• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I certainly agree the direction of travel was always there. I just contest the "not drastically" element of your post, for me the change is indeed drastic.

Though as I was originally trying to say, we arent that same team that took a gamble on Pochettino, now we are among the big boys.

We could get a Klopp, a Conte, Ancelotti etc. Or we could take our pick from the emerging talent.

We will be a massive attraction to any decent and ambitious manager.
It would be interesting to see what direction we go in. A more established proven trophy winner like an Ancelotti or another relatively unproven talent like Poch....

It would be interesting to see what direction we go in. A more established proven trophy winner like an Ancelotti or another relatively unproven talent like Poch....

I think Levys primary interest will be someone who can work in a similar way to Poch.

IE, Buy in talented players and develop them, make use of the Academy etc.

Its a business model that we have stuck to consistently.

Whether that person ends up being an established guy or an up and comer I think is irrelevant - so long as they fit that mould.

I certainly agree the direction of travel was always there. I just contest the "not drastically" element of your post, for me the change is indeed drastic.

Though as I was originally trying to say, we arent that same team that took a gamble on Pochettino, now we are among the big boys.

We could get a Klopp, a Conte, Ancelotti etc. Or we could take our pick from the emerging talent.

We will be a massive attraction to any decent and ambitious manager.

For some reason I was listening to talksport this morning and he was on.

He was defending the claims from Neville that before Mopo we were flakey and any little bump would see us lose a game from a winning position or completely fold.

Neville was right of course, but it was interesting to hear him list of the achievements 4th 4th 5th without realising at least one of those included what Neville was talking about.

Pochettino was asked whether the situation had influenced his mid-season transfer plans. Would he bring in any new signings next month?

The Spurs manager responded by shaking his head very deliberately before reaching into his tracksuit trouser pocket, turning it inside out and showing it was empty. To general amusement, he looked at his press officer. “He [the journalist] asks me if I am going to spend money,” Pochettino said. “I don’t have money!”

Pochettino was then asked whether the club had any money. Once again, he turned his pocket inside out to indicate it was empty.

The 46-year-old has expressed his frustration on a number of occasions about the restrictions to his budget – owing to the stadium – and he knows that austerity will remain the order of the day for some time. It was also interesting to hear him reference the long austerity years that Arsenal endured when they moved from Highbury to Emirates Stadium.

“One thing you need to understand is that Tottenham built a new training ground and built what is going to be one of the best stadiums in the world with our own resources,” Pochettino said. “It’s not like people came from I don’t know where and said: ’What is the cost of the new stadium and new facilities? Here’s £100m, £200m, £500m. And what does the manager want? Five players? OK, we’re going to invest £200m, £300m more!’

“We’re doing all these fantastic things with our own resources. It’s important to make that clear when we compare with another team. To be competitive like we are, it’s tough. It was tough for Arsenal, remember, in a different Premier League and a different period in England.”

Tottenham know that they face a fight to keep Pochettino in the summer but they will do everything in their power to do so. One factor in their favour is the lack of a buy-out clause in the five-year contract that he signed last May. Unusually, Pochettino does not have an agent and he negotiated the deal directly with the chairman, Daniel Levy.

Pochettino could come to regret the lack of a buyout clause because Levy, in theory, could demand a transfer fee for him, over and above the value of the remaining years on his contract. Pochettino earns £8.5m-a-year.

ManU should accept the reality that they are a fallen football dynasty. And everytime a football dynasty falls, they always take a long time like 20-30 years to recover. Just ask Liverpool ! Remember, ManU, despite claiming to be the world's richest and most supported club, took 25 years to win back the league title last time. They are wasting everyone's time and energy for trying to change the history this time !

In the past 3 seasons I believe they have won an FA Cup and a EUROPA Cup and finished second, how I wish Spurs would only fall that far

Pochettino was asked whether the situation had influenced his mid-season transfer plans. Would he bring in any new signings next month?

