• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

I actually don't think the tactics exposed him. Sitting deep where he can get his head in the way or direct lads around him is where he's at his best. Play high up the pitch and he gets exposed. Look at the Leicester game away last season. 1 v 1s he got done on two of them for goals I think. There was one just before half time that was horrendous defending. Look at the Man U game at home. Rashford got him 1 v 1 and destroyed him. He just didn't have either the pace or the defensive sense to cope. You can't play a high line with Dier.

I'm not a hater by the way. I think he's been a good servant to the club and I love his attitude and what I know of him as a person. But his involvement now should be limited IMO.
He's a good squad player that can fill in a number of positions if needed but shouldn't be a starter when we have a fit squad.

I actually don't think the tactics exposed him. Sitting deep where he can get his head in the way or direct lads around him is where he's at his best. Play high up the pitch and he gets exposed. Look at the Leicester game away last season. 1 v 1s he got done on two of them for goals I think. There was one just before half time that was horrendous defending. Look at the Man U game at home. Rashford got him 1 v 1 and destroyed him. He just didn't have either the pace or the defensive sense to cope. You can't play a high line with Dier.

I'm not a hater by the way. I think he's been a good servant to the club and I love his attitude and what I know of him as a person. But his involvement now should be limited IMO.

Very well put. Other goals that standout, Liverpool at home when he tried to head it back to Lloris and instead put it on a plate to Salah and the Brentford game when he shanked the ball off for a corner and they scored from it.

Very well put. Other goals that standout, Liverpool at home when he tried to head it back to Lloris and instead put it on a plate to Salah and the Brentford game when he shanked the ball off for a corner and they scored from it.

There are too many goals that standout. The goal against Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the home fixture. Lloris came out and clashed with Wilson. The chance arose for Wilson to take a shot but Dier froze too long. He could have got back on the line to cover but nope.

Also his ridiculously naive challenge against Werner to concede a penalty a few seasons back. Or how he stands there and just watched defensively too often. I remember Liverpool scoring from a cross where he just ball watched.

He’s not the worst centre back only on the grounds that I don’t think that he IS a centre back. He wanted to play there but I really don’t think he’s ever had the mindset or abillty to play there. These are just my thoughts of course.

I know its not very cool to like him any more, but he is a good player, who has had a few issues (health, terrible tactics etc).

I can see a scenario that in a few months time he gets a new contract, and sees out his career with us as the elder statesman of the squad
Elder statesman? Except for being best pals with some guys like kane son and dele, I don't hear much credit from the newer recruits. I know he looks animated and vocal but it never appeared to me that Romero was following him much. He probably did scare Sanchez everytime they played together though! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Fapatalk

Would have been nice to have had VDV and Veliz sorted this weekend and have them come out at half time along with Phillips tomorrow.

Is revealing players at a match a thing anymore? The last one I remember is Jermain Defoe at half-time of the first leg of the Carling Cup semi v Burnley in 2009.

I think they prefer the social media numbers these days.

Is revealing players at a match a thing anymore? The last one I remember is Jermain Defoe at half-time of the first leg of the Carling Cup semi v Burnley in 2009.

I think they prefer the social media numbers these days.

I was just meaning let them walk out to greet the crowd rather than announcing them as a signing.

They will have their social media video as an announcement

I really hope we sign VDV (it would be good to have another one with those initials!). I would still like us to sign an established older statesman type of centre half who could successfully marshal Romero and VDV. Laporte would be a good buy from Emirates Marketing Project now he is presumably surplus to requierments.

Back