• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Fully agree with this. No disrespect to Qarabag, but if we cannot beat them with a weakened side so to speak then we can really forget about having aspirations of winning the competition. I'm a Spurs fan so I am more than used to seeing us contriving to lose games that seemed almost unthinkable before kickoff, but even IF that did happen, we can rectify it by beating Monaco at home. Again, it's not a given, but it's more than within our capabilitiess. With such a long trip before the Chel53a game and an early kick off to boot, I would be quite disappointed if Kane, Eriksen, Alli etc make the trip.

I think Qarabag have looked decent and even with a full strength side we could get beat by them when you take all the factors into account. If it was a straight two legged tie then you would always be disappointed if you didn't progress against them but the away leg was always going to be tough if for no other reason but the distance when you are effectively playing in Asia. Don't want to see a first 11 out there and if nothing else then the key midfield trio, Kane and Alderweireld should stay at home for me.

Fully agree with this. No disrespect to Qarabag, but if we cannot beat them with a weakened side so to speak then we can really forget about having aspirations of winning the competition. I'm a Spurs fan so I am more than used to seeing us contriving to lose games that seemed almost unthinkable before kickoff, but even IF that did happen, we can rectify it by beating Monaco at home. Again, it's not a given, but it's more than within our capabilitiess. With such a long trip before the Chel53a game and an early kick off to boot, I would be quite disappointed if Kane, Eriksen, Alli etc make the trip.

I disagree and it goes against the ethos of this team. It's a dangerous view for our team to have in thinking that they can just turn up to a game and win, even if it is Qarabag. They drew against Monaco so are not too shabby at all. If Poch decides that he is going to play our first XI, I won't be disappointed. I'd put my faith in him that he made that decision with the best interests of our club at heart.

I think Qarabag have looked decent and even with a full strength side we could get beat by them when you take all the factors into account. If it was a straight two legged tie then you would always be disappointed if you didn't progress against them but the away leg was always going to be tough if for no other reason but the distance when you are effectively playing in Asia. Don't want to see a first 11 out there and if nothing else then the key midfield trio, Kane and Alderweireld should stay at home for me.

Agree, it's the journey more than anything. And given how open the league is this year, we have to make it the first priority.

I disagree and it goes against the ethos of this team. It's a dangerous view for our team to have in thinking that they can just turn up to a game and win, even if it is Qarabag. They drew against Monaco so are not too shabby at all. If Poch decides that he is going to play our first XI, I won't be disappointed. I'd put my faith in him that he made that decision with the best interests of our club at heart.

I just think we would be making victory against Chelsea VERY, very hard by doing that. We've left players at home in the past so I have no issue whatsoever with the journey being so long to leave at least SOME of the regulars at home, especially with our fate being in our own hands. Even if we do somehow lose, we're through if we beat Monaco and will almost certainly top the group. A lot has been made of 3 games in 7 days this week, but 2 were at home and 1 was 4 miles from WHL so next to no travel at all. The league is the best chance of top 4 given how open it is. Can't believe I'm saying this but 3rd could even be within our reach if we keep up this level of play.

As I said to you earlier, I would agree normally but given where the fixture is sandwiched and the travel involved we need prioritise. I think that by playing a number of players normally in the 16 but not necessarily the 11 with some of the youngsters getting a taste is a good thing and would hopefully help increase belief that they will get a chance? 1.Vorm, 2.Trippier, 3.Davies, 4.Wimmer, 5.Fazio, 6.Bentaleb, 7.Mason, 8.N'jie, 9.Son, 10. Chadli, 11.Townsend as an example of an 11 with maybe 2-3 key players taken on the bench. is that a team you would be happy with?

Agree, it's the journey more than anything. And given how open the league is this year, we have to make it the first priority.

Personally, I think the Europa should be equal priority. We can definitely attack on two fronts and sustain it especially with the break in European games until late Feb.

I just think we would be making victory against Chel53a VERY, very hard by doing that. We've left players at home in the past so I have no issue whatsoever with the journey being so long to leave at least SOME of the regulars at home, especially with our fate being in our own hands. Even if we do somehow lose, we're through if we beat Monaco and will almost certainly top the group. A lot has been made of 3 games in 7 days this week, but 2 were at home and 1 was 4 miles from WHL so next to no travel at all. The league is the best chance of top 4 given how open it is. Can't believe I'm saying this but 3rd could even be within our reach if we keep up this level of play.

I think we're going to go round in circles on this but part of the reason for our consistency has to be down to the consistentcy in picking of players.

I was just responding to the point that I will not be disappointed if we play a full strength team, and would understand if Poch chose to do so. I don't think that any of us fans should be making claims that we would be disappointed if he played a full strength team. There's lots of time between now and then anyway, so injuries could mean that this is completely superfluous.

As I said to you earlier, I would agree normally but given where the fixture is sandwiched and the travel involved we need prioritise. I think that by playing a number of players normally in the 16 but not necessarily the 11 with some of the youngsters getting a taste is a good thing and would hopefully help increase belief that they will get a chance? 1.Vorm, 2.Trippier, 3.Davies, 4.Wimmer, 5.Fazio, 6.Bentaleb, 7.Mason, 8.N'jie, 9.Son, 10. Chadli, 11.Townsend as an example of an 11 with maybe 2-3 key players taken on the bench. is that a team you would be happy with?

Personally, I think the Europa should be equal priority. We can definitely attack on two fronts and sustain it especially with the break in European games until late Feb.

