• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Eriksen, Modric & VDV are nothing like each other ... They all actually operate in different areas, with differing direct impact on goals

the big difference in term of importance for us with Eriksen now, vs. VDV is force of personality. Erisken on his day is can easily be our most dangerous player, yet he never quite grabs the game itself by the scruff, or picks up his teammates and crowd like VDV was capable of.

Not a criticism as I like Eriksen and think he's really important, but VDV could lead, Eriksen to me will mostly support, and that's why I believe to make this team really challenge, you need one ego .. one WC player to add to a really good squad.

the big difference in term of importance for us with Eriksen now, vs. VDV is force of personality. Erisken on his day is can easily be our most dangerous player, yet he never quite grabs the game itself by the scruff, or picks up his teammates and crowd like VDV was capable of.

Bang on

An interesting post i saw on The Grauniad's Football Discussion pages after Liverpool's win at Chelski last Saturday:

The 5-3 hammering at Tottenham last season forever altered Mourinho & thus Chelsea. Chelsea were only the best side last season up until New years Day. Pochettino tactically destroyed Mourinho by targeting Fabregas & Matic by telling Eriksen to drift out to the flanks taking Matic, who Mourinho told to man-mark Eriksen, with him thus leaving Fabregas horribly exposed vs the likes of Kane, Chadli & Co all running at the slow CB back pairing of Terry & Cahill. Pochettino knew Mourinho would try to destroy Eriksen's link up play with Kane as that was the main attacking threat from Spurs up until that point. Mourinho is above all else a reactive manager. Pochettino foreseeing this, countered Mourinho's destructive game-plan. By exploiting Mourinho telling Matic to man-mark Spurs' playmaker, the consequences were it destroyed Mourinho's nerve in having an attacking gameplan & he doubled down on negative football so as not to get hammered again telling the rest of his midfield to tuck in to protect Fabregas being a liability in defence. So shook was he by that result, that for the rest of the season, they just stumbled over the line. There were half a dozen games in the 2nd half of last season where Chelsea needed goalkeeping errors to gift them the 3 points. In truth, Chelsea haven't attacked well since January 2015. But this has long term consequences that we are only beginning to see this season. Don't underestimate what this negativity does to the Chelsea players. When your manager doesn't believe you are capable of outplaying & outscoring the opposition, then confidence drops like a stone. How can you believe you can take the opposition on when your manager is drumming into your head that the main playmaker in the side is so bad defensively, that the entire team attacking approach must be sacrificed to shore up the team? The players don't have the belief anymore that they can attack well because the manager tells them though his tactics that he fears the opposition scoring more than trusting the attacking threat of his own players. He has destroyed their confidence because he has no trust in them in an open game.

Mourinho is, of course, trying to do what he did in the 2nd half of last season by grinding it out but the players have had it. Close the game down? Why? Why should I bust a gut for a manager who doesn't believe we are good enough to attack? You can do that for 3 months when the prize is in sight but over the long term? He has lost the players subconsciously because they don't want to play like Pulis' West Brom, no disrepsect to WBA fans, shutting down games all the time. He tried it today vs Liverpool but the mental energy has gone. He has sucked all the joy & belief out of them. Eventually, you get sick of it. For those Chelsea players, it's not a pleasure to play football anymore, it's a slog to shut down games when taking the lead because the manager doesn't believe in your attacking threat & the longer the slog goes on, the less you try. Morale has collapsed.

From here: http://www.theguardian.com/football...-premier-league-match-report#comment-62490369

That's probably the poorest reasoning behind Chelsea's slump I've seen. Had a Jose team ever had the "we will out score you" mentality? No, it's always pragmatic, cautious football.
Chelsea's problems on the pitch are there for all to see, an old, slow and declining defence, a stand by keeper, a midfield that is running on empty and an over reliance on Costa up front.
Chelsea didn't strengthen over the summer and are paying the price for it. Recent history suggests any team doing well in the league one year suffer the next, add that to the lack of freshness in their squad and it isn't really a huge surprise.

