• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moses - can he lead us to the promised CL land?

Pirate, you core coming across a bit bratty about other people's opinions. I also think you're talking gibberish so you'll probably be equally dismissive with what I have to say.

For me, the last thing we need to be doing is spending 30m on a striker. Presuming we're working to a budget. To justify by predicting that Kane won't have as good a season is so painfully cynical... We don't buy a 30m striker to either sit in the bench, or replace our young star, or just in the off chance he isn't as good this season. That is so dumb.

As for not challenge going top 4, we don't need superstars, we were close last season with a new manager and poison running through the club. Plus Mason in the middle. Get a central midfielder, Kane from the. Eh inning of the season, already an improved defence, our young squad one year older and more experienced, a couple of great addition on wing and back up striker and we can easily be fighting.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Time will tell. All of our competitors for the last CL spot have spent big to improve on last season. Do you really think your strategy will match that of Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd or Liverpool?

Whatever our transfer strategy, it must involve identifying talent that our rivals with bigger financial muscles have overlooked, Our scouting needs to be top notch and our acquisition of identified targets needs to be swift.

Some of our best signings haven't cost the earth, Bale we got it right eventually, Carrick was about 7m I think,Eriksen & Chadli decent fees, Berbatov didn't cost the earth, Modric was probably our most expensive success though we needed to wait for a season for him to come good.

Bent, Paulie, Pav, Soldado expensive flops...jury's out on Lamela (please come good!)

We all want a succesful team...but given our financial weakness and pulling power compared to woolwich,utd,city,chelski,pool we need to be savvy in the recruitment department, hopefully Mitchell can make this happen...we have restructured our transfer policy and so far I am impressed but we still have players to sell...much to do.

really good read above! Victor who?

But why replace our dross with players of equal quality at all?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to miss out your middle stage and spend ALL the generated money on players who will upgrade the first team?
I don't think that most of our first team would be happy as squad players for a team of our size (which is the result of what you're suggesting).

Until we're regularly in the CL (and able to pay massive wages) we're stuck with having to hold on to a load of players that aren't good enough for our first team.

When at our best last season we were very good. What killed our season was the crap that had to play (or was so bad the first team were forced to continue) when the first team tired.

I have never been willing to settle for mediocrity in any walk of life. Some see things differently. That's life. Enjoy watching your sub par players. There is often a reason why they are cheap.
Congratulations on your ownership of a 300SLR and your lovely penthouse on Park Lane.

Or are you, like our club, restrained in the real world by finances?

.....And others who believe you can build a team capable of sustaining a challenge for a top four place on a shoestring budget just with a little "research" . Therein lies the way of false dawns and continued heartbreak, with minimal entertainment from robotic players along the way. Sigh

Use of hyperbole doesn't make your argument more convincing.

What I don't get is that the players you currently favour signing are not ones who would be starting for the teams above us either, so I am not sure that they would close the gap. They are both also aging and would want big wages. It feels like putting all your money on black at roulette.

Just seen Mourinhos interview on Sky where he says Moses is in his plans, however Salah should leave.

Could just be posturing of course...

Question: Can Moses actually lead the line?

A lot of support on here has come from the comments that he can play up top or on the wing, but can he? So far as I can see he is a winger and one that works off the left too.

Use of hyperbole doesn't make your argument more convincing.

What I don't get is that the players you currently favour signing are not ones who would be starting for the teams above us either, so I am not sure that they would close the gap. They are both also aging and would want big wages. It feels like putting all your money on black at roulette.

I am being realistic. We simply can't afford those players that would be certain starters for the teams above us. Hence, I have tempered my choices accordingly. Benteke is only 24/25 and at one time I thought if we could have got him in part X for Ade and Townsend plus cash, he would have been great for us imo. Dzeko has a significant X factor and can play lone striker or out wider. Song has a super pedigree in a position our youthful team badly needs experience. All three have plenty of PL experience and consequently are minimum risk.

Can you name any better players we could potentially sign that would be certain starters for the top four? Moses? McCarthy? Austin? Don't see them helping us to close the gap.

