• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Micky van de Ven

Playing higher up and with possession will make a massive difference to all our defenders. I wouldnt write off a renaissance from any of them (bar Rodon, who has always been crap)

The problem with your logic is Dier is neither good in possession nor is he quick. Romero isn’t rapid either but he is good on the ball and VDV looks like he has pace if nothing else.

The problem with your logic is Dier is neither good in possession nor is he quick. Romero isn’t rapid either but he is good on the ball and VDV looks like he has pace if nothing else.
Dier is quick. Not agile, but quick as the distance increases. He'll improve in this new system

Foyth needed a loan, and needed more time at RB. He's definitely good enough.

Sanchez perhaps with a more nurturing manager post-Poch might have fulfilled his potential?

Wimmer probably did fluke his one impressive season

Foyth made too many mistakes which you can’t have playing as a defender.

What potential are you referring to with Sanchez? He’s terrible on the ball, isn’t overly strong, doesn’t read the game well. He had 2.5 seasons under Poch which is more than enough time to make the position his own. How much time would you propose we give players who are underperforming? He had one very good season but unfortunately he has been consistently poor ever since.

Wimmer was always going to be nothing more than a backup.

Dier is quick. Not agile, but quick as the distance increases. He'll improve in this new system

I’ve never heard anyone ever describe Dier as quick. By quick do you mean in the same way that if you push a boulder down a hill? I just can’t fathom how you still think he should be starting games after letting down every manager who has played him at CB. He’s not at an age where he is going to rapidly improve like Danny Rose did under Poch for example. If he wants to be a CB and a starter then he needs to do it for another club, most likely lower down the league like Bournemouth or Luton.

I’ve never heard anyone ever describe Dier as quick. By quick do you mean in the same way that if you push a boulder down a hill? I just can’t fathom how you still think he should be starting games after letting down every manager who has played him at CB. He’s not at an age where he is going to rapidly improve like Danny Rose did under Poch for example. If he wants to be a CB and a starter then he needs to do it for another club, most likely lower down the league like Bournemouth or Luton.
He's always been quick: https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/01/...astest-player-revealed-yedlin-has-serious-co/

He's just not been allowed outside our 18 yard box for nearly 4 years

He was quick back in the days at least. In his debut season he was clocked as one of the quickest players in the premier league!

"Dier’s top speed reached 35.0 kilometres per hour, faster than Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez (34.6), according to results released by The Mail"
Last season he was only measured to 31,6. Considering we were mostly parked at the 16 meter line, that's not bad.

For comparison, Son was our fastest player last season, with 34,6 kph

He was quick back in the days at least. In his debut season he was clocked as one of the quickest players in the premier league!

"Dier’s top speed reached 35.0 kilometres per hour, faster than Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez (34.6), according to results released by The Mail"
Last season he was only measured to 31,6. Considering we were mostly parked at the 16 meter line, that's not bad.

For comparison, Son was our fastest player last season, with 34,6 kph

Yeah I mean I was quick when I was 11. He certainly shouldn’t be described as quick now.

Having a high top speed doesn’t really matter in football when it takes you 10 seconds to reach that top speed. Being fast on the turn and fast over a short distance are what really matter.
My first post on the subject said he's not agile, but quick as the distance increases. Like Campbell was too. So a higher line will help him

And if Dier fails under Ange like he has under previous managers would you reconsider how highly you rate him?
I know its not very cool to like him any more, but he is a good player, who has had a few issues (health, terrible tactics etc).

I can see a scenario that in a few months time he gets a new contract, and sees out his career with us as the elder statesman of the squad

I know its not very cool to like him any more, but he is a good player, who has had a few issues (health, terrible tactics etc).

I can see a scenario that in a few months time he gets a new contract, and sees out his career with us as the elder statesman of the squad

So a no then.

His health issues were 5 years ago. Tactics didn’t help but that doesn’t account for giving the ball away, being out of position, not getting tight enough to attacking players etc.

So a no then.

His health issues were 5 years ago. Tactics didn’t help but that doesn’t account for giving the ball away, being out of position, not getting tight enough to attacking players etc.
We'll find out anyway, as he's definitely going to be part of the setup next season

Reactions: DTA

I'm actually partly with you on this. Dier isn't as bad as most on here say he is. With how we played, with the defence under pretty much constant pressure, mistakes will be more frequent. You could replace him with van Dijk, and it would still look terrible. Dier is a seasoned pro with bags of experience, and does not hide. Yes there are better CB's out there, but he's definitely not terrible. Decent player to have in the squad, and I also believe a higher press will suit him better.

I'm actually partly with you on this. Dier isn't as bad as most on here say he is. With how we played, with the defence under pretty much constant pressure, mistakes will be more frequent. You could replace him with van Dijk, and it would still look terrible. Dier is a seasoned pro with bags of experience, and does not hide. Yes there are better CB's out there, but he's definitely not terrible. Decent player to have in the squad, and I also believe a higher press will suit him better.

I actually don't think the tactics exposed him. Sitting deep where he can get his head in the way or direct lads around him is where he's at his best. Play high up the pitch and he gets exposed. Look at the Leicester game away last season. 1 v 1s he got done on two of them for goals I think. There was one just before half time that was horrendous defending. Look at the Man U game at home. Rashford got him 1 v 1 and destroyed him. He just didn't have either the pace or the defensive sense to cope. You can't play a high line with Dier.

I'm not a hater by the way. I think he's been a good servant to the club and I love his attitude and what I know of him as a person. But his involvement now should be limited IMO.

Back