• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

The manager has no choice but to come out and speak to cameras, its contractual.

Most of the time its just empty talk. Get through the process and go back to doing real work.

IMO, thats is the vast majority.

Other times managers use it as a tool to put pressure somewhere.

Either their own players, board, fans, referees... Because public statements get reported and seen.

This? If I had to give it more mind than simply ignoring it, Id say it was done to unsettle the players a bit. As @BrainOfLevy stated a few times, its a tactic he has used before. He wants the players a little unsettled, doesnt want them too comfortable or complacent.

And thats about it, IF I was forced to give it any weight.

Look at Poch, when has he EVER used interviews in this manner?

Not sure he's said anything much there at all. For sure he works on every project like he'll be there for a lifetime but he still left Saints after one season. As for his three year contract, what would be the point of Levy holding him to it if he decided he wanted out? A club like PSG - currently without a manager be it noted - would be happy to pay any premium Levy were to impose should they decide he's the man they want.

Poch is always very careful not make misleading statements, it is a very laudable matter of principle with him, but by the same token neither is he going to show his hand. When all the speculation broke towards the end of last season about the possibilities of Walker leaving he declined to give an answer one way or another, saying that "we will only sell the players we want to sell" or words to that effect.

Today he spent noticeably more time than usual time in today's presser over choosing his words about his future with Tottenham. Some may feel that what he said was reassuring enough but what he conspicuously did not do is make the same sort of unequivocal statement that he made early last summer when in response to a barrage of question he stated quite categorically that he would still be Tottenham manager come the start of the new season.

It just feels that this time round he has been careful to leave a crack in the door, that is all.

Not sure he's said anything much there at all. For sure he works on every project like he'll be there for a lifetime but he still left Saints after one season. As for his three year contract, what would be the point of Levy holding him to it if he decided he wanted out? A club like PSG - currently without a manager be it noted - would be happy to pay any premium Levy were to impose should they decide he's the man they want.

Poch is always very careful not make misleading statements, it is a very laudable matter of principle with him, but by the same token neither is he going to show his hand. When all the speculation broke towards the end of last season about the possibilities of Walker leaving he declined to give an answer one way or another, saying that "we will only sell the players we want to sell" or words to that effect.

Today he spent noticeably more time than usual time in today's presser over choosing his words about his future with Tottenham. Some may feel that what he said was reassuring enough but what he conspicuously did not do is make the same sort of unequivocal statement that he made early last summer when in response to a barrage of question he stated quite categorically that he would still be Tottenham manager come the start of the new season.

It just feels that this time round he has been careful to leave a crack in the door, that is all.

I haven't seen the full presser yet. I think it helps to hear what is said in its full context.

The situation at Spurs is very different to Southampton. There were changes at Southampton that he disagreed with. The fact that he talks positively about the direction our club is going in makes it clear that he is in a very different place with us.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the full presser yet. I think it helps to hear what is said in its full context.

The situation at Spurs is very different to Southampton. There were changes at Southampton that he disagreed with. The fact that he talks positively about the direction our club is going in makes it clear that he is in a very different place with us.
I saw it on Sky, there isn’t really context to add it to. What he does say consistently is that we need time, which he wouldn’t of kept saying if he was thinking of going anywhere....

He's here until the end of his contract, then the decision is Levy's.. That's as clear as he can make it. What else is he supposed to say?

What he meant with his original comment was that when the time comes and he does leave (yes unfortunately it will happen) as a club we continue in the same way.

Typical media and impressionable fans trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

The man has nothing but my respect and admiration.

He's here until the end of his contract, then the decision is Levy's.. That's as clear as he can make it. What else is he supposed to say?

What he meant with his original comment was that when the time comes and he does leave (yes unfortunately it will happen) as a club we continue in the same way.

Typical media and impressionable fans trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

The man has nothing but my respect and admiration.

He could have explicitly said that his message wasn't that he wanted to leave the club soon, which is what the media have been saying his message implied.

I think there's virtually no chance Poch goes this summer, but if we don't make progress next season I think he might well leave then. And by progress I don't necessarily mean winning a trophy - say we finished 2nd in the league, got to the FA Cup final and the Champions League semi-final, that would definitely represent the kind of progress I mean.

I hope I'm wrong though and Poch feels committed for another couple of years at least, even if we're struggling immediately to make further progress given the teams we're up against.

On the plus side we are now approaching a point where we're financially not miles from Chelsea / Liverpool / Arsenal,* so even if/when Poch leaves I don't think that means we'll fall apart as a club - we'll have the money and status to attract top managers and players to rebuild.