I am being realistic. We simply can't afford those players that would be certain starters for the teams above us. Hence, I have tempered my choices accordingly. Benteke is only 24/25 and at one time I thought if we could have got him in part X for Ade and Townsend plus cash, he would have been great for us imo. Dzeko has a significant X factor and can play lone striker or out wider. Song has a super pedigree in a position our youthful team badly needs experience. All three have plenty of PL experience and consequently are minimum risk.

Can you name any better players we could potentially sign that would be certain starters for the top four? Moses? McCarthy? Austin? Don't see them helping us to close the gap.

No, I can't think of better examples to support your argument but I don't favour betting the house on red. I am happy with organic growth and signing young players with the potential to improve.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Time will tell. All of our competitors for the last CL spot have spent big to improve on last season. Do you really think your strategy will match that of Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd or Liverpool?

I didn't mean all the time by the way, it just meant in this thread.

That strategy will beat liverpools, as for Utd and city, we can't compete with them. Arsenal are the ones we can over take. I think that strategy can win a cup, can break top 4. Only have to stick with it for 3 more years then we can move up a level.

That strategy will beat liverpools, as for Utd and city, we can't compete with them. Arsenal are the ones we can over take. I think that strategy can win a cup, can break top 4. Only have to stick with it for 3 more years then we can move up a level.

I'll shut-up about it if Van Gaal finishes this season in the top four, but I still think he could screw it up. It's just a hunch - no evidence to back it up - but I get the feeling he's someone who could alienate not just the dressing room, but also The Board at Man U. I'm still waiting for it to implode up there.

I also think Arsenal could have a real problem replacing Wenger, but until that happens I would bet more on us overtaking Man Utd than Arsenal.

I'll shut-up about it if Van Gaal finishes this season in the top four, but I still think he could screw it up. It's just a hunch - no evidence to back it up - but I get the feeling he's someone who could alienate not just the dressing room, but also The Board at Man U. I'm still waiting for it to implode up there.

I also think Arsenal could have a real problem replacing Wenger, but until that happens I would bet more on us overtaking Man Utd than Arsenal.

I agree. There are also some gaping holes in their squad.

I didn't mean all the time by the way, it just meant in this thread.

I admire your optimism. Are you the new Steff?

Personally, IIcan't see this strategy helping us into top four anytime soon . Well within your timescale of three years, the top four will have plundered any of our players making good, leaving us with just the sub par players - again! Sound familiar? It should. Every time we develop a superstar, he is poached. Carrick, Berbs, Modders, Bale. Who will be next Kane, Lloris, Bentaleb? What then. Your strategy is not a strategy for our success.

Personally, IIcan't see this strategy helping us into top four anytime soon . Well within your timescale of three years, the top four will have plundered any of our players making good, leaving us with just the sub par players - again! Sound familiar? It should. Every time we develop a superstar, he is poached. Carrick, Berbs, Modders, Bale. Who will be next Kane, Lloris, Bentaleb? What then. Your strategy is not a strategy for our success.

Is it a worse strategy that breaking our wage policy on ageing players who we know are not good enough for the big clubs?

I was going to have a note saying though LVG could be the big leveller in helping us get close to them again. I agree, he can definitely mess it up!

Kane and bentaleb won't be itching to leave. Lloris maybe. let's make top 4 this season then, so we get to keep everyone! Our back 5 and the back up back 5 is incredibly strong. We have one of the best strikers in the league. Chadli and eriksen scored more than most midfielders (and strikers) in the league. The squad will be more used to picks tactics and he knows who he wants to play and cutting the fat. Plus we are going to improve the squad too. Seems pretty solid a plan to me.

My big fear is poch. The season is long gone so I'm excited again, but I'm not actually convinced by him. I'm more just a very hopeful person!

Is it a worse strategy that breaking our wage policy on ageing players who we know are not good enough for the big clubs?

Yes. It gives us virtually no chance of top four anytime, let alone soon. I fear we will be stuck in the same groove as a feeder club from now on. Let's see if Benteke delivers for Liverpool. If he does, we can expect 6 th place at best for the foreseeable future imo

Back