I think there's a lot of time between now and then, and I would only make a few changes to our normal team. Perhaps with only 3-4 changes. Much was made earlier in the season about needing to rest Kane but actually playing games was what got him out of his slump. Yeah sure, the travel is going to take it out of them, but it's not as if Chelsea are in the rudest of health either. They have a long trip of their own, and they are also in the biggest slump in recent memory, and may just be managerless by the time we face them. That in itself doesn't guarantee anything, but I wouldn't risk losing momentum and the "feel good" factor by resting a lot of our players. Just my opinion of course.

But I think we are talking too soon about all of this, so will leave it at that.

I just think we would be making victory against Chel53a VERY, very hard by doing that. We've left players at home in the past so I have no issue whatsoever with the journey being so long to leave at least SOME of the regulars at home, especially with our fate being in our own hands. Even if we do somehow lose, we're through if we beat Monaco and will almost certainly top the group. A lot has been made of 3 games in 7 days this week, but 2 were at home and 1 was 4 miles from WHL so next to no travel at all. The league is the best chance of top 4 given how open it is. Can't believe I'm saying this but 3rd could even be within our reach if we keep up this level of play.
Don't think victory against Chelsea is very very hard these days as long as the special one is still there.

I saw the highlights of their game against Monaco and the pitched looked atrocious. I would be very worried about players picking up injuries there.

I saw the highlights of their game against Monaco and the pitched looked atrocious. I would be very worried about players picking up injuries there.
Would be ideal if we could field a team like
Lloris
Trippier
Fazio
Wimmer
Davies
Bentaleb
Mason
Carroll
Son
Chadli
N'Jie

Get the win and rest our entire XI. Unfortunately I don't think we can. Chadli won't prob be back for a while.

Lloris
Trippier
Fazio
Wimmer
Davies
Bentaleb
Mason
Carroll
Son
Chadli
N'Jie

Get the win and rest our entire XI. Unfortunately I don't think we can. Chadli won't prob be back for a while.

It is a really difficult selection and I do not know what is the best approach.

Lloris
Trippier
Fazio
Wimmer
Davies
Bentaleb
Mason
Carroll
Son
Chadli
N'Jie

If we could field that team and get a result it would be ideal ;)

I'm not sure we have to rest all of our outfield players. And if we're looking at this from a player development perspective I'm not sure it's helpful for young and settling players (like that team is pretty much filled with) to play in a team that's entirely thrown together with little existing cohesion.

Probably also will depend a bit on how the West Ham game pans out...

It is a really difficult selection and I do not know what is the best approach.

Spot on mate! Even though it will split the fans like diego says I hope most at least have the common sense to admit that it's not an easy or obvious choice if Pochettino disagrees with them.

Poch wil do what he thinks is best for the team and the club

He may get it wrong, and that happens , and he could get it right as that happens too

What is clear is that he is taking the Europa seriously so he won't play a team he isn't 100% confident will win the game

Likewise he will also want to have his team best placed to beat Chelsea

Glad it's not my call and I'm not concerned as the man in charge knows his stuff

Poch wil do what he thinks is best for the team and the club

He may get it wrong, and that happens , and he could get it right as that happens too

What is clear is that he is taking the Europa seriously so he won't play a team he isn't 100% confident will win the game

Likewise he will also want to have his team best placed to beat Chel53a

Glad it's not my call and I'm not concerned as the man in charge knows his stuff

The thing is that a lot of people will make a decision on whether he got it right or wrong based on the result but it is possible for him to make the right decisions and we still lose.

Look at it position by position:

GK - Lloris doesn't need resting and has apparently asked to play European games this season

FBs - all 4 have been getting good game time

CBs - Verts and Alder have played a lot, but don't look tired. I wouldn't mind using Wimmer more in a few easier league games

CMs - Dier and Alli have played a lot, but Mason and Bentaleb are just returning, and they started the season as our first choice CMs anyway, so that should work out well

AMs - We have a lot of options here (still overstocked) and no-one has been overplayed - even Eriksen had his injury break

CF - Kane has played a lot, but looks ok. Son returning and Njie could maybe be used more in easier league games to ease the burden

In all Kane and the two CBs are the only 3 I think we need to be cautious about overplaying

Nope. People generally complain about just about everything and aim it at Levy whenever the club isn't doing as well as they expect on the pitch.

There not being any Levy-bashing going on is just anoter indicator that we're doing really well. And that some of the more negative posters are staying away from the forum as a result it would seem.

There are a few of the moaning minnies who have not been around a lot lately that's for sure.

Will have to agree to disagree then. I've been in more Levy discussions than most on here and my impression is that it's far from only transfer strategy. I can remember people arguing that Levy was wrong to focus on the training ground and should just spend that money on new signings, I've seen people complain endlessly about how slow the stadium project is, I've seen people indicate that the official financial records from the club might have been falsified to hide profits, I've seen people complain about him getting rid of Sherwood and about him apparently messing up booking flights for the team for one of our away European ties. Some of the "arguments" offered against Levy have made about as much sense as that new world order thread or whatever it was in random.

Spot on.

I disagree. Monaco only managed a draw there so I don't think resting on our laurels is the right thing to do. By all means mix up the team, but I wouldn't rip it apart either.

Could not agree more, it would be foolish to lose out there because we decided our second string can get a result. They are no mugs and we need to get a result.

Back