• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'm going into this season excited as I was in AVBs first season. I wasn't expecting a top four finish but I did expect to see a plan come into action, a change in direction and philosophy. I still found enjoyment out of his first season, mainly due to the fact we saw an absolute world class player flourish before our eyes, as well as seeing the likes of Sandro and Dembele dominate games etc.

But this year, I'm not bothered if we don't finish in the top four. I'm setting my sights low, if we get anything above 6th place I'll be very happy. As long as we come out of the season giving it our all, seeing a plan come together, a philosophy quite clearly drilled into the side and at least a decent cup run in one of the three cups, I'll be very happy.

Very well said.

Add Europe travels and the lack of training time in between matches. Poch doesn't have much experience competing on multiple fronts. He has always relied on a central core of players and not needed to rotate them much. Steep learning curve for him.

Yep but like with players, we have a choice between taking a punt on a young manager who might be on their way up or an experienced manager on their way down.

I never said we had to finish top 4 I said we needed to challenge the top 4 and improve in the cups.
Do I think he needs time well to crack the top 4 and have us in the cl yeah he has a year from now
by seasons end I expect improvement on this year
If he can't do it then he's failing like I said if rafa or frank had got the job we would have expected them to hit the ground running why does poch get special dispensation ?

I think the boat has sailed for the time being in relation to a top 4 finish. Could be years before we get anywhere near again. The best way to do it is by hiring a young and hungry manager, which is what we've done.

I think the boat has sailed for the time being in relation to a top 4 finish. Could be years before we get anywhere near again. The best way to do it is by hiring a young and hungry manager, which is what we've done.

I don't agree. Only Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are cemented into the top four. With a bit of luck and a good season, we can finish above or amongst the others.

At first I was convinced Pochettino was perfect for us but I am worried that with the high pressing we could severely suffer with 2 games a week.
On the other hand we do have a more energetic midfield plus a bigger squad in general.

Starting to think we missed a trick with FDB tho

Last edited:
I don't agree. Only Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are cemented into the top four. With a bit of luck and a good season, we can finish above or amongst the others.

You're being naive in relation to Man Utd.

Do you know Hitler was not unduly worried when the USA declared war on Germany, as he thought they wouldn't be in a position to send troops to Europe until the 1970s.

Man Utd will finish in the top 4 next season, and either Liverpool or Arsenal will join them.

You're being naive in relation to Man Utd.

Do you know Hitler was not unduly worried when the USA declared war on Germany, as he thought they wouldn't be in a position to send troops to Europe until the 1970s.

Man Utd will finish in the top 4 next season, and either Liverpool or Arsenal will join them.

Just to be pedantic, Nazi Germany declared war on the United States, not the other way around. :) Agree with the sentiment of it, though: United will put up a hell of a fight for the CL spots. They now have the manager we'd all dreamed of getting.

They might well earn a place but it's naive to assume that it's nailed on. They have a lot to do before a place in the top 4 is theirs.

Well if what some of you are saying is true and I should be happy with 6th place this season then prepare to be shocked because I will not be not at all.
If we can get 6th with the complete shambles we have been this year then I will expect better next season its called progress and why we hired him no ?

Well if what some of you are saying is true and I should be happy with 6th place this season then prepare to be shocked because I will not be not at all.
If we can get 6th with the complete shambles we have been this year then I will expect better next season its called progress and why we hired him no ?

I'm shocked :eek:

I'm shocked :eek:

Hahaha you know what i mean I would have expected better from any of the candidates so I don't see why I should be happy with slipping in to obscurity now just because the same people claiming messiah before he got the job are now having doubts.

The minimum allowed for me is 5th place and a good run in at least the europa.

Why would less be acceptable ?

Hahaha you know what i mean I would have expected better from any of the candidates so I don't see why I should be happy with slipping in to obscurity now just because the same people claiming messiah before he got the job are now having doubts.

The minimum allowed for me is 5th place and a good run in at least the europa.

Why would less be acceptable ?

Who's talking about slipping into obscurity?

I think that people are just recognising that there are five clubs that spend a lot more than us on transfers and wages and that it will take a bit of luck and some excellent football to finish above any of them.

Who's talking about slipping into obscurity?

I think that people are just recognising that there are five clubs that spend a lot more than us on transfers and wages and that it will take a bit of luck and some excellent football to finish above any of them.

One poster mentioned 4 years before we were serious challengers to top 4 ,people agreed but untill this season we have been challenging that position no.
I just don't see why we should wait that long just to do what we already have been for the last 5 that's one hell of a honeymoon.

I will concede that 5 clubs spend more
But do they have better squads or better facilities ? city and Chelsea yep but after that its anyone's and there for the taking I would say.

Coming season or in four years, getting 4th and Champions League football would be an achievement and a high point.
Shouldn't be something anyone at Spurs expect/demand and take for granted, the competition is tough and we'll do well to qualify any season.
The point is to not panic, blame people and go on a rant just because we finish outside of 4th.

As long as we are playing an improved style of football and looking like we are making overall progress.....plus the top 4 are in immaculate form...then top six will be acceptable.

But do they have better squads or better facilities ? city and Chelsea yep but after that its anyone's and there for the taking I would say.

I think that they all have more experienced squads and the all have at least one player who is considerably better than anyone that we have.

I will concede that 5 clubs spend more

I agree that on paper with a few signings our squad is very strong. Organised effectively it should easily be superior to Everton and should provide a tough challenge to Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd especially.

The main disappointment this season for me wasn't the 6th place finish so much as the complete lack of challenge to the top 4 teams.

White Hart Lane in particular should be a fixture that Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project are wary of despite their finances.

My point in relation to Pochettino and the patience required is:

1) His system revolves around intelligent and organised pressing all over the pitch as well as supreme fitness levels and this is going to take some time to implement effectively and raise fitness levels throughout the squad.
2) the other clubs other than Man utd are starting with a relatively stable position with all of their managers already having at least a season to bed in their ideas. Man Utd don't but they're Man U and they have £200M to throw at the problem
3) I expect Pochettino to develop us to the point where we are seriously in the mix for top 4 and giving the top teams a real challenge but we can't EXPECT to beat them or finish above them. We COULD do and we have the CAPABILITY to but the odds and balance of probabilities are against us.

Back