• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

now this i can get behind. kaboul HAS improved but it took him a while to do it in this country.

i'm still worried about him though

i dont worry about verts..except his work ethic in a couple of games.....i dont worry about dawson and i dont worry about gallas (despite some of his unfortunate)

walker and kaboul? i worry about those two

Why is that out of curiosity? Kaboul has been by far our best and most consistent CB over the past 2 seasons (prior to injury of course)

Agreed - especially since AVB made it clear one needs to earn his place first

Funny how this wasn't an issue during the Lloris/Brad debacle

its weird but i dont even know what the two of you are talking about. yet it somehow stems from what i wrote

I still think Dawson got his place back once Lloris was installed as first choice GK. With a keeper who is very pro-active in sweeping behind the defence, pace is less required in a back line.
I notice that Dawson and Friedel have still to be selected by AVB in the same match...

Also I personally am not seeing much difference between Dawson's performances in the past and Dawson's this season. Its the usual dominance in the air, getting blocks in, staying tight to strikers and marshalling the back line...pretty much what he's been doing since he arrived. He has always been fine with the ball at his feet - was more than proven the year we got 4th and then the following year in the CL. No problems at all.

thats a very good post

Why is that out of curiosity? Kaboul has been by far our best and most consistent CB over the past 2 seasons (prior to injury of course)

kaboul has a history of ball watching and getting blind sided. also keeping the line i havent ever really been convinced is his strongest suit

i felt that kaboul did well for us last season because of who he was playing next to more than anything else

its like when people were talking of kaboul and verts...prior to me ever seeing verts in the premier league i would have been worried about that partnership. now at least verts has a bit of the old dawson about him.

i think kaboul would be fine next to either one of dawson or verts, but i would keep an eye out as him being the weak link......

that worry has been baseless in recent year cause he hasnt been bad at all. infact he has caried out his duties in the partnership well. i just keep travellling back in time to his first stint here

where is he anyway? still injured?

kaboul has a history of ball watching and getting blind sided. also keeping the line i havent ever really been convinced is his strongest suit

i felt that kaboul did well for us last season because of who he was playing next to more than anything else

its like when people were talking of kaboul and verts...prior to me ever seeing verts in the premier league i would have been worried about that partnership. now at least verts has a bit of the old dawson about him.

i think kaboul would be fine next to either one of dawson or verts, but i would keep an eye out as him being the weak link......

that worry has been baseless in recent year cause he hasnt been bad at all. infact he has caried out his duties in the partnership well. i just keep travellling back in time to his first stint here

where is he anyway? still injured?

That is fair enough he came back from Portsmouth a much better player, I think he had less pressure there and was in a weaker side where he really had to up his concentration levels.

As for this year still reports of him feeling some pain during training. I think it be in everyone's best interests to just shut him down for this season. We amazingly have 4 CB's in good to superb form no need to rush him back.

Dawson has improved massively this season. I myself had doubts about him, his ability to make better decisions on the ball and his ability to cope with the high line. I was perfectly fine to let him go during the summer.

He decided he wanted to stay, and he has put the required work in and become a player that is worth having in a top four team.

He has improved immensely, which now sees him as a first team player. When Kaboul comes back it will be interesting, but as it stands Dawson should be one of the first on the team sheet for the big games left this season.

Or a far simpler scenario.

Spurs tell Dawson that there's an offer to move to QPR and he can't be guaranteed first team football with us.

Dawson says thanks, but I'd rather stay here and fight for my place.

The most sensible scenario presented so far

actually i would say that its you thats missing the avenue you opened that i am against

i am not actually debating that point you just highlighted

Dawson THEN wasnt the player he was now. I do not agree
Dawson passing has improved under AVB. i dont agree either. but i will say that i canT know how his decision making under AVB has been affected. maybe he is more calm , patient , trustworthy in himself and his team mates.....maybe. but the idea that his passing has improved from a technical / execution stand point i dont agree with.

i do agree with the issue about him being able to fit in the style and system. i would have had my reservations about that as well....as aside from gallas and king, i didnt have faith any of the rest could play that system either.

i wouldnt have condoned selling him before i found out though, again because i remember the man and the player...from a BOX tv point of view. top defender..dont sell...dont forget. people too often do this and use small segments of a large picture to make final decisions. i cant understand that

I will simply say that I didn't mention AVB in this, you did. I actually gave Daws immense credit for digging deep and seeing what it would take to get back into the club. Passing improved? I said his ability to PLAY A HIGH LINE GAME had been greatly improved. As for your last sentence, well mate, I think it applies to far far greater topics on this board than whether a player I praised was not quite as good before as he is now.

