• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It's a measure, however, of what the potential is. The original post was comparing AVB's and Poch's first 14 games. My point was when looking at each coach's first 14 games, which ones inspired more confidence for the future and indicated a team with greater potential. I'm assuming you don't disagree with that?
It's not a measure of anything other than your confidence. I don't know what your confidence is and isn't based on but I do know it's a million things on top of the team's likelihood to achieve success.

fair enough, its your opinion, one shared by many i'm sure, but it's not a measurement of anything and no element of football success is defined by it
As a paying customer at WHL (and many away grounds) My measurement of success is how much I enjoy attending the games. I am a very satisfied customer at the moment. Under AVB I was close to being a former customer.

Had we looked like winning the league then I guess I would've still been a satisfied customer irrespective of the mind numbingly boring football - but losing 3-0 at home to West Ham and getting thrashed 5-0 at home to Liverpool while playing a high defensive line with Michael Dawson and Ettiene Capoue as your centre halves indicates that a title win wasn't looking particularly likely.

As a paying customer at WHL (and many away grounds) My measurement of success is how much I enjoy attending the games. I am a very satisfied customer at the moment. Under AVB I was close to being a former customer.

Had we looked like winning the league then I guess I would've still been a satisfied customer irrespective of the mind numbingly boring football - but losing 3-0 at home to West Ham and getting thrashed 5-0 at home to Liverpool while playing a high defensive line with Michael Dawson and Ettiene Capoue as your centre halves indicates that a title win wasn't looking particularly likely.

ok, again, fair enough, thats still a subjective measurement thats relevant only to you though

football success is measured by numbers, points in a league table, games in a cup competition, numbers which obviously can be compared and contrasted to other numbers, but it's objective data all the same

ok, again, fair enough, thats still a subjective measurement thats relevant only to you though

football success is measured by numbers, points in a league table, games in a cup competition, numbers which obviously can be compared and contrasted to other numbers, but it's objective data all the same
Indeed.... So while the objective data is broadly similar (and I think a little better under Poch so far?) let's use the subjective measurement to differentiate.

Now if you can tell me you enjoyed watching us in AVBs second season I can refer you to a good clinic re: your masochism.

It's not a measure of anything other than your confidence. I don't know what your confidence is and isn't based on but I do know it's a million things on top of the team's likelihood to achieve success.
The confidence in the team's likelihood to achieve success doesn't come by itself in a vacuum. Nor did I, or anyone else who feels good about this team, base my confidence on how I happened to wake up one day. It's based on both results, as well as how the team is playing. If I'm not mistaken, you yourself has said several times that stats don't tell the whole story. By the same token, I feel confident not just because of the team's points, but because of the fact that it is more fluid, more solid defensively, more cohesive as a unit, without big egos or players that can poison the team chemistry, and with a coach that is great in elevating the players' game. Can we reduce all these to mere numbers? We probably can, but it would make for a long and boring post. So I'd rather say I feel confident that our potential under Poch is greater than what it was under AVB. :)

Indeed.... So while the objective data is broadly similar (and I think a little better under Poch so far?) let's use the subjective measurement to differentiate.

Now if you can tell me you enjoyed watching us in AVBs second season I can refer you to a good clinic re: your masochism.

I'm not comfortable mixing objective and subjective to draw conclusions, as soon as you bring in a level of opinion then it's all just an opinion

I can't say I did, but whether or not I enjoyed it isn't relevant

You could also say that when we get it right we expend far more energy and risk more injuries than required to win the match.

Possibly, but all the top sides get on the front foot and go for goals against lesser sides. Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Emirates Marketing Project/Chelsea (last season) all get plenty of big wins and lots of goals. We want to be doing the same imo.

now usually I am not the sort of person to start quoting Disney songs but seriously.....

someone on this thread needs to......

'Let it go! LET IT GOOOOOO!!! BE AT ONE WITH POCH AND HIS TEEEEEEEAM!!!'

