• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

sorry can you tell me did D Rose start his career as a lb?

he can play the role and we would have been more balanced. Rather than every kn.ob and his dog in a spurs shirt trying to play the no 10 role.

Ledley King started as a CF in his youth days - pretty sure that'd be square pegs in round holes also had he lead the line for the first team once established as first choice CB

Our inside forwards play the inside forward role, not the no.10 role - playing Rose there would make that even more of a square peg!

Mate, I was jumping for joy when we got those two and Berbatov.

I'd never heard of Wimmer, who hasn't even made a match day squad yet, Fazio, Stambouli, Dier etc.

Bale was 16/17 when he signed and didn't produce for us for a number of years....
Modric was more of a coup but he wasn't exceptional in his first season either.

Ledley King started as a CF in his youth days - pretty sure that'd be square pegs in round holes also had he lead the line for the first team once established as first choice CB

Our inside forwards play the inside forward role, not the no.10 role - playing Rose there would make that even more of a square peg!

I don't think King is a fair comparison. Rose was predominately a lmf lwf who was then converted to lb so he knows and is comfortable with the role. I dont see this as putting a square peg in a round hole.

opinions are opinions but I would have preferred that than Dembele in a role where he offers little. We needed width yesterday on both flanks and whatever position you want to call it the team selection yesterday left us unbalanced with an inability to test Everton on both flanks.

The tempo is too slow, we pass too slow, run off the ball too slow etc. just look laboured.

Don't forget Everton played 120 minutes in mid week. We should have been rampant, pressed harder and put them under much more pressure and I'm sure this would have told in their legs later in the game.

I think the width was fine yesterday, everton didn't cause any trouble from the flanks except for when we made mistakes and gave the ball way with players in offensive positions. Everton's threat since Martinez took over has been from their midfield stealing possession and releasing early, we denied them that opportunity yesterday. It was a controlling performance.

I think the width was fine yesterday, everton didn't cause any trouble from the flanks except for when we made mistakes and gave the ball way with players in offensive positions. Everton's threat since Martinez took over has been from their midfield stealing possession and releasing early, we denied them that opportunity yesterday. It was a controlling performance.

Exactly... We were in control for most of thebgame and only poor finishing let us down

I guarantee it will get better and I also guarantee we will have other games where we end up doing the same thing

Didn't get to watch today but i could imagine we looked a little like this in possession.. and that is to say without balance.

I think the biggest thing we're missing right now (and is hopefully being addressed with our newest additions) is a balanced side with players actually playing in their natural positions.

You've got to have the right players obviously, but I think it's more important to have the right guys in the right position in the team with everyone playing to their strengths.

This so far is one of my biggest concerns with Poch. Instead of being flexible and changing the formation, he's asking players to play out of position more often than not. The players he played today are more suited to a 5-3-1-1 than a 4-2-3-1. Instead of showing he's flexible and can change up the formation to adapt to the players at his disposal, he's instead trying to just make certain players play roles they're never fit to play in.

This is one of the main reasons I feel Eriksen is disposable and could be sold (though that's for another thread). He's just not a LWF or even a LAM. He needs to play in a 3 man midfield as the CAM but we don't (and apparently under Poch, will never) play a 4-3-3 formation.

Call me stupid but I don't see many players playing out of position in that. I think the 4-2-3-1 allows a number of different formations to be played during the game and Poch is not the first manager to congest the middle to make a team more solid, which I think is what we have all been looking for. As for Eriksen, Modric started on the left (albeit not as a LWF but rather a LM) and that did his career no harm. It was only until he got comfortable with the pace that he was moved further inside. Eriksen hasn't shown the ability to play CM just yet.

I do think that the fundamental difference of opinion is on the inverted winger or inside forward. People don't like having left footers playing on the right and vice versa. I think once our young team, and I stress young, is more comfortable we will see people rotating around in the forward areas to offer something different which is what we saw in the first half against Stoke.

Shoot me down if you think I am wrong by all means....I didnt say it when I first saw the team list yesterday because I did not want to be negative...but I knew we would be lopsided...and congested in the middle of the park, and I did not see enough goal threat in the side/bench but that is more our transfer failings/injuries than anything Poch has done anyway.......

To answer your question I would have done the following yesterday with injuries and lack of options.

Lloris

Walker Toby Verts Davies

Dier Dembele

Chadli Mason Rose

Kane

Yes Rose at left wing I know....I guarantee had we played that way we would have been far more balanced and dangerous on the wings....Dembele could have driven forward centrally while Dier sat back. Of course this is just my opinion and open to be called bol*ocks.

I like Poch, how he conducts himself...how he represents our club....but he is guilty of putting square pegs in round holes and not acting quickly enough in games to give us an edge.

In summary if our young players have a lot to learn...the way I see it our young coach has a lot to learn also...I would like to think he thinks this way too because if he thinks he knows it all then we are fecked.

I see your point Nigeyman. On the point of playing Rose as an inside forward or LM, I really do think it is because he wants the fullbacks offering the width. The team is still getting to grips with his system, and I suppose he doesn't want too many players playing out of position because he wants the team to settle in their own identity. I also don't think Davies would have dealt with Kone as well as Rose.