*https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...eague-highest-earners-world-manchester-united

If we don't have to endure a further 10 years of break even spending in the transfer market like Arsenal did post Emirates build then a manager who excells under those circumstances isn't as important to us as it has been these past few years and the money in the English game should mean we can attract top tier managers should Pochettino move - obviously the hope is he can push us on himself to the next level with the additional revenue, as he has done a great job so far despite the constraints.

If we do have to wait a while before we can see the benefits of the additional revenue then losing Pochettino will become more likely and also much more of a blow

If we don't have to endure a further 10 years of break even spending in the transfer market like Arsenal did post Emirates build then a manager who excells under those circumstances isn't as important to us as it has been these past few years and the money in the English game should mean we can attract top tier managers should Pochettino move - obviously the hope is he can push us on himself to the next level with the additional revenue, as he has done a great job so far despite the constraints.

If we do have to wait a while before we can see the benefits of the additional revenue then losing Pochettino will become more likely and also much more of a blow
Agreed,All very true. But Poch is still key because continuity/stability is our main advantage over our rivals. Also if Poch goes how confident can we be of him recruiting the right manager as his replacement? Levy doesn’t have a great track record in that respect, although I guess if we can attract the real top managers maybe that makes it a little easier...

Agreed,All very true. But Poch is still key because continuity/stability is our main advantage over our rivals. Also if Poch goes how confident can we be of him recruiting the right manager as his replacement? Levy doesn’t have a great track record in that respect, although I guess if we can attract the real top managers maybe that makes it a little easier...

Levy has a patchy record but only because appointing a succesful manager isn't an easy task... i think what is good with him is he doesn't mess about if things aren't working and will quickly move on to the next, afterall we've generally been on an upward trajectory this past decade despite the turnover in managers. The revenue we will have once in the new stadium means we'll never fall too far with a misguided appointment.

Agree regarding Poch being key and certainly hope he is here long term.

I'm concerned about Poch's record in the transfer Market, Llorente, Jaansen N'Koudo Njie, Sissoko, Aurier and Tripper have not been great successes to say the least. I don't have a great memory, so there may be others that have been successful , but to my mind Wanyama and Sanchez are the only two stand out buys, whilst Moura looks like he could be good footballer. Give his less than stellar record in the transfer market, would you be handing him 100 million in the summer if you were Daniel Levy? I love the guy, but I am not oblivious to his faults, his main one for me, being the lack of quality with his purchases. Thoughts, opinions?

I'm concerned about Poch's record in the transfer Market, Llorente, Jaansen N'Koudo Njie, Sissoko, Aurier and Tripper have not been great successes to say the least. I don't have a great memory, so there may be others that have been successful , but to my mind Wanyama and Sanchez are the only two stand out buys, whilst Moura looks like he could be good footballer. Give his less than stellar record in the transfer market, would you be handing him 100 million in the summer if you were Daniel Levy? I love the guy, but I am not oblivious to his faults, his main one for me, being the lack of quality with his purchases. Thoughts, opinions?

Buying where we do in the lower end of the market it is more erratic quality wise

Dier, Dele, Toby, Davies, Son(?). Plenty of quality there. And Trippier, whilst he’s no Kyle Walker, I’d still have as a success.
I do trust him but thus far, more often than not, he’s had to look at uncovering a gem or buying based on potential to improve.
I’m sure he could be successful buying players already at a higher level, but that’s not going to happen until we are able to have more flexibility with the wage structure.

Dier, Dele, Toby, Davies, Son(?). Plenty of quality there. And Trippier, whilst he’s no Kyle Walker, I’d still have as a success.
I do trust him but thus far, more often than not, he’s had to look at uncovering a gem or buying based on potential to improve.
I’m sure he could be successful buying players already at a higher level, but that’s not going to happen until we are able to have more flexibility with the wage structure.

Fair point, see I'd forgotten about those, although Dier was apparently on the radar long before Poch was here. I may be mistaken but wasn't Dele a Pleat recommendation to Levy?

Fair point, see I'd forgotten about those, although Dier was apparently on the radar long before Poch was here. I may be mistaken but wasn't Dele a Pleat recommendation to Levy?

Not sure about Dier tbh. Pleat had indeed been keeping an eye on Dele and made recommendations (which I guess is what scouts are used for). But it was Poch who went to watch him and ultimately it would be his decision whether he wanted us to try to buy him.

I doubt that Poch had much involvement in identifying a lot of the flops too. It goes both ways.

Back