• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

thsteff said that in choosing to stay and knuckle down Dawson 'showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined.'

Should we not have recognised and valued those characteristics in him from his many sterling performances for us over the years?

=D>

Sorry that's clearly not what happened. Spurs agreed a fee for dawson that must have been on the say so of AVB - in other words "it is ok to sell him." Look I'm not trying to bring negativity at a great time to be a spurs fan. But there are posters on this board who truly believe AVB is in fallible ( despite him saying he made a mistake) and then justify Dawson still being part of the squad as some improvement on his part. Like African I don't see it,in fact I see the same player I've always seen. I would also add that when I was defending Dawson in the Summer I suggested that he would be fine playing in a high line for the same reasons that african suggested. I'm just not as articulate at describing tactics as African is. I believe Spurs fans should show loyalty to some one like Dawson -bloody hell he has earned it imo.

Great post. Personally i couldnt have put if better myself

though i have to say, you one up me if you thought he would be okay with the highline

thsteff said that in choosing to stay and knuckle down Dawson 'showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined.'

Should we not have recognised and valued those characteristics in him from his many sterling performances for us over the years?

He was offered a much higher wage and was told he would be fighting to be in the squad and that as it stood, he wouldn't be starting. In this day and age, in this game, for him to not only turn down the move but work double-hard to change the manager's mind is a rare thing indeed. Even nice guys have a threshold. You're making the massive mistake of assuming that I did not value those charactaristics in the first place BTW.

Sorry that's clearly not what happened. Spurs agreed a fee for dawson that must have been on the say so of AVB - in other words "it is ok to sell him." Look I'm not trying to bring negativity at a great time to be a spurs fan. But there are posters on this board who truly believe AVB is in fallible ( despite him saying he made a mistake) and then justify Dawson still being part of the squad as some improvement on his part. Like African I don't see it,in fact I see the same player I've always seen. I would also add that when I was defending Dawson in the Summer I suggested that he would be fine playing in a high line for the same reasons that african suggested. I'm just not as articulate at describing tactics as African is. I believe Spurs fans should show loyalty to some one like Dawson -bloody hell he has earned it imo.

I don't see a difference..

Why would Spurs tell Dawson about a fee that they would not have agreed on?

They wouldn't.

Nobody has said AVB is infallible. On this thread people are more bigging up Dawson for having the character to improve and win his spot back.

=D>
Finally.
Some honesty.
This has little to do with Dawson and much more to do with some people's aggravation at others (primarily my in this case) consistent support of what AVB has been trying to do. I'll go one step further and say that if everyone who has 'contributed' had the courage, they'd admit this all spills back to the days of a former manager and comments made about him.
If you don't think Michael Dawson has added anything to his game, then so be it. But there is absolutely NO reason to hohn in on tiny words and phrases amidst what started (from me) as a massive congratulation of the player and an admittance that I thought he'd be off in the summer (despite loving the geezer).
You've undoubtably staked your case that you always felt Dawson could play in a high-line, pressing side. Fair play to you. But to claim he is the same player with absolutely no modifications to his game is naive IMO.

Look, I know that it's really uncool and unhip (especially coming from me) to (once again) give the manager even a hint of praise, but would it not be obvious to you that Michael Dawson might have sat down with the manager and said he didn't want to take the deal, he wanted to stay and fight, discuss what might be needed to force his way, get given an honest answer, do what was discussed and hey-ho, find himself in the frame again?

Is that possible? or am I just aggravating you and a few others by suggesting that (ssssssshhhh - don't shout it out) that our (manager) might actually be pretty fudging special?