Dembele is a bit of an enigma. His best position is up for debate. He came as a no 10, but can play pretty much anywhere and has done for a number of teams. I would argue that Dier is probably being played out of position, but he is doing quite well at it and for his longer term future it would probably do him some good. Mason is an interesting one as I thought he had one of his better games for us, perhaps showing that he plays better further forward.

I agree that Poch takes time with his substitutions. I think he will if there was not so much pressure i.e. if we had some wins and hadn't snatched a draw from the jaws of victory in the last two games. Being bold with substitutions can work both ways.

Bale was 16/17 when he signed and didn't produce for us for a number of years....
Modric was more of a coup but he wasn't exceptional in his first season either.
Bale actually played quite well for us in his opening matches. Ignore the win record, that wasn't his fault. He then suffered injuries and was then frozen out by "I've got my favourites" Redknap.

I really hope that Eriksen is not out for long, that our new signings are involved quickly and make an impression, and that we sign a couple more players. We have got a fairly tough run of fixtures coming up and could easily get to the beginning November with a handful of points and a bottom quarter (or very near to) premier position. Even if this doesn't reflect our overall potential it will put a lot of pressure on the manager and players. I think it could be a bumpier ride than usual to Christmas/New Year.

I thought overall, we played quite well. Created a number of good chances through some excellent movement and looked quite solid at the back. On another day, we would have been comfortable winners.

However, there are still a few negatives.

1. Our long range shooting is abysmal. Too many efforts blasted well off target. We need some serious shooting practice. Three goals from four games just isn't good enough.

2. Our propensity to concede too many needless free kicks is worrying. If this trend continues, we will undoubtedly pay for it sooner than later.

3. Walker continues to be a liability. Has at least one brain fart a game ( Cleverley almost scored from yesterday's ) and gives too much room for crosses from his side. we concede to Leicester from his side and Kone almost punished us from a cross from our right again yesterday. Also he offers next to nothing going forward. While he gets into great positions, his delivery is sh1t. Therefore, as a liability in defence and a non- contributer in attack, now is the time to give Trippier a chance.

4. As had been expected by some ( including me !) Kane is unlikely to replicate last seasons exceptional form. He needs help up there and also will need a rest. I really hope Nige and Son are the answer, but a line leader (? Berahino or Austin ) is also desperately needed. Hopefully we can get some more goals in the team soon.

3. Walker continues to be a liability. Has at least one brain fart a game ( Cleverley almost scored from yesterday's ) and gives too much room for crosses from his side. we concede to Leicester from his side and Kone almost punished us from a cross from our right again yesterday. Also he offers next to nothing going forward. While he gets into great positions, his delivery is sh1t. Therefore, as a liability in defence and a non- contributer in attack, now is the time to give Trippier a chance.

I think another option for the right back, most likely Trippier, would make a big difference to our overall performance. As you point out Walker offers very little going forward, he may be quick but he doesn't have the football brain or the technique. And his decision making is not great, which is why is has problems with one of the most difficult decisions for a full back - when to close down the opposing wide attacking player.

It is tough being a full back as when the ball is coming down the opposing flank, the man you are marking is usually sneaking in behind you waiting to receive the ball wide or make a run into the box. So you need to be constantly vigilant and monitoring your own position relative to the opposition. Then there is the problem of being part of a high line pressing defensive line that is retreating as the opposition attacks. You are pulled in narrow, close to the CBs, and the ball gets pinged to the wide player you are marking. Do you hold the narrow position and wait to see what progress they make down the wing. Or do you go straight out to close the wide player even though they are still on the halfway line?

Watching Walker at close quarters yesterday, I think he struggles with these fundamental aspects of full back play, and that is why he is reluctant to get further forward. Because he lacks confidence that he will be able to get back and do his covering job if play breaks down.

In the same way that a boxer has to let his opponent know he is capable of hurting him early on, but giving him a few decent whacks, the full back has to put in a few good runs forward early on that make the opposite wide player track back and cover. Walker is unable to impose himself psychologically on the player he is marking, so he ends up getting pegged back.

Alii for Dier for a start. No Lamela last week. Just off the top of my head. Pritchard to come on earlier.
So you think alli should have been on instead of many people's MOTM Dier? Pritchard is still UNPROVEN at this level. Look at the stick mason and bentaleb get for poor passes even after having numerous good games yet people still want to send in two kids with even less experience.
Still weird

So you think alli should have been on instead of many people's MOTM Dier? Pritchard is still UNPROVEN at this level. Look at the stick mason and bentaleb get for poor passes even after having numerous good games yet people still want to send in two kids with even less experience.
Still weird

Point taken. But I would have started Alli in place of Bentaleb though.

Just on the subject of Poch's formations and flexibility... watching Swansea just now their boss Garry Monk changed formation half way through the Man Utd game... he played a diamond (Cork at the base, Sigg at the top, Shelvey left and Ki right) leaving Gomis and Ayew free.

He put Gomis up front but played Ayew right wing to keep Luke Shaw back and use the space behind Shaw. That is where the goal came from, Sigg found Ayew on the right, who played in Gomis for the winner.

Obviously I don't expect managers to pull off these miracles every game, but it was a clear example of a very cunning ploy, deliberately making the team lopsided (a wonky) and benefiting.

They also pointed out that the Swansea team cost £22m whilst Man U's team cost £220m. Impressive.

Back