'LET IT GO LET IT GOOOOOOO!!! POCH DOESNT MAKE MISTAKES WOOOOOOO'

'The trip to Azerbaijan nether bothered the players anyway'

tumblr_inline_nto4f0EhRz1qgb4vb_500.gif

now usually I am not the sort of person to start quoting Disney songs but seriously.....

someone on this thread needs to......

'Let it go! LET IT GOOOOOO!!! BE AT ONE WITH POCH AND HIS TEEEEEEEAM!!!'

'LET IT GO LET IT GOOOOOOO!!! POCH DOESNT MAKE MISTAKES WOOOOOOO'

'The trip to Azerbaijan nether bothered the players anyway'
I warned you not to get married. It's a whole new world.

The confidence in the team's likelihood to achieve success doesn't come by itself in a vacuum. Nor did I, or anyone else who feels good about this team, base my confidence on how I happened to wake up one day. It's based on both results, as well as how the team is playing. If I'm not mistaken, you yourself has said several times that stats don't tell the whole story. By the same token, I feel confident not just because of the team's points, but because of the fact that it is more fluid, more solid defensively, more cohesive as a unit, without big egos or players that can poison the team chemistry, and with a coach that is great in elevating the players' game. Can we reduce all these to mere numbers? We probably can, but it would make for a long and boring post. So I'd rather say I feel confident that our potential under Poch is greater than what it was under AVB. :)

AVB's style or at least the the style he had us playing in his 2nd season had no long term future. Even the games we did win were decided by fortuitous penalties, we created about as many chances per game as the current Man United team do.

You could make a case that we arugably should have won every game this season bar the first game against United.

Poch's style is far more suited to the Premier League i.e. fast paced, high pressing and attacking.

Goal difference is obviously less important than points.

The confidence of a fan who doesn't particularly like the manager is neither here nor there.

Yes, but were we not comparing Poch and AVB's first 14 games and agreed that the points total was fairly similar? Of two teams on the same points, I'd rather be the team with the better goal difference with a slightly higher chance of injury (which is a debatable point) every day of the week.

Wait.... what.... are some people on here trying to compare AVB to pouch? Forget that his football was so bad that the majority of us, who actually enjoy watching football rather than solely collections of stats were ready to switch off and walk away.... and thats when we were winning.....Avb?? Really?

Forget about the fact that eventually he and his tossing system fell flat on his stupid face and even though he kept playing the worst football in the world ever.... we were getting beat by the likes of fat sams west ham 3 f.ucking nil at w@nking home.

Forget the fact that this c.unt straight after his gagging order was over almost to the day tried to rip in to us in the press. Forget that.... take no responsibility bitch.

Lets just talk about his second seasons points total.... which was bettered in the same season with the same team by the mighty Tim Sherwood.

Wait.... what.... are some people on here trying to compare AVB to pouch? Forget that his football was so bad that the majority of us, who actually enjoy watching football rather than solely collections of stats were ready to switch off and walk away.... and thats when we were winning.....Avb?? Really?

Forget about the fact that eventually he and his tossing system fell flat on his stupid face and even though he kept playing the worst football in the world ever.... we were getting beat by the likes of fat sams west ham 3 f.ucking nil at w@nking home.

Forget the fact that this c.unt straight after his gagging order was over almost to the day tried to rip in to us in the press. Forget that.... take no responsibility bitch.

Lets just talk about his second seasons points total.... which was bettered in the same season with the same team by the mighty Tim Sherwood.
Sorry Tim (or maybe Tim's mum). Doesn't matter what you say, you're not a better manager than AVB.

Yes, but were we not comparing Poch and AVB's first 14 games and agreed that the points total was fairly similar? Of two teams on the same points, I'd rather be the team with the better goal difference with a slightly higher chance of injury (which is a debatable point) every day of the week.
It's a marginal call either way. Fact is, those that were trying to put down AVB's points total would also have to put down Poch's as well.

Personally, I think both have done very well and would rather congratulate both than try and shoehorn criticism around a manager I don't understand.

Back