Apologies BTW mate for not managing to squeeze my waffling into one reply. I'm genuinely NOT trying to up my post count or anything...;)

=D>
Finally.
Some honesty.
This has little to do with Dawson and much more to do with some people's aggravation at others (primarily my in this case) consistent support of what AVB has been trying to do. I'll go one step further and say that if everyone who has 'contributed' had the courage, they'd admit this all spills back to the days of a former manager and comments made about him.
If you don't think Michael Dawson has added anything to his game, then so be it. But there is absolutely NO reason to hohn in on tiny words and phrases amidst what started (from me) as a massive congratulation of the player and an admittance that I thought he'd be off in the summer (despite loving the geezer).
You've undoubtably staked your case that you always felt Dawson could play in a high-line, pressing side. Fair play to you. But to claim he is the same player with absolutely no modifications to his game is naive IMO.

LOL, no wonder you said you back away from this, your paranoid about people's motivation.
I would say get real but i know how hard that is in situations like this

what i can safely say is that dawson is the same guy. period. You just couldnt see it and clearly never have IMO ....if his courage fortitude and character surprises you..or if you think his passing has improved

the courage thing is a little bit silly though i have to say. but i guess if people want to ignore the points and go for the conspiracy then thats cool too. i know i see conspiracy here quite a lot

LOL, no wonder you said you back away from this, your paranoid about people's motivation.
I would say get real but i know how hard that is in situations like this

what i can safely say is that dawson is the same guy. period. You just couldnt see it and clearly never have IMO ....if his courage fortitude and character surprises you..or if you think his passing has improved

the courage thing is a little bit silly though i have to say. but i guess if people want to ignore the points and go for the conspiracy then thats cool too. i know i see conspiracy here quite a lot

(sigh) For the 100th fudging time Affy, his courage, character and fortitude has never surprised me in the past but to turn down a massive wage increase and regular, guaranteed week-in-week-out first-team football to stay and FIGHT for a SQUAD place showed levels of each that I doubt even you thought he had. Seriously. Are you going to sit there and tell me you were not in the least bit surprised he turned the move down? I really wish people would READ what's written and not TAKE from it only the bits they want to latch onto...again, and I said this before but you're not having it, I believe he has ADDED a dimension to his game and now being able to comfortably play a high-line.

I did NOT think he could adapt to play a high-line game. That's where he proved me wrong. If YOU thought he always could play a high-line game, then I congratulate you. I didn't. I was honest about that in praising him a few pages back, and the next thing people are trying to 'shame' me. Pathetic.

I would say that Dawson took the option of staying with all his mates, where he is club captain, settled in his house and family life, with a new exciting boss, with the best training facilities on the planet being unveiled... rather than joining a relegation scrap in a crap ground full of horrible fans.

I don't blame him one bit, I would never leave a "top 4 probable" club to join a "relegation probable" club, it is so, so hard to turn round your career after that. He is too old now to go to someone like QPR, play well, get bought by a "top 4 probable" club and fight his way back to the elite... much better idea to stay with the club where he is loved and work his way into the team.

He may have been told he was 5th choice, but as Caulker is still raw, Gallas is old, then after the injury to Kaboul... you can see it is much easier to fight into our first team than go down to QPR and then try to resurrect his career. Fair play to him for staying, it was definitely the right choice.

I would say that Dawson took the option of staying with all his mates, where he is club captain, settled in his house and family life, with a new exciting boss, with the best training facilities on the planet being unveiled... rather than joining a relegation scrap in a crap ground full of horrible fans.

I don't blame him one bit, I would never leave a "top 4 probable" club to join a "relegation probable" club, it is so, so hard to turn round your career after that. He is too old now to go to someone like QPR, play well, get bought by a "top 4 probable" club and fight his way back to the elite...much better idea to stay with the club where he is loved and work his way into the team.

He may have been told he was 5th choice, but as Caulker is still raw, Gallas is old, then after the injury to Kaboul... you can see it is much easier to fight into our first team than go down to QPR and then try to resurrect his career. Fair play to him for staying, it was definitely the right choice.

A good angle.

I don't see a difference..

Why would Spurs tell Dawson about a fee that they would not have agreed on?

They wouldn't.

Nobody has said AVB is infallible. On this thread people are more bigging up Dawson for having the character to improve and win his spot back.