Spurs tell Dawson that there's an offer to move to QPR and he can't be guaranteed first team football with us.

Thank you for the common sense. It's been hard to find for a few pages.

I will simply say that I didn't mention AVB in this, you did. I actually gave Daws immense credit for digging deep and seeing what it would take to get back into the club. Passing improved? I said his ability to PLAY A HIGH LINE GAME had been greatly improved. As for your last sentence, well mate, I think it applies to far far greater topics on this board than whether a player I praised was not quite as good before as he is now.

you didnt mention anything about his passing?......hmmm, i'm clearly going insane....i'll have to look back on that

how has his ability to play a high line improved? wouldnt that open up the door to "improved as compared to what exactly?" when did he frequently play a high line for us?

As this is the Dawson thread I'll use him as an example. For many years you could not say anything negative about him without risking a lynch mob at your door. I have always been critical of him and he still has the same flaws as he did back then. Ball watching, poor marking, hoofing. We all know this, though some refuse to acknowledge it or simply uses terms like 'heart' or 'passion' to dismiss anyone raising these points. He has improved though over the years and this season as well. Again it feels like you're not allowed to say that it's down to tactics or the other players around him. It's purely down to him. Gallas on the other hand gets nothing but grief, yet he was still part of the team when we stopped conceding late and started keeping clean sheets.

ball watching , poor marking and hoofing as things dawson does. anyway......

i dont see why its a lynch mob just because people disagree with you though. Just stay your course if you believe it to be true. i dont agree with the criticism you put on dawson but that doesnt mean i am right even though i think you're wrong

yeah , i'm calling on that one

What's amazing?

The way in which he decided to knuckle down and take on the challenge of new requirements from our CBs, including playing a higher line and learning to pass better? You are correct Sir! I agree! Daws is amazing, and I am so glad it has all worked out. Again, he showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined...

i knew i didnt imagine that. i think i latched on that as well as the whole miraculous and surprising improvement thing because i know you are one of those that buys into the myth of him being a bad passer.

'Stay the course'? Why? What a colossal waste of time! Just to win an argument'?
I get sucked into these things far too often. I need to grow up and back off.
Seriously.
This entire fudging thing came from a volley of PRAISE aimed at the man, which makes it all the more unbelievable.
The ONLY things that matter are that Daws is playing like a fudging genius right now and AVB brought him back in from the dead and rewarded his MASSIVE effort by giving him his armband back.
THAT'S all that's important.
The rest of this? Well it's gonad*s really isn't it...I'm going to try and grow up and back off!

'Stay the course'? Why? What a colossal waste of time! Just to win an argument'?
I get sucked into these things far too often. I need to grow up and back off.
Seriously.
This entire fudging thing came from a volley of PRAISE aimed at the man, which makes it all the more unbelievable.
The ONLY things that matter are that Daws is playing like a fudging genius right now and AVB brought him back in from the dead and rewarded his MASSIVE effort by giving him his armband back.
THAT'S all that's important.
The rest of this? Well it's gonad*s really isn't it...I'm going to try and grow up and back off!

this reaction cause i told someone else not to let what i feel he wrongly perceives as a lynch mob to sway him from what he thinks is correct?

but we can agree with one thing in that rant , dawson is playing great...... i'll leave it there

thsteff said that in choosing to stay and knuckle down Dawson 'showed more character, courage and fortitude than anyone could've imagined.'

Should we not have recognised and valued those characteristics in him from his many sterling performances for us over the years?

Sorry that's clearly not what happened. Spurs agreed a fee for dawson that must have been on the say so of AVB - in other words "it is ok to sell him." Look I'm not trying to bring negativity at a great time to be a spurs fan. But there are posters on this board who truly believe AVB is in fallible ( despite him saying he made a mistake) and then justify Dawson still being part of the squad as some improvement on his part. Like African I don't see it,in fact I see the same player I've always seen. I would also add that when I was defending Dawson in the Summer I suggested that he would be fine playing in a high line for the same reasons that african suggested. I'm just not as articulate at describing tactics as African is. I believe Spurs fans should show loyalty to some one like Dawson -bloody hell he has earned it imo.

Last edited:
Back