• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Did Poch ever bring in any new coaches in his time with us?
Just thinking that klopp had a new coach almost every season at pool and I don’t remember us changing one
good call

Poch and Klopp have vastly differing levels of management experience. Poch Just needs to get back in the saddle once we are back to normal.
He has much to learn from his time with us. Lots of good times and memories but he has lots to learn and help build on his time at Spurs.

Last edited:
Did Poch ever bring in any new coaches in his time with us?
Just thinking that klopp had a new coach almost every season at pool and I don’t remember us changing one

Brought this up ages ago. People eventually stop responding to the same voice no matter what the message is. Alongside his loyalty to players his loyalty to his coaching staff done Poch in. Even now he's still planning to keep the same people around him.

He should maybe have the same core team and the change a single coach, just too keep things fresh, have a different pair of eyes etc.

It'll make continuing to have buy in from players much easier. As stated look at how Ferguson done it, a masterclass in management.

bought this up ages ago. People eventually stop responding to the same voice no matter what the message is. Alongside his loyalty to players his loyalty to his coaching staff done Poch in. Even now he's still planning to keep the same people around him.

He should maybe have the same core team and the change a single coach, just too keep things fresh, have a different pair of eyes etc.

It'll make continuing to have buy in from players much easier. As stated look at how Ferguson done it, a masterclass in management.

I think that's a fair point. Not only does he keep the same people around him (which certainly has benefits in terms of everyone buying into the same 'philosophy' etc.) but they are such a part of his team that he negotiates terms on their behalf as part of his own terms. So he really does come as part of a package. I did love the closeness of Poch and his coaching staff but maybe a sign that he is becoming a more ruthless manager will be when we see him cutting the cord and bringing in fresh faces in his own staff.

Wasn't that to do with having to learn the system and get up to speed, but also waiting to see who was staying and going? He was featuring in games.
Staying and going?
It was after the window had closed
But he was certainly not playing for whatever reason, and it’s no different under Jose

Staying and going?
It was after the window had closed
But he was certainly not playing for whatever reason, and it’s no different under Jose

Eriksen.
Was he staying the whole season? Were we selling him in Jan? Would he go? I think that has to have been a massive factor too, as we were laboring with him. I believe that was the "brave" thing we should've done far earlier, once Poch realized her wouldn't sign a new deal for whatever reason, yet DL insisted on the very top dollar.
Personally, I would've kept him as long as possible too. I understand the logic. What I will always question is that if the manager wanted to deal him (a la Coutinho style) then we should have for less than DL was asking but still a fat pile of wonga.

Fair enough, mate. I'm not devaluing Klopp or Liverpool - they deserve their plaudits. But I just believe Poch will be better at the equivalent stage in his career than Klopp is - it's more belief in Poch than a lack of belief in Klopp, if that makes any sense.
Got it and yes that makes sense.
I’d like to see Poch with money to spend, pick up a a title in a less competitive league and add a couple of cups, then come back here with the extra experience and our bigger budget to take us to the promised land. I really wanted him to be our Fergie and although I think he was struggling at the end he still has an enormous amount of credit with me for both having to move away from a home ground he’d made into a fortress and for not making any transfers for a season. I’ve never been more interested in an ex mangers next move!

Eriksen.
Was he staying the whole season? Were we selling him in Jan? Would he go? I think that has to have been a massive factor too, as we were laboring with him. I believe that was the "brave" thing we should've done far earlier, once Poch realized her wouldn't sign a new deal for whatever reason, yet DL insisted on the very top dollar.
Personally, I would've kept him as long as possible too. I understand the logic. What I will always question is that if the manager wanted to deal him (a la Coutinho style) then we should have for less than DL was asking but still a fat pile of wonga.
Sorry I thought you were talking about NDombele

Eriksen.

Literally in his last season at the club, several journalists reported Spurs were asking for £100m last summer, for Eriksen who would be available for free a year later?

I know we're not allowed to criticise Levy in this world, but his last contract extension was 2016, and by 2018 he didn't agree a new deal so it was clear we should have either sold, or offered terms he would agree to for a player consumerate of his ability.