VdV was a bigger name who brought excitement to the club and was much more talismatic (is that even a word?) on the pitch - in terms of ability and quantifiable contributions though it's probably close between the two
Sounds cromulent to me.

That's probably the poorest reasoning behind Chel53a's slump I've seen. Had a Jose team ever had the "we will out score you" mentality? No, it's always pragmatic, cautious football.
Chel53a's problems on the pitch are there for all to see, an old, slow and declining defence, a stand by keeper, a midfield that is running on empty and an over reliance on Costa up front.
Chel53a didn't strengthen over the summer and are paying the price for it. Recent history suggests any team doing well in the league one year suffer the next, add that to the lack of freshness in their squad and it isn't really a huge surprise.
The article does make some sense.... While Chelsea were famed for their ability to grind out a result, it was only really their main gameplan against sides of bigger or equal footing to themselves. They would get many favourable results playing this play, while steamrollering lower class opposition by playing attacking football. Perhaps they have since lost that 'swagger' and then when you fail to beat the smaller clubs the pressure increases further in the harder matches.

That's probably the poorest reasoning behind Chel53a's slump I've seen. Had a Jose team ever had the "we will out score you" mentality? No, it's always pragmatic, cautious football.
Chel53a's problems on the pitch are there for all to see, an old, slow and declining defence, a stand by keeper, a midfield that is running on empty and an over reliance on Costa up front.
Chel53a didn't strengthen over the summer and are paying the price for it. Recent history suggests any team doing well in the league one year suffer the next, add that to the lack of freshness in their squad and it isn't really a huge surprise.

I would argue they did change their style because of us (we were only the 2nd side to beat a Mourinho team by that margin at the time, first was Barca). They did start last season as possibly the most entertaining Mourinho side ever.

However, I would say that lead to a revert to form for Mourinho and that's why they walked the title.

This season is more a combination of issues (you mention some), plus an accumulation of player resentment against Mourinho (his example making and ruthlessness doesn't seem to be good long term). Sides like City, Cheat$ki have problems as nobody is actually at the club for any other reason than pay check, which is fine when things go well, when the odd really bad run of form happens, it goes sideways fast.

Hi Pochs biggest critic here!

Didn't want him when he was appointed whatsoever...

All irrelevant as right now I am totally behind him, the players are and the fans are!

He WILL return us to where we want to be even if we are boring at times we will be fine.

Coys!!
Is it really you, Roy?!
Credit to you if so :)

I also feel the players play for him. I know i shouldn't dare think ... but i think players will stay and play for poch if he can realise thier potential.

Potentially we have a future England pairing in Dier and Alli, along with nailed on England future striker in Harry Kane.

There is so much good about us these days I am simply loving it.

Job done today, 2 of 3 games navigated ..

Expect to see Walker/Rose/Dembele start against Scum, with Son/Mason (thought Mason had a decent game today) as a sub later ...

Job done today, 2 of 3 games navigated ..

Expect to see Walker/Rose/Dembele start against Scum, with Son/Mason (thought Mason had a decent game today) as a sub later ...

I think that Mason will retain his place in the side at the base of midfield and Alli will miss out.

It really is me!

How can we fault him? 5th and League Cup Final last year. This season he's got rid of 3/4 players with no future here saving hundreds of thousands every week and nurtured/is nurturing a young group of players who will develop 10-fold over the next 2/3 years and even beyond in some cases.

Wow...so what exactly changed your mind if you don't mind me asking?

I remember only in September you were quite disparaging....

I haven't been this happy a as a Spurs fan in my 25 years of following the club and it is down to this man. I actually love him for making the love of my life attractive to me again in every way.

Trophies have never been a thing for me. I support the club regardless.

But now I can just look at the club and see it moving along in the right direction with the perfect man at the helm.

And this is the cheesiest post ever. I know.

But I love Poch.

Back