• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Missing football

The heat was massively massively understated back here
It was mid 30s for us walking to the ground and could have been hotter inside
That’s not a great environment for an English side

The heat was absolutely brutal, but the effect would have been the same for both sides. I think it did add to the lacklustre feel to the whole match though, energy levels must have been sapped.

I agree but a couple of mitigating circumstances not often mentioned:
1. The day was extremely hot, so at pitch level inside the stadium it was presumably bas.tard hot
2. Liverpool player Andy Robertson said he noticed several Spurs players cramping up around 60 minutes; and the same thing happened to Pool the year earlier against Madrid, because it is so overwhelming to FINALLY be in the CL Final, the tension creeps up on you all day so you're knackered much sooner / by the time of the late night game
1) Would be a mitigating circumstance if we weren't playing an English side.

2) Is just poor preparation. There's a video floating around of Mourinho talking through his cup final preparations. Getting the team to visualise every tiny detail of every step in the build up, getting them to go through every possible scenario, etc. It's the manager's job to make every match just another match. It's often why you see such extreme emotions (beyond what a cup final should normally produce) at the end of a match - it's because that's the first moment that hasn't been visualised. All the emotion comes rushing out because the players are finally seeing the game for what it really is.

1) Would be a mitigating circumstance if we weren't playing an English side.

2) Is just poor preparation. There's a video floating around of Mourinho talking through his cup final preparations. Getting the team to visualise every tiny detail of every step in the build up, getting them to go through every possible scenario, etc. It's the manager's job to make every match just another match. It's often why you see such extreme emotions (beyond what a cup final should normally produce) at the end of a match - it's because that's the first moment that hasn't been visualised. All the emotion comes rushing out because the players are finally seeing the game for what it really is.

lemons tho yeah

The highlights on Spurs site are really good today: Spurs 3 Real Madrid 1 and Sonny's ten best goals. Cheered me up. :)

The highlights on Spurs site are really good today: Spurs 3 Real Madrid 1 and Sonny's ten best goals. Cheered me up. :)

That game was an absolute joy, the peak of Poch's time imo, the best team in Europe, admittedly without their best player, and we absolutely hammered them.

This game has been used as a benchmark time and again but Madrid were seriously depleted at the back and seemingly careless to boot. I wouldn't read too much into it. They still went on and won the thing regardless. I've still got it on my tivo so may rewatch it now and reassess.

Last edited:
20 minutes gone ,the compusure and cohesion of Real is apparent but without any cutting edge, spurs are a bit huff and puff, noticeably sweaty,but promising signs in way of openings and wanting to keep it.

Last edited:
Noticing though that the commentary is very much discordant to what is going on. Put it down to national broadcasters trying to paint a prettier picture.

Yeah definitely offside a la walker v Emirates Marketing Project, but in front. Still not playing great, alli's weight of passing schoolboy.

Strange commentary from mcmannan and chapman, kind of overpraising towards the lads and in turn too disparaging of madrid.

Back