• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Against Leicester we played a 4312/4231 in the first half, but Leicester stayed very compact and narrow which pretty much stopped us finding our front players between the lines. In the second half Poch pushed Lamela up higher and we went to a 433 with their deep midfield effectively marking no-one. Our CB's and midfielders worked to draw out their midfield whist Walker and Davies started from higher positions on the flanks and we saw more opportunities. We had chances to score before Alli's goal and had we held on, people would've noted the change more.

You are probably right about that, once again the fickle fans will start screaming for a new manager ( like they always do) and the roundabout will start again.

Realistically I agree getting rid of him is not the best idea. I've said it before but I believe I'm the biggest critic of Poch. Didn't want him to come in the first place and don't really want him here now. However, his 5th place finish and cup final appearance merits another season and I'd like to see him given 3 years in charge to see where we are.

However, how would you feel IF our record was P10 W1 D4 L5

Just putting it out there. I think Levy would be justified pulling the trigger.

I actually think this transfer window confirmed a long held suspicion - Levy won't pull the trigger on Poch (short of spurs being in the relegation zone come December).

He really has no option, having failed to support his manager and buying a back up striker, he cannot complain if said team do not perform the way that they thought it would.

The first few games have confirmed that this team is not being built to be top 4 competitive this year or next year IMO but for the long term - I honestly believe until the new stadium is built Levy will happily watch the team struggle in the EPL as long as there is no threat to our premiership status. And I'm pretty sure this is the same thing he has said to Poch - take your time son, coach and develop these youngsters, but don't worry about immediate success (ie a top 6 finish).

Poch showed what he could do with a team at Southampton, but what he's got at the moment is woefully short of experience in the middle and up front - Son and Njie may prove shrewd buys in the long term but it will take time for both to settle, so I'm not expecting anything much from them this year.

Realistically I agree getting rid of him is not the best idea. I've said it before but I believe I'm the biggest critic of Poch. Didn't want him to come in the first place and don't really want him here now. However, his 5th place finish and cup final appearance merits another season and I'd like to see him given 3 years in charge to see where we are.

He was not my first choice either ( FDB was), however he is our manager and IF we are to progress further we need to stop sacking managers because a few hysterical fans want them gone. I am a supporter of Levy but my main gripe with him is the constant changing of managers and starting all over again every couple of years, as for you scenario well I am unable to say what I would feel as its not happened and I do not see it happening.

I actually think this transfer window confirmed a long held suspicion - Levy won't pull the trigger on Poch (short of spurs being in the relegation zone come December).

He really has no option, having failed to support his manager and buying a back up striker, he cannot complain if said team do not perform the way that they thought it would.

The first few games have confirmed that this team is not being built to be top 4 competitive this year or next year IMO but for the long term - I honestly believe until the new stadium is built Levy will happily watch the team struggle in the EPL as long as there is no threat to our premiership status. And I'm pretty sure this is the same thing he has said to Poch - take your time son, coach and develop these youngsters, but don't worry about immediate success (ie a top 6 finish).

Poch showed what he could do with a team at Southampton, but what he's got at the moment is woefully short of experience in the middle and up front - Son and Njie may prove shrewd buys in the long term but it will take time for both to settle, so I'm not expecting anything much from them this year.

The question becomes, was Poch willing to go for the players available? (e.g. I assume we could have got Austin without issue, have to expect Poch said no) how many players did Poch say no to (due to the not suited to "system")

Additionally if Poch blocked the sale of Lamela, its another big negative against him unless somehow Lamela magically turns it around very quickly, as that was perhaps our last opportunity to minimize our losses on him.

Poch is not in a comfortable position.

I think he's a goner if that happens.

You are probably right about that, once again the fickle fans will start screaming for a new manager ( like they always do) and the roundabout will start again.

Well you right that it usually is the fans either voting with their feet or their mouths that gets managers sacked, Levy has shown himself to be just as impatient as fans, sometimes even more impatient.

I think we would be mad to get rid of him. We have a squad that is almost looking like what the coach needs, if we got rid of him this season and hired a new coach, what are the chances that we would be looking at needing to exchange another part of the team? I'd give him this season and start judging him after then.

Well you right that it usually is the fans either voting with their feet or their mouths that gets managers sacked, Levy has shown himself to be just as impatient as fans, sometimes even more impatient.

And that is the main gripe I have with Levy, hopefully he has learnt from the past that sacking managers because a minority of hysterical fans start bitching does not improve us as a club.

