• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Sadly too late for that, or Howe/Potter.
Would need time to get his way of playing.

Southgate should have been binned after euros

I’m no diehard Southgate fan but to be fair the bloke got us to a World Cup semi and euro final. Our best placed position in 52 years in the former , and our best ever finish in the latter.

No way could they have sacked him then.

Argue all you want about whether he hindered us from going all the way or was the catalyst for us getting so far but the guy deserves another chance after that no matter what happens this winter

I’m no diehard Southgate fan but to be fair the bloke got us to a World Cup semi and euro final. Our best placed position in 52 years in the former , and our best ever finish in the latter.

Argue all you want about whether he hindered us from going all the way or was the catalyst for us getting so far but the guy deserves another chance after that no matter what happens this winter

Agree with this. Southgate is a cautious manager but you can’t argue with a semi final and a final loss on penalties. Nothing ever changes with England. It’s always the managers fault when they lose and the players when we win.

https://theathletic.com/3979656/2022/12/08/pochettino-kane-mbappe-world-cup/

A fantastic read, and really eye-opening - Poch takes us through Harry's growth over the course of his time with us. Well worth a read if you have access. But if you don't, here's the snippet that got me -

When I was at PSG, I knew Tottenham would never want to sell Harry. And I never wanted to do anything that would affect Tottenham, because I love Tottenham.”

EKU5HVFWkAEffkV.jpg

He's magic, you knoooow....:)

It's a job for someone of his level because no one of any real status at their peak would want the job so in that respect its a fair fit for both.

I would argue that we never really won a particularly hard game against a high profile team in either of the else runs and lost as soon as we did (Germany in the Euros on the wane as this WC aside)

Let's see how he does tomorrow against a real game France and judge from there IMHO

A fantastic read, and really eye-opening - Poch takes us through Harry's growth over the course of his time with us. Well worth a read if you have access. But if you don't, here's the snippet that got me -

When I was at PSG, I knew Tottenham would never want to sell Harry. And I never wanted to do anything that would affect Tottenham, because I love Tottenham.”

View attachment 14802

The fudging Athletic - have a subscription ( 1.99/month and read less than a handful for the time I've had it, really should cancel
..) shows as up-to-date in my account but when i try to access the article it tells me i need to subscribe :mad:

It's a job for someone of his level because no one of any real status at their peak would want the job so in that respect its a fair fit for both.

I would argue that we never really won a particularly hard game against a high profile team in either of the else runs and lost as soon as we did (Germany in the Euros on the wane as this WC aside)

Let's see how he does tomorrow against a real game France and judge from there IMHO

AAAAAND AGAIN

Nice guy, no cutting edge as a manager, three tournaments and three exits against first good side we face

View attachment 14802

I saw that and loved it too…

AAAAAND AGAIN

Nice guy, no cutting edge as a manager, three tournaments and three exits against first good side we face

The trouble is, when was the last time England beat a top side in a tournament knockout game under any manager? (Genuine question). Even if Germany weren't at their peak in 2020, I think that win was a better example than any other game I can think of in the last 30 years.*

And at least Southgate has got us consistently beating the teams that we should be beating on paper - I don't think we should be too quick to forget the likes of losing to Iceland in 2016, not getting out of our group in 2014, and not even qualifying in 2008.

Personally I think he should stay for the Euros in 18 months' time and, if we don't win that, change the manager at that point. But not before then.

*That Germany team still had Werner (on the back of a 28-goal season), Muller, Havertz, Kroos, Kimmich, Rudiger, Neuer.

Last edited:
The trouble is, when was the last time England beat a top side in a tournament knockout game under any manager? (Genuine question). Even if Germany weren't at their peak in 2020, I think that win was a better example than any other game I can think of in the last 30 years.*

And at least Southgate has got us consistently beating the teams that we should be beating on paper - I don't think we should be too quick to forget the likes of losing to Iceland in 2016, not getting out of our group in 2014, and not even qualifying in 2008.

Personally I think he should stay for the Euros in 18 months' time and, if we don't win that, change the manager at that point. But not before then.

*That Germany team still had Werner (on the back of a 28-goal season), Muller, Havertz, Kroos, Kimmich, Rudiger, Neuer.

