• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

I think Royal get a lot of stick usually from some which in my opinion is way over the top, however Doherty had a very good game and deserves a run of games now for sure.
Royale is where Spurs attacks go to die....

I think Conte persists with him because he gets up and down the line well and gets himself into some great positions, the problem is that his delivery when he finds himself on the ball in those great positions is almost always poor.

Doherty has been really good in these two games, but he’s not been tested defensively, and that’s the more important part of the job.

He was pretty good last season though, I think we’ll see RWB by committee for the rest of the season.

Doherty has been really good in these two games, but he’s not been tested defensively, and that’s the more important part of the job.

He was pretty good last season though, I think we’ll see RWB by committee for the rest of the season.
In the 3-4-3 formation defending is indeed the more important part. In a 3-5-2 the attacking side is more important as the deep midfielder slots in allowing the two wide centre backs to fan out to play more like full backs.

In the 3-4-3 formation defending is indeed the more important part. In a 3-5-2 the attacking side is more important as the deep midfielder slots in allowing the two wide centre backs to fan out to play more like full backs.

Like when we had Walker and Rose and Dembele and Wanyama would instinctively drop in, was fluid and effective. Different system but that was the expectation because the wide FBs were an outlet that added to our success going forward. Bissouma did alot of that floating work and then recycling of the ball when he came on

Like when we had Walker and Rose and Dembele and Wanyama would instinctively drop in, was fluid and effective. Different system but that was the expectation because the wide FBs were an outlet that added to our success going forward. Bissouma did alot of that floating work and then recycling of the ball when he came on
In that formation we had two at the back and the centre midfield player would drop in. With 3 at the back and 1 holding it gives even greater protection, thus making attacking far more important than defending for the 3-5-2 wing backs. I think that suits both Doherty and Perisic.

In that formation we had two at the back and the centre midfield player would drop in. With 3 at the back and 1 holding it gives even greater protection, thus making attacking far more important than defending for the 3-5-2 wing backs. I think that suits both Doherty and Perisic.
It showed yesterday how suited they were
Both has shots in the area that came form great running inside
I’ll also say that Doherty did have to do some defending vs Brighton and did really well

Thought he had an OK game down the right. We didn't look threatened there and he combines well with Kulu.
Doesn't go all out attack as much as Perisic does perhaps its Conte's instruction. Not sure if Romero there would have been better, I don't recall any crossing from him, but lots of tracking/defending.

Thought he had an OK game down the right. We didn't look threatened there and he combines well with Kulu.
Doesn't go all out attack as much as Perisic does perhaps its Conte's instruction. Not sure if Romero there would have been better, I don't recall any crossing from him, but lots of tracking/defending.
He was everywhere he needed to be
It was him that followed up Kanes header onto the bar and he was in the area for that penalty that he didn’t win
Hard to tell how much support he was giving us defensively because it was long ball football from Brentford

Combines well with just about everyone as long as there's a decent opportunity to do so, but yeah particularly Kulusevski.

Got forward well, good ball progressing when the chance to do so was there.

Didn't do that much in the first half, but it's not like he kept getting the ball in decent situations and did nothing with it. Mostly tried to be useful when he had the chance.

I really think he should be first choice now.

Good deal for him. Keeping him and loaning out Royal would have left us with a more like for like alternative to Porro...but I guess if Moura is back, we could always play him there? I think he played there a couple times a pre-season friendlies? Would show an indication of thinking that he could do the role

Surprised it's doherty going as he can play on the left aswell.
He can’t play “well” on the left though. I actually think Davies is a better LWB option there than Doherty. If we’re really having to dig that far down the list of possibilities.

Seems to be a good influence around the squad, but was never really good enough for our level and is 31 now. Another don’t get involved with Jorge Mendes lesson.

He can’t play “well” on the left though. I actually think Davies is a better LWB option there than Doherty. If we’re really having to dig that far down the list of possibilities.

We're also supposedly signing that Thierry Small from Soton today who is a LB.

Surprised it's doherty going as he can play on the left aswell.
Not really surprised. Emerson has largely been picked over him, and you'd have to say was more of the first choice over Doherty. Given we've now brought Porro in, it makes sense then that Royal would be the one kept, as he offers different attributes to Porro and Doherty. Whereas Doherty is an inferior version of Porro who wasn't even a guaranteed starter.

Also 18. Think conte would consider him a "club signing".

But for a 3rd choice, it's as deep as Austin in goal, or Laviner at RB, or Lankshear at CF. You only really need two senior players for every position, plus an emergency youth option.

Back