• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Well done to Levy and Mourinho this window, far exceeded what I thought we’d do..... as for his deficiencies in defence. These are in what regard? I think he’s supposed to be good on the ball and surely must have better football intelligence than Aurier. Just not being caught in possession or giving the ball away dangerously will make him an upgrade.

Here is a spider graph with Doherty's and Aurier direct goal contributions compared. Sadly I couldn't find anything with a wider range of statistical parameters.

I find it interesting that for two ostensibly attacking fullbacks their numbers differ much in the strong areas. Doherty appears to be more of the finisher of moves in the final third I. Comparison to Aurier's stats which bias him more to being involved in goals moreso than scoring them.
e7bd114b7a6c823531c7f8d028c21db1.jpg

Welcome to the greatest club in the world Matt, looks to be a good signing and should strengthen our team. The window so far has been a good one and Jose seems to building a team that could go out and win us something. At last

Excellent piece of business - PL proven, problem position for us, staggering low fee,...

If we can get a back-up CF in, then we'll have signed players in the areas which urgently needed addressing. Adding a CB or creative attacker would be the iceing on the cake

Opposition fans sarcastic comments on his signing 'Oh big ambition from Spurs' 'Let's hand them the title with all their massive signings'

I don't think any Spurs fan think this turns us into title contenders, with no war chest available these are sensible signings, upgrades in positions needed, home-grown quota improved.
All about one step at a time

Good business done so far...and un-Spurs like early

Opposition fans sarcastic comments on his signing 'Oh big ambition from Spurs' 'Let's hand them the title with all their massive signings'

I don't think any Spurs fan think this turns us into title contenders, with no war chest available these are sensible signings, upgrades in positions needed, home-grown quota improved.

Agreed, an Aurier's mistakes would have cost us a few points last season. Assuming Doherty would prevented them it could have made all the difference

Its not like we dont have quality in some positions - Kane, GLC, Son, Dele, Dier, Lloris...thats the spine of a team which could challenge for the title. Our problem has been that hte supporting cast has been too weak. If Hojbjerg and Doherty perform, it could make a massive difference

Good business done so far...and un-Spurs like early

Exactly. This is team building. Signing players in positions where we are weakest. Those positions (RB, DM) are ones you don't really fill with superstars anyway. Would be nice to get a big name or two but it's not all about marquee signings and we have top players in key positions anyway (Kane, Son, Alli if he can start playing, GLC, Hugo if he maintains the form of last season).

Here is a spider graph with Doherty's and Aurier direct goal contributions compared. Sadly I couldn't find anything with a wider range of statistical parameters.

I find it interesting that for two ostensibly attacking fullbacks their numbers differ much in the strong areas. Doherty appears to be more of the finisher of moves in the final third I. Comparison to Aurier's stats which bias him more to being involved in goals moreso than scoring them.
e7bd114b7a6c823531c7f8d028c21db1.jpg

The Image i incorrectly loinked earlier. All based on XG so how illustrative is it really when talking about RBs but we have seen how Mourinho has positioned AUrier very high up the pitch, maybe the intention is to keep the tactic but with a more suitable player.

upload

Remember seeing him play against us last season and thought he was a handful. Great signing imo

Doherty, tee, tee; Diddly diddly diddly dee.
Doherty, tee, tee; He's a yid like you and me.
To the left to the right; He’s our fullback Dynamite.
When he plays in Lilywhite; He makes Bellerin look brick.

Back