The Gemrany side has many of them and more now and they went out in the group.

Is beating Iran, Wales and Senegal what you would say is a successful tournament? I would say that's poor to take that and say we did well

Is beating Iran, Wales and Senegal what you would say is a successful tournament? I would say that's poor to take that and say we did well

I don't know about successful, that is just as much about expectations as results.

From the outside, beating smaller teams, coming up against one of the best teams remaining in the tournament, being the better team, but losing out. About as good as can be expected and the end result more down to coincidences out of South gate's hands than anything else.

We were constantly told in the build up to the World Cup we was in the toughest group, with all teams in the world top 20. But once England quite easily negotiated the group, the narrative becomes ‘oh well it was only Iran’ etc Just sums up the life of an England manager, you can’t win.

Previous foreign ‘world class’ managers couldnt get us further than the quarter finals. The worst Southgate has done is get us to the quarter finals. Getting us to semi final, final and quarter finals of successive tournaments is more than meeting expectations, we have no divine right to be winning anything - we aren’t that good no matter how much people want to talk up our players. The consistency we have shown in tournaments under Gareth is something not many big teams have shown they can do, and is not to be sniffed at….

I think it’s more successful than most recent pre-Southgate tournaments, but obviously not as successful as it could be or as I’d like it to be.

We were constantly told in the build up to the World Cup we was in the toughest group, with all teams in the world top 20. But once England quite easily negotiated the group, the narrative becomes ‘oh well it was only Iran’ etc Just sums up the life of an England manager, you can’t win.

Previous foreign ‘world class’ managers couldnt get us further than the quarter finals. The worst Southgate has done is get us to the quarter finals. Getting us to semi final, final and quarter finals of successive tournaments is more than meeting expectations, we have no divine right to be winning anything - we aren’t that good no matter how much people want to talk up our players. The consistency we have shown in tournaments under Gareth is something not many big teams have shown they can do, and is not to be sniffed at….

International football isn't as strong as it was and we are also better. The Spains, Germany, Italy, Brazils etc ain't the same powers as before. Comparing us to say Sven losing a QF to maybe the best international side in a generation in Brazil and losing to an OK France at the weekend is creative at best in my opinion.

Facts are in the last two WCs we beat Tunisia, Colombia, Iran, Wales and Senegal and people call that progress or success, I wouldn't as my bar is higher.

As for our group being called the group of death, you would need to pull up those that actually called it that, I never once said that, on and off paper you would expect to get out

International football isn't as strong as it was and we are also better. The Spains, Germany, Italy, Brazils etc ain't the same powers as before. Comparing us to say Sven losing a QF to maybe the best international side in a generation in Brazil and losing to an OK France at the weekend is creative at best in my opinion.

Facts are in the last two WCs we beat Tunisia, Colombia, Iran, Wales and Senegal and people call that progress or success, I wouldn't as my bar is higher.

As for our group being called the group of death, you would need to pull up those that actually called it that, I never once said that, on and off paper you would expect to get out

Would you at least agree that Southgate’s done a better job than the last three managers, and no worse a job than any other manager in recent memory?

Would you at least agree that Southgate’s done a better job than the last three managers, and no worse a job than any other manager in recent memory?

Yeh I do and look I think he is a fair bloke and fair manager, but I just don't buy the progress as major success when you dive deeper into it.

I think there is a passive nature to Southgate though, games slip away and there is no desisive edge and as someone said before he hasn't even got that nasty "Conte edge" to his game. Its all abit Nice

Yeh I do and look I think he is a fair bloke and fair manager, but I just don't buy the progress as major success when you dive deeper into it.

I think there is a passive nature to Southgate though, games slip away and there is no desisive edge and as someone said before he hasn't even got that nasty "Conte edge" to his game. Its all abit Nice

I agree it’s not major success yet - for me it’s just nice to go three tournaments in a row without embarrassing ourselves, and with a group of players who actually seem to enjoy playing for England and for the manager. Fair enough if your bar is higher than that!

Poch/ win the euros with England / come back home to win all sorts of brick after that once Conte has got us some Cups and does his ting. If Carlsberg did storylines.
I would love that to happen of course!

Back