I think that with Poch he has decided to give him longer then the usual couple of years to see where we can go with him.

Would you guys say he has been backed sufficiently so far? I'm not sure personally. Taking that into consideration, would be very harsh if he is sacked at any point this season.

Would you guys say he has been backed sufficiently so far? I'm not sure personally. Taking that into consideration, would be very harsh if he is sacked at any point this season.

I think (and hope) he has, there was a willingness to bring in players he wanted (we assume, as part of the "committee") for reasonable fee's, we are 80% of the way to the squad make up he wants, lets see what the next two windows bring

I think we would be mad to get rid of him. We have a squad that is almost looking like what the coach needs, if we got rid of him this season and hired a new coach, what are the chances that we would be looking at needing to exchange another part of the team? I'd give him this season and start judging him after then.

It seems to me a few fans fail to understand that when we replace a manager it means a lot of things, new manager, new coaches, new systems, old coaches out, old systems out, old players out, new players in and yet fail to understand that is usually takes longer then a season to do that and show progress. So what happens the fan start their bitching again and we replace another manager and once again jump on the round about .

We never learn.

See my post above

- How many players has he said no to?
- Did he chose to keep Lamela, knowing the money could have been used for another player?

I worry that Poch isn't the guy that understands sometimes you need to buy options, buy for squad.

See my post above

- How many players has he said no to?
- Did he chose to keep Lamela, knowing the money could have been used for another player?

I worry that Poch isn't the guy that understands sometimes you need to buy options, buy for squad.

Hmm....interesting question re players he may have turned down, as in being picky; apart from your opinion of turning down Austin, what makes you think he did/does turn down players being offered to buy by Levy/The board?

If he chose to keep Lamela, can you blame him when a day before the window was closing we still hadn't brought in a CF to rotate/play with Kane. That purchase should NOT have been dependent on selling Lamela as we had made sales elsewhere and the CF was a priority position. Why get rid of someone you at least know works (at times!) when you cannot be sure he'd be replaced in time?

You are joking with your last point surely??

Just wanted to get people's thoughts whilst there is a break before our next game: how do you think Poch's tactical/coaching methods compared to Juande Ramos'?

It is interesting that both took over from coaches who were effectively hopeless against 'top 4' teams and got far better results against those sides but then both could be accused of being poorer vs the 'bread and butter' PL teams.

Please discuss....

I think much along the lines with whoever said that he is likely to have been given a brief just to keep us semi competitive other the short term whilst the stadium is being built provided we don't look like we are going to be in a relegation scrap. Tha might not be what we want to hear but I think with the overall quality of the squad, that is exactly where we are at imo.

I think he has been backed to a degree although it is impossible to say whether any of the players we have bought, possibly with the exception of Alderweireld, are his real choice and who he wanted without question. That said, I would be incredibly disappointed if we didn't attempt to make 2 signings in January, hopefully Berahino and Witsel and i would imagine that Pochettino would be pretty disappointed if we managed to get round to next summers window without an additional experienced and specific CM and a versatile wing forward.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts whilst there is a break before our next game: how do you think Poch's tactical/coaching methods compared to Juande Ramos'?

It is interesting that both took over from coaches who were effectively hopeless against 'top 4' teams and got far better results against those sides but then both could be accused of being poorer vs the 'bread and butter' PL teams.

Please discuss....

No comparison, Ramos never "got" the English game, brick teams were a lot weaker then, Ramos never got every game in the PL was a fight ...

Additionally there are days we look poor under Poch, usually too slow, too uninspired, on Ramos bad days the players looked like they didn't know each other, subs shaking their head coming on to the field, the players fundamentally didn't believe in Ramos. Compare that to Dier/Mason/Rose/Kane who would do anything Poch asks .. big difference.

This myth that the EPL is a more aggressive and tougher league than any other, well it's exactly that!

The big teams still crush minnows (for the most part) just like in La Liga or any other competition.. We just happen to not be one of the biggest teams at this stage of our clubs growth.

This myth that the EPL is a more aggressive and tougher league than any other, well it's exactly that!

The big teams still crush minnows (for the most part) just like in La Liga or any other competition.. We just happen to not be one of the biggest teams at this stage of our clubs growth.

What, like the way Man U crushed Swansea.
Chelsea crushed Palace, Arsenal and Liverpool crushed little West Ham..

For all the money the top 4 (even Arsenal at times) spend on players and wages!!, they still manage to look pretty ordinary most of the time.

Back