The Spurs manager responded by shaking his head very deliberately before reaching into his tracksuit trouser pocket, turning it inside out and showing it was empty. To general amusement, he looked at his press officer. “He [the journalist] asks me if I am going to spend money,” Pochettino said. “I don’t have money!”

Pochettino was then asked whether the club had any money. Once again, he turned his pocket inside out to indicate it was empty.

The 46-year-old has expressed his frustration on a number of occasions about the restrictions to his budget – owing to the stadium – and he knows that austerity will remain the order of the day for some time. It was also interesting to hear him reference the long austerity years that Arsenal endured when they moved from Highbury to Emirates Stadium.

“One thing you need to understand is that Tottenham built a new training ground and built what is going to be one of the best stadiums in the world with our own resources,” Pochettino said. “It’s not like people came from I don’t know where and said: ’What is the cost of the new stadium and new facilities? Here’s £100m, £200m, £500m. And what does the manager want? Five players? OK, we’re going to invest £200m, £300m more!’

“We’re doing all these fantastic things with our own resources. It’s important to make that clear when we compare with another team. To be competitive like we are, it’s tough. It was tough for Arsenal, remember, in a different Premier League and a different period in England.”

Tottenham know that they face a fight to keep Pochettino in the summer but they will do everything in their power to do so. One factor in their favour is the lack of a buy-out clause in the five-year contract that he signed last May. Unusually, Pochettino does not have an agent and he negotiated the deal directly with the chairman, Daniel Levy.

Pochettino could come to regret the lack of a buyout clause because Levy, in theory, could demand a transfer fee for him, over and above the value of the remaining years on his contract. Pochettino earns £8.5m-a-year.

So you mean there is a possibility of us not signing anybody next month because of lack of funds? Funny that considering a number of you said the reason we did not sign anybody in the summer was because Poch did not want anybody, funny that.

So you mean there is a possibility of us not signing anybody next month because of lack of funds? Funny that considering a number of you said the reason we did not sign anybody in the summer was because Poch did not want anybody, funny that.

tenor.gif

Howe is not ready for us yet.

I think Howe is hugely overrated, though he does play good football.
A) he has had a bucketload to spend to get Bournemouth where they are, and does anyone remember the big signing flops such as Afobe?
B) he can't organise a defence to save his life (cue them now keeping a clean sheet on Boxing Day..:eek:)

Who said that Poch didn’t want anybody? Can you quote that person so they can explain? Or is it a straw man argument?

Poch himself has said that he didn’t want the club to buy just anyone, it had to be the right player.

LOL - I think Poch is trolling the press. And I think the whole 'we need to give him a transfer budget' is so wide of the mark.

We did to sign the right players, and we need to do what he wants with regards to moving players in and out. I don't think a near unlimited budget chives well with him as a person, because his success is based on something a little more intangible. A leadership quality that isn't based on a Mourinho style desire to keep replacing.

I also think this other article from the Guardian gets it so wrong that they are mis-representing Poch's quotes even right within it: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...comment-manchester-united-manager-speculation

If anything, it gives me more confidence that he isn't going anywhere. Because they clearly don't have a clue. They don't understand the man.

I don't agree with the idea that United interest strengthens his hand in the transfer window, he is either on board with the grand plan or he isn't, if he suddenly starts demanding a big spend (which I don't think for a second he will) then he's the wrong guy anyway.

Exactly, it's just an idea which doesn't chime with who he is. Our success with him has never been about the most expensive players, it's been about making the right moves at the right time. He's more likely to keep Toby out of the team when fit for half a season to make a point about team unity than he is to demand we sign a player for £50M.

Exactly, it's just an idea which doesn't chime with who he is. Our success with him has never been about the most expensive players, it's been about making the right moves at the right time. He's more likely to keep Toby out of the team when fit for half a season to make a point about team unity than he is to demand we sign a player for £50M.
Agreed

It’s almost as if Poch didn’t know what he was signing up to with his long term deal

Or we weren’t being brave by offering players like Kane and Alli double your money salary increases

Back