• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

and he deserves a massive amount of appreciation for that fact as AVB finished that season with THFC's highest ever points total

I think he mentioned AVB's second season: a far less illustrious affair. :p However, I will point out that, hammerings and 6-0 humiliations aside, we were actually pootering along fairly consistently in the league, even in that year.

and he deserves a massive amount of appreciation for that fact as AVB finished that season with THFC's highest ever points total

Ah that old chestnut.

Poch is the best manager we have had in terms of tactics in the PL era. Obviously he needs to deliver long term in re league finishes and trophies, but I think he has the balance almost just right, we create plenty of chances we just need to put some more of them away, but we also look strong defensively. AVB had absolutely no clue what to do with us going forward besides telling everyone to give the ball to Bale. Even though we kept clean sheets, I still felt on edge with that high line, we look more solid at the back with Poch than under AVB or Sherwood.

I would like to see Poch rest Kane, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen for Monaco at home. I am particularly worried about Kane and the number of games he plays. I didn't want any of the first teamers to even fly to Qarabag, but I understand the arguement for wanting to win the game and qualify. Well, we've qualified now, dead rubber games are what you have squads for.

Ah that old chestnut.

Poch is the best manager we have had in terms of tactics in the PL era. Obviously he needs to deliver long term in re league finishes and trophies, but I think he has the balance almost just right, we create plenty of chances we just need to put some more of them away, but we also look strong defensively. AVB had absolutely no clue what to do with us going forward besides telling everyone to give the ball to Bale. Even though we kept clean sheets, I still felt on edge with that high line, we look more solid at the back with Poch than under AVB or Sherwood.

I think Galeforce was just pointing out that being on target to replicate our best ever Premier League points total was a good thing - though he got muddled up with AVBs first and second seadson which kinda makes his point refundant

I think Galeforce was just pointing out that being on target to replicate our best ever Premier League points total was a good thing - though he got muddled up with AVBs first and second seadson which kinda makes his point refundant

Of course, provided the league finish is 4th-6th then I agree.

The reason we are in with a chance in the league is how all the other top 6 teams have completely fallen away. Poch is just 1 point better off than AVB after 14 games in his second season.

I wouldn't disagree at all.
What I would say is that no-one expected us to be in with a whisper let alone a shout. I saw what Poch was doing last season in changing the long-term endemic culture in the club. I have said all season I'd be happy to see progress more than anything else. Now, thanks to the accelerated progress we have enjoyed this season, I'll admit my expectations have naturally shifted. But if it all goes tits up, what I will rest easy with is the fact that IMO the man is succeeding in changing the culture at our club. Long-term, I believe we will be formidable...

I wouldn't disagree at all.
What I would say is that no-one expected us to be in with a whisper let alone a shout. I saw what Poch was doing last season in changing the long-term endemic culture in the club. I have said all season I'd be happy to see progress more than anything else. Now, thanks to the accelerated progress we have enjoyed this season, I'll admit my expectations have naturally shifted. But if it all goes tits up, what I will rest easy with is the fact that IMO the man is succeeding in changing the culture at our club. Long-term, I believe we will be formidable...

Spot on!
I think I wrote that in my head earlier today - you stole it.

I would like to see Poch rest Kane, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen for Monaco at home. I am particularly worried about Kane and the number of games he plays. I didn't want any of the first teamers to even fly to Qarabag, but I understand the arguement for wanting to win the game and qualify. Well, we've qualified now, dead rubber games are what you have squads for.

And Dier

Spot on!
I think I wrote that in my head earlier today - you stole it.

What he did last season was actually brilliant. His outing of Kaboul and co was masterful, clever and honest! He let the ones who didn't wanna buy in hang themselves in front of everyone else who did. Fancy that! A manager who doesn't play favorites and operates on a true meritocracy based on his philosophy.

The reason we are in with a chance in the league is how all the other top 6 teams have completely fallen away. Poch is just 1 point better off than AVB after 14 games in his second season.
Yes, but did AVB's side play better football or put in the kind of performances that made us feel confident about upcoming fixtures? With this side I feel we can win our remaining 5 games in December and be sitting on 40 points. Couldn't say that about AVB's side.

I think it will be a lowish points total that wins the league this season, not because the top sides are suddenly crap, but because the league is stronger further down the table now, due to the money that even mid-table clubs are able to spend.

For me, we are a much better team now than we were under AVB/Sherwood. Poch strikes a better balance between defence and attack, and between recycling possession and being more purposeful with passing. We seem better organised and fitter, with a good balance of players in the first XI. This is the most confidence I have ever had in a Spurs team, even more so than Harry's best side. IMO, we are very close to being really phucking good.

Also, just to add re. the comparison with AVB's second season: yes, we are only 1 point better off after 14 games. But, in the first 14 games there, we had suffered 4 defeats ( 1-0 Arsenal away, 0-3 West Ham home, 0-1 Saudi Sportswashing Machine home, 6-0 Emirates Marketing Project away). Of the games we won (7 games) we only won two of those by 2 goals, and didn't get any wins by a bigger margin. Unconvincing to say the least.

Compare to this season, we have only 1 defeat (opening day 1-0 at Utd, via an own goal) and of our 6 wins, two were by a 3 goal margin and one by a 4 goal margin. So when we get it right, we can really punish the opposition, and when we don't play so well, we still don't get beat. And to be honest, we have been the better side in pretty much every game we have played this season. IMO, miles better than the AVB 2nd season side.

Yes, but did AVB's side play better football or put in the kind of performances that made us feel confident about upcoming fixtures? With this side I feel we can win our remaining 5 games in December and be sitting on 40 points. Couldn't say that about AVB's side.

Tbf, in terms of AVB's second season, no you wouldn't have felt confident.
But are you saying that after the Everton late grab defeat early Dec 2012 when we started a good run, you didn't feel confident going into our games from then on that we'd most likely win?

Overall, atm Poch has been better than AVB (and considering the squad bertter than Harry as well). But let's not start sucking our d!cks just yet: we are due a bad game or defeat soon and we'll see how we REALLY are different to other sides then....
I know that we are in the results biz, but some on here have shown how they can switch pretty quickly, both for and against a manager or player (just look at some of the posts in the Lamela, Alli and this thread in August for examples..)

Loving it atm though! COYS!!:D

Also, just to add re. the comparison with AVB's second season: yes, we are only 1 point better off after 14 games. But, in the first 14 games there, we had suffered 4 defeats ( 1-0 Arsenal away, 0-3 West Ham home, 0-1 Saudi Sportswashing Machine home, 6-0 Emirates Marketing Project away). Of the games we won (7 games) we only won two of those by 2 goals, and didn't get any wins by a bigger margin. Unconvincing to say the least.

Compare to this season, we have only 1 defeat (opening day 1-0 at Utd, via an own goal) and of our 6 wins, two were by a 3 goal margin and one by a 4 goal margin. So when we get it right, we can really punish the opposition, and when we don't play so well, we still don't get beat. And to be honest, we have been the better side in pretty much every game we have played this season. IMO, miles better than the AVB 2nd season side.

True...but things can change in football VERY quickly....let's sit back and see. Loving the ride!:D

AVB played an brand of fearful football that got us cautious wins against the small teams. But once we were 1-0 down against a good side his side collapsed clueless with no plan b or team spirit.
Poch's brand of high pressure countering does better again sides trying to play football against up. We tear apart the big sides in the big televised games where AVB's team got hidings.
Our potential to beat anyone gives up a chance to mop up in this poor quality premier league season.

Back