• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

So more a Danny Rose situation than Jan, Toby or Eriksen then in some ways?

This is also where I felt that Redknapp was a good manger. People overlook that Man management side, but there wouldn’t be many managers who would let their centre half not train all week and then give a thumbs up on the Friday whether they could play at the weekend for example.

Technically yes, though I think the more pertinent element is that we know they are/were moving on - and its all about how they conduct themselves through the season, rather than the intricacies of contract length etc.

I wasnt Redknapps biggest fan, by a stretch, but his handling of the like of Ledley was brilliant. And even Adebayor - Im not sure he has ever played as well under anyone else.

Technically yes, though I think the more pertinent element is that we know they are/were moving on - and its all about how they conduct themselves through the season, rather than the intricacies of contract length etc.

I wasnt Redknapps biggest fan, by a stretch, but his handling of the like of Ledley was brilliant. And even Adebayor - Im not sure he has ever played as well under anyone else.
My point about the situations being different is that players close to the end of their contract are naturally more likely to try to avoid injury. Rose looks to me like he is still committed on the pitch, whereas Eriksen and Toby in particular seem to be avoiding things that might lead to injury (sprints, lunges/stretches, impact challenges, holding the ball in positions where a challenge might come in side/behind).

It’s all completely speculative of course but I think Redknapp would’ve talked both Ledley and VDV into staying had he still been at Spurs.

My point about the situations being different is that players close to the end of their contract are naturally more likely to try to avoid injury. Rose looks to me like he is still committed on the pitch, whereas Eriksen and Toby in particular seem to be avoiding things that might lead to injury (sprints, lunges/stretches, impact challenges, holding the ball in positions where a challenge might come in side/behind).

Probably fair. For me its dancing around the main point though - that being - there are standards to meet, and if you dont there should be consequences.

Like you I dont fault Rose for effort (though I still think he is playing brick), so if there was a chance of him playing well, and presumably not being a dingdong around the squad, Ive no issue with him being there. Although he has to be meeting the levels expected.

Eriksen on the other hand has completely shamed himself, and regardless of his ability - he should be no where near the squad. He is below youth level standards in both performance and commitment. Consequences....

When the manager allows this, and even rewards it with games, he is causing more issues around the squad than any players "distractions"

I agree. There seems to be the meteorology of ‘papers lie, they just want clicks’ and it is over stating one part of their incentive while completely ignoring how these things work, because we don’t see what goes on as fans.

2 weeks ago, even though we were in bad form there was barely a single story on Poch being under pressure. Now there is. Something has happened, I think the wheels are in motion. And if it’s the clubs idea to protect themselves when the axe falls, their incentive is to make sure it gets around as many people as possible rather than not, so they’d use multiple journos they trust.

Protect themselves from what? And what is ‘it’ they’re getting round to journo’s?

I’m a bit lost!

FWIW - I actually think Poch has been pretty unlucky this season. Firstly with injuries to new players initially etc.

We are the 5th highest scorers in the league and have conceded the same as Chelsea. Certainly not worthy of being 14th. The fact we are 3 points off 5th tells u the 14th is a little misleading. I know we’ve been poor but the teams around us have a vastly inferior GD which tells u a lot.

Also, 2 big VAR shouts have cost us 3 and 2 points each imo. You could argue we are 1cm from being 5th!

We could quickly run up the league with a few decent results. However, top 4 is gone imo.

Careful son, you're going against the tide there with a touch of dangerous logic.

Protect themselves from what? And what is ‘it’ they’re getting round to journo’s?

I’m a bit lost!

I think the "protect themselves" bit is that they get the message out that Poch is for the high jump so they can control the message pretty much and also give it time to sink in. It lessens the backlash from fans if was sacked out of the blue.

The it is that Poch is gonna get fired.

I’m a bit lost!

I think there is an element of the PR war here, some Donna Cullen influence.

I see the other side. Why brief the press at all? How much influence does it really have? PR isn’t my game, but I assume a great deal of thought goes into it. Advantages to be gained. Agendas to advance. Influence to build.

It’s the spin war. Difference between sacking him out of the blue and potentially causing uproar among fans and players to having the feeling build up over time, so when the axe falls it’s felt inevitable and that the club did the only thing they could.

I think there is an element of the PR war here, some Donna Cullen influence.

I see the other side. Why brief the press at all? How much influence does it really have? PR isn’t my game, but I assume a great deal of thought goes into it. Advantages to be gained. Agendas to advance. Influence to build.

It’s the spin war. Difference between sacking him out of the blue and potentially causing uproar among fans and players to having the feeling build up over time, so when the axe falls it’s felt inevitable and that the club did the only thing they could.

Let me just say that those four words speak an awful lot more about an awful lot of things over the years than most can imagine.

I will admit that I am personally finding the incessant peddling of rumor, innuendo and overall back-stabbing flimflam (IMO anyway) aimed at Pochettino right now a disgrace.

(EDITED because what is the fudging point?!...)

Last edited:
Did I also mention we’ve already travelled to:

Liverpool
Emirates Marketing Project
Arsenal
Leicester
Everton
Yeah and we’ve played Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home and lost, Watford at home and drew, Brighton away and got spanked. If you could let me know what you have seen that makes you think we are going to win the reverse of those games at home that would be great....

I think the "protect themselves" bit is that they get the message out that Poch is for the high jump so they can control the message pretty much and also give it time to sink in. It lessens the backlash from fans if was sacked out of the blue.

The it is that Poch is gonna get fired.
Cheers. I suppose if People read between the lines then that’s possible but I prefer facts.

Hopefully we win on Saturday and then it’s home vs Bournemouth so a big chance to change momentum.

But if we fall out of the top 4 then say goodbye to being able to get anywhere near competing with the rest of the top 6 on wages, thus making it harder and harder to compete.
Get used to it, we aren't getting top 4 this season Poch or no Poch. Too many points have been dropped already.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Back