• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

Completely different circumstances. As I wrote in an earlier post:

I wouldn't normally sympathise with a player acting up in order to secure a transfer away from his club but, in this instance, I can absolutely understand why Schneiderlin is doing exactly that.

It's the club that has betrayed him rather than vice versa. They no longer have a super ambitious owner. Their visionary chairman was forced out. Their manager has gone. Five of their best players have been allowed to leave. The heart has been ripped out of the club.

So it seems harsh to expect such a loyal player who has given so much ((231 games for the club over six years) to hold the fort and be denied a move while others - most of whom gave far less - were allowed to move on to bigger clubs.

What's the difference between the club betraying him in that way and Levy saying stay one more season then I'll let you go if we aren't in the CL? Then acting the **** when it comes to letting you go?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't be signing him or anything because of the way he's getting on, nor was I aiming my comment at you, it was just a general comment.

I agree about Capoue, and that looks more like the Capoue that impressed me at least up until his injury at the start of last season. He was a bit shambolic after that, but there were some circumstances out of his control. I'm happy to see him back playing more like he did at the start of last season in some of the pre-season games. Could be a very useful player for us this season, and he's a player I think could fit in very well under Poch.

Part of my point about deep playmakers is the consistency they have to play with though. The majority of passes played by Modric, Xavi, Pirlo etc are passes just about ever top league professional footballer is capable of - thus putting that in a compilation says very little about the ability of a player. Playing those passes consistently, finding space to receive passes consistently, choosing the right time to play it quickly forward and choosing when to slow down play, all of those are very difficult to showcase in a highlight video.

Very well put, the bold makes the difference between a good player and a great player IMO. It's also why Dembele will never be a great player.

What's the difference between the club betraying him in that way and Levy saying stay one more season then I'll let you go if we aren't in the CL? Then acting the **** when it comes to letting you go?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we shouldn't be signing him or anything because of the way he's getting on, nor was I aiming my comment at you, it was just a general comment.

There's a massive difference.

On the one hand, Southampton have let most of their best players leave and have effectively forfeited any hope of achieving anything in the immediate future. But they are then singling out one of their most loyal and long serving players and saying to him, "You? No, unlike all the others, you aren't allowed to leave". That's a monumental betrayal in the context of a player's career. Others who have given far less to the cause were allowed their big move to fulfil their ambitions. But the loyal player, who has helped them up through the divisions, is forced to stay and wallow in the mediocrity (or worse) that Southampton will now become. I can't think of any good and ambitious player who wouldn't be totally disillusioned by such a slap in the face.

By contrast, Modric was part of a Spurs squad that was still growing and improving - not being dismantled. There was genuine hope that great things could still be achieved at the club the following season. Indeed, so it proved as Spurs finished fourth and would have finished third or higher had Harry not effectively gone AWOL for the final few months.

As to this story about what Levy supposedly promised Modric the year before, it always sounded weak to me. Players and agents are savvy enough to know that a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. They can't have believed that Levy would have acquiesced to any offer from any club. And when that club turned out to be Chelsea.......

There's a massive difference.

On the one hand, Southampton have let most of their best players leave and have effectively forfeited any hope of achieving anything in the immediate future. But they are then singling out one of their most loyal and long serving players and saying to him, "You? No, unlike all the others, you aren't allowed to leave". That's a monumental betrayal in the context of a player's career. Others who have given far less to the cause were allowed their big move to fulfil their ambitions. But the loyal player, who has helped them up through the divisions, is forced to stay and wallow in the mediocrity (or worse) that Southampton will now become. I can't think of any good and ambitious player who wouldn't be totally disillusioned by such a slap in the face.

By contrast, Modric was part of a Spurs squad that was still growing and improving - not being dismantled. There was genuine hope that great things could still be achieved at the club the following season. Indeed, so it proved as Spurs finished fourth and would have finished third or higher had Harry not effectively gone AWOL for the final few months.

As to this story about what Levy supposedly promised Modric the year before, it always sounded weak to me. Players and agents are savvy enough to know that a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. They can't have believed that Levy would have acquiesced to any offer from any club. And when that club turned out to be Chelsea.......

Fair enough when you put it like that! :lol:

I also think that it's fairly likely that Schneiderlin was under the impression that negotiations were ongoing and progressing up until the point that the "will not be sold" statement was issues kind of out of the blue. Remember his tweet was about the relationship being ruined in an hour, so this happened quickly, not something he was calmly informed about ahead of time.

I also think that it's fairly likely that Schneiderlin was under the impression that negotiations were ongoing and progressing up until the point that the "will not be sold" statement was issues kind of out of the blue. Remember his tweet was about the relationship being ruined in an hour, so this happened quickly, not something he was calmly informed about ahead of time.

Good point.

That's also why there's still a good chance that this deal will happen.

Personally I think it will be quiet now till deadline week.

We'll sort CB and come back and get these two over the line once Soton have got a few more new players in

I agree, I think Southampton will now be working hard to bring in a few new faces before they relent and let MS go in a months time. At which point they can say 'well we didnt want to keep someone who clearly wanted to move on, but we had to bring in replacements first'

I agree, I think Southampton will now be working hard to bring in a few new faces before they relent and let MS go in a months time. At which point they can say 'well we didnt want to keep someone who clearly wanted to move on, but we had to bring in replacements first'

its good news they are looking at Leroy Fer, hopefully they get him and that frees up Schneiderlin

considering how highly rated Schneiderlin seems to be by many on here, surely Utd, Chelski, Arsanal will be in for him. They all need a ball playing defensive mid of his supposed class

considering how highly rated Schneiderlin seems to be by many on here, surely Utd, Chelski, Arsanal will be in for him. They all need a ball playing defensive mid of his supposed class
I agree and hope we have decent alternative plans in place. If we'd signed him and JR and a CB I'd be feeling good about aa decent season. As it is we're two weeks away from season KO and we have barely strengthened. If these two are not going to happen Levy, Poch and Baldini need to get looking elsewhere, and quick. Sure the window is open until 1.9 but we could have thrown away some important points by then.

Back