We ended up losing Eriksen for £17m, and more importantly it destabilised the squad, needing us to rely on a player who was obviously leaving. We started this season with Eriksen, Jan, Toby all on last year of their contracts but no other signifcant replacements for them at beginning of the season, if that's not poor management or failure, i'm not sure what is?

Sorry I thought you were talking about NDombele

I was.
And my point was that the player was trying to find his way into a team which was destabilized by the "will he won't he" status of the midfielder who ran the, errr, team for several seasons. How can a new player who has equal talent but in a different way be expected to immediately slide in and have it work?

Literally in his last season at the club, several journalists reported Spurs were asking for £100m last summer, for Eriksen who would be available for free a year later?

I know we're not allowed to criticise Levy in this world, but his last contract extension was 2016, and by 2018 he didn't agree a new deal so it was clear we should have either sold, or offered terms he would agree to for a player consumerate of his ability.

We ended up losing Eriksen for £17m, and more importantly it destabilised the squad, needing us to rely on a player who was obviously leaving. We started this season with Eriksen, Jan, Toby all on last year of their contracts but no other signifcant replacements for them at beginning of the season, if that's not poor management or failure, i'm not sure what is?

Agreed. And I believe this is down to not having a DoF ala Mitchell for a while plus Dl looking for every last quid he could wring out rather than accepting a little lower yet still very decent figure.

I’m no Levy apologist but the Eriksen deal was the most unLevy like thing he has done. My feeling is that he would loved to have sold him and bought in a cheaper, younger replacement but with the stadium build going on he couldn’t offer Poch the full or many any of the proceeds to replace him, so given the esteem Levy held Poch in for his achievements up until that time Levy allowed him to run his contract down to not weaken the team. So on the pitch trumped the bottom line on this one. This was possibly extended to a Alderweireld albeit with a smaller hit on the possible fee and first team disruption.
It’s not the losing of the potential 100m that bothers me, it was the loss of form once his future became uncertain. Hindsight is wonderful and I doubt Poch or Levy would support a similar situation in future but there were warning signs the last time Eriksen was nearing the end of his contract and his form dropped again. If we’d sold him and bought a 30m replacement Levy would be being chastised for prioritising the £.
When (if!) things stabilise I’m sure we’ll revert to a more aggressive retention policy or sale of the players with high resale value, as we’ve seen at other clubs anything less than 2 years left the players in a very strong position. The exception will be when a player cannot be sold for less than their ‘book’ value, i.e if a player is bought for 10m on a 5 year contract, if we don’t get offered 2m I the final year their sale would be a loss, yet letting their contract expire wouldn’t be. Our biggest challenge seems to be offloading players though, it must be really frustrating and challenging for clubs aren’t doped that the threat of being dropped isn’t enough for some players to take a move.

Reactions: DTA
I’m no Levy apologist but the Eriksen deal was the most unLevy like thing he has done.

You're not wrong here, but as @thfcsteff pointed out, this is a failure on Levy's part probably due to his lack of structure within the club. He's managing a stadium rebuild (and from all accounts was VERY hands on - i've got friends who worked on the stadium that have said the same). He's also managing a club in transition and responsible for contracts and purchases.

We bought no one, we let 3 first teamers fall into their last season at the club - that is wilful neglect and un-Levy like like you mention, but it happened and the buck stops at his door as all roads lead to Levy.

Find me another team in the whole of Europe who had 3 first teamers falling into final year of their contract, with no adequate replacements? Look at all the flak Woodward or Kronke gets, but for some reason Levy is beyond reproach for doing the same or worse?

Anyway, it's done now. Given this is the most 'successful' we've been in over 30 years of football, my little boy will be into his 20's before he sees anything close.

I was.
And my point was that the player was trying to find his way into a team which was destabilized by the "will he won't he" status of the midfielder who ran the, errr, team for several seasons. How can a new player who has equal talent but in a different way be expected to immediately slide in and have it work?
Eriksen has even replaced with Lo celso
I’d say that the issue was he was injured at the start of the season hence why we played Eriksen who wasn’t really motivated
Strangely the issue with Eriksen was that he wanted certain clubs and that was clear... those clubs didn’t want him. You can’t make a club buy him TBF
So it ended up with only one club wanting him and he went there in the end.
Not sure how that ties in exactly with Tanguy and his lack of effort

Back