Liverpool(before Chelsea).
Both times he was invited to submit these proposals.
There's the case to be made that someone at United has invited him to propose what he would do if Manager. And someone else at United leaked this.
The interesting thing is he is making this promise to curtail his behaviour if appointed.

If he takes over at Utd, he'll need to spend a fortune, because they are full of average players. If he was in charge of the same group they have now, they'd be no higher up the league imo. De Gea is world class, take out Rooney who is on the way down, then they are either potential/past it/average.

I wouldn't take any of their players in our starting XI.

If he takes over at Utd, he'll need to spend a fortune, because they are full of average players. If he was in charge of the same group they have now, they'd be no higher up the league imo. De Gea is world class, take out Rooney who is on the way down, then they are either potential/past it/average.

Starting XI maybe De Gea (calm down, calm down) but not too many of the others. There are some good players at Utd but they are not a functioning team by any stretch of the imagination, and LVG is not the man to make them one. He is a relic of a different footballing age.

There are a lot of players in their squad playing well below their level and they should be doing better, but there are certainly quite a few average ones in there too I'll admit. The whole make-up of their squad and their playing style appears to be rather random. There does not seem to be any cohesive plan around either. I think the performances reflect this fact. Sometimes they look reasonably good and other times they look like complete strangers. This is all down to Van Gaal IMO and a different manager would get them all pointed in the same direction at least.

What I find a little worrying from a Spurs perspective is how many undeserved points they have picked up. This is mostly because of De Gea maybe but the net result is they are way too close for comfort. They have absolutely blagged their way to at least half a dozen wins that I can remember, and my fear is they actually get their crud together and go on a little run of form. In some way we are the polar opposite to Utd. We are a cohesive, well managed team all pulling in the same direction and to complete the symmetry we have a lost out on plenty of deserved points. If they sack LVG I'd be more worried but hopefully they won't do that until we are too far ahead of them.

Last edited:
Starting XI maybe De Gea (calm down, calm down) but not too many of the others. There are some good players at Utd but they are not a functioning team by any stretch of the imagination, and LVG is not the man to make them one. He is a relic of a different footballing age.

There are a lot of players in their squad playing well below their level and they should be doing better, but there are certainly quite a few average ones in there too I'll admit. The whole make-up of their squad and their playing style appears to be rather random. There does not seem to be any cohesive plan around either. I think the performances reflect this fact. Sometimes they look reasonably good and other times they look like complete strangers. This is all down to Van Gaal IMO and a different manager would get them all pointed in the same direction at least.

What I find a little worrying from a Spurs perspective is how many undeserved points they have picked up. This is mostly because of De Gea maybe but the net result is they are way too close for comfort. They have absolutely blagged their way to at least half a dozen wins that I can remember, and my fear is they actually get their crud together and go on a little run of form. In some way we are the polar opposite to Utd. We are a cohesive, well managed team all pulling in the same direction and to complete the symmetry we have a lost out on plenty of deserved points. If they sack LVG I'd be more worried but hopefully they don't do that until we are too far ahead of them.

IMO, De Gea is the only reason Utd aren't about 14th in the table.

On Mourinho's letter to United.
Sid Lowe pointed out that he did the same thing with Barcelona and Liverpool(before Chelsea).
Both times he was invited to submit these proposals.
There's the case to be made that someone at United has invited him to propose what he would do if Manager. And someone else at United leaked this.
The interesting thing is he is making this promise to curtail his behaviour if appointed.

Yeah. Definitely an interesting take on it from Sid Lowe.

I still think it was a huge mistake to go for Moyes when they could have had Morinho (said it at the time so not only hindsight bias). If they miss out on Pep I think Morinho should be very close to the top of the list of "the rest" as they pick their next manager.

Well, they will probably again have a fortune to spend.

Mourinho does like spending money, but he's also excellent at identifying players that can come in and improve the team around them. Some of his signings at Chelsea his first spell there were absolutely inspired. And helped take the Ranieri Chelsea team to a completely different level.

He does have a history of working a bit too closely with Jorge Mendes from what I've seen. I think that might worry United. They'll have a lot of money to spend and Mourinho spending it for the benefit of his agent (and himself) would seem a slightly worrying prospect. If they can curtail Mourinho in the transfer market to get him working to the club's benefit he can again do a great job I'm sure.

They also have a lot of young quality. Arguably part of LvG's problem has been his fondness for young players. So many of his star signings have been younger players that perhaps haven't stepped up as quickly as he must have hoped.

Players like De Gea, Smalling, Shaw, Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Mata, Depay and Martial have plenty of years left at the top level and have a ton of quality. Not all of those would walk into our starting 11 of course, but several of them are at a very similar level to our starting players.

What they lack is a cohesive team from those players with a lack of quality. What they miss is perhaps 2-3 key signings to help knit the team together to a unit. To me Mourinho would be just about perfect for them, spotting those weaknesses, getting rid of what he considers dead wood for his system and turning a squad of individuals into a team is right down his alley. He's one of the best in the world at that.

There are worries of course for them. The now much talked about 3rd season problems. The expected conflicts that will follow Mourinho. And of course he doesn't trust young players nearly as much as LvG and probably less than the majority of managers. They would be going in a different direction after LvG's work with those youngsters. Could see quite a few highly rated youngsters just fall of by the wayside if they do go for Mourinho.

Good post.

Players like De Gea, Smalling, Shaw, Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Mata, Depay and Martial have plenty of years left at the top level and have a ton of quality.

The problem at United is that, with the exception of De Gea, none of these players are playing to potential, some well below it. You hire a manager to make a difference, to make the players play to potential and as a team, making the team better than the sum of its parts. LVG has made a difference, but he's made the team less than the sum of the parts. Perhaps the reason they seem to be overperforming, despite horrible form, is that they still have players who can make a difference at critical times.

He does have a history of working a bit too closely with Jorge Mendes from what I've seen. I think that might worry United.

Isn't that part of their transfer strategy? What did happen to Bebe?

Signed for Manure from next season, or at least so the rumours say.

Plus Neymar's father confirms that Manure bid £145m for him (Neymar jr, that is) last summer.

Think I'll just log off the Internet during the summer, because if this happens, Mourinho and Manure will be linked with multimillion transfers for just about any good player and his brother.

Signed for Manure from next season, or at least so the rumours say.

Plus Neymar's father confirms that Manure bid £145m for him (Neymar jr, that is) last summer.

Think I'll just log off the Internet during the summer, because if this happens, Mourinho and Manure will be linked with multimillion transfers for just about any good player and his brother.

Pellegrini to Chelsea?

Back