The point is they were happy to sell. That being the case he did not figure in the plans of AVB. Compare that situation it to the Siguddsonn and Reading in January where we clearly didn't want him to move on. AVB was being hasty -that was his mistake imo.

Look, I know that it's really uncool and unhip (especially coming from me) to (once again) give the manager even a hint of praise, but would it not be obvious to you that Michael Dawson might have sat down with the manager and said he didn't want to take the deal, he wanted to stay and fight, discuss what might be needed to force his way, get given an honest answer, do what was discussed and hey-ho, find himself in the frame again?

Is that possible? or am I just aggravating you and a few others by suggesting that (ssssssshhhh - don't shout it out) that our (manager) might actually be pretty fudging special?

Steff, as I've said before I see you as Spurs through and through and I respect that. That said you do not have to launch into such an impassioned defence of AVB when anyone says something against him. I have not seen a single post from anyone on this thread attacking AVB?! But it's right to be critical for example dispensing with a great servant of the club rather to hastily who is now part of the sucess AVB is rightly credited for. He may well turn out to be very special but surely it is too early to say that imo.

Last edited:

Good grief. This thread is like going back in time to this time last season. I thought we'd got over the in-fighting.

Good grief. This thread is like going back in time to this time last season. I thought we'd got over the in-fighting.

TBF Steff is getting too defensive. Still it would be a less intersting board with out his slightly creepy man love for avb

He is.

(sigh) For the 100th fudging time Affy, his courage, character and fortitude has never surprised me in the past but to turn down a massive wage increase and regular, guaranteed week-in-week-out first-team football to stay and FIGHT for a SQUAD place showed levels of each that I doubt even you thought he had. Seriously. Are you going to sit there and tell me you were not in the least bit surprised he turned the move down? I really wish people would READ what's written and not TAKE from it only the bits they want to latch onto...again, and I said this before but you're not having it, I believe he has ADDED a dimension to his game and now being able to comfortably play a high-line.

I did NOT think he could adapt to play a high-line game. That's where he proved me wrong. If YOU thought he always could play a high-line game, then I congratulate you. I didn't. I was honest about that in praising him a few pages back, and the next thing people are trying to 'shame' me. Pathetic.

i can only talk about my line of discussion tbh.....fair enough you've cleared up the courage and character and fortitude thing. we can strike that off....it was about money and 1st team football. i didnt know that...i'll be looking back to see where i missed it

the high line thing..again it wasnt that i was arguing against was it. nope......but we will agree to disagree in that this added dimension could very well be something that he has always had but never had the opportunity to show. its like saying bale added to his game when he first went on the left flank

and the almight irony of people not reading stuff...which is clear that we are all guilty.....i never once said i thought he could play a high line....i've actually said that several time 'but you aint having it are ya';)

i can only talk about my line of discussion tbh.....fair enough you've cleared up the courage and character and fortitude thing. we can strike that off....it was about money and 1st team football. i didnt know that...i'll be looking back to see where i missed it

the high line thing..again it wasnt that i was arguing against was it. nope......but we will agree to disagree in that this added dimension could very well be something that he has always had but never had the opportunity to show. its like saying bale added to his game when he first went on the left flank

and the almight irony of people not reading stuff...which is clear that we are all guilty.....i never once said i thought he could play a high line....i've actually said that several time 'but you aint having it are ya';)

You have a fine point with the first bolded bit. He certainly had not had a chance to show whether he could or not before AVB, and to be fair, it's an excellent line of discussion as it brings into focus what previous managers perhaps DID NOT see in him. So fair play African, that's a really interesting point.

Second bolded bit? Yes, I noticed you said that...but TBH, at the very least I felt it would show how aggravating it is to write carefully-worded posts and have people skip over the detail of them.

Again, that first point in bold deserves a whole line of discussion itself. If it is the case, I'd say that this season proves that yes, he could always play it but as you speculated, never had the chance to show it. Now THIS is fruitful discussion! ;)

Dawson Out for the Season

Michael Dawson has been ruled out for the rest of the season following an injury suffered in training earlier today.

Back