• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mateo Musacchio

It is possible that the new contract offer will see Villarreal buy out or at least settle, the third party ownership issues.

That's how I'd see it. The contract is all about making him 100% owned by Villarreal (based on whatever behind-the-scenes negotiations have been going on between the co-owners; who have presumably come to an agreement on how to split the transfer fee). Then Spurs can deal directly with Villarreal... and sign a contract that has hopefully already been drawn up and agreed-upon... without any of the shady third-party complications that can scupper premier league transfers very easily.

The other possibility is that the contract offer is a PR move so they can turn around to the fans and insist they did everything they could to make him stay, including an offer of an improved contract.

It is possible that the new contract offer will see Villarreal buy out or at least settle, the third party ownership issues.

thats not what Spurspanyol said though.....the new contract offer is to increase the players wages which has nothing to do what sell on clause Villarreal agreed to.

That's how I'd see it. The contract is all about making him 100% owned by Villarreal (based on whatever behind-the-scenes negotiations have been going on between the co-owners; who have presumably come to an agreement on how to split the transfer fee). Then Spurs can deal directly with Villarreal... and sign a contract that has hopefully already been drawn up and agreed-upon... without any of the shady third-party complications that can scupper premier league transfers very easily.

The other possibility is that the contract offer is a PR move so they can turn around to the fans and insist they did everything they could to make him stay, including an offer of an improved contract.

Could be. Not sure if it would be necessary for the player to sign a new contract just because the club signs over some of the ownership rights with 3rd party owners though?

Could also just be that Villareal are putting an offer out there to ensure that Musacchio, who so far has seemed pretty loyal to them, knows what his deal will be if he stays around and keep him happy going into the start of the season should the Spurs deal fail to materialize.

but it seems the problem all along has been the % sell on clauses to River Plate and the players agent. Spurs didnt offer enough so that Villareal are happy with their % and that is the deadlock. This new contract offer changes nothing imo.

Everyone has known that situation all along. Baldini is as experienced at dealing with third party ownership as anyone in the game.

My thought is that Villareal are trying to strike a deal with the other two owners - e.g. pay them £3m each upfront, rather than 1/3 of £17m (with clauses) spread over 4 years.

I know we didn't eventually sign him, but IIRC 18 or 24 months ago this is what happened with Leandro - he signed a new contract as part of Inter's buy-out of the third parties, purposely to enable a move to Europe.

thats not what Spurspanyol said though.....the new contract offer is to increase the players wages which has nothing to do what sell on clause Villarreal agreed to.

Has there been more news from Spurspanyol than what is posted on the previous page?

I don't see anything there there about the motivation behind Villarreal's offer... Might be my reading comprehension failing me, but I've read it 3 times now.

Both United and the Scum looking for CBs. This guys height (lack of) may work in our favour. Meaning they are looking elsewhere. I think it all depends on Kaboul. If he's impressing in training, looks fit and signs a new contract then I'm not sure we need another CB. Dier/ Verts/ Kaboul/ Chiricheș with Daws in the EL could be commanding. Selling the ageing Dawson and replacing him with this guy obviously makes sense but we would probably be looking to sell at least two of Kaboul/ Daws/ Chiricheș - which in itself could hold up the deal happening.

What do you base this statement upon?

I'm guessing GB is basing this on the number of deals from South America Baldini has completed whilst at Roma and Real Madrid.

I haven't taken the time to look into each of those deals to see if there were 3rd party ownership involved, but between Baldini and Levy I'm confident that if a favourable deal can be made they will make it happen.

Because he signed scores of players direct from South America for both Madrid and Roma.

But in those countries 3rd party ownership is allowed. Over here it isn't. I would hazard a guess that he has never tried to do this sort of deal before.

But in those countries 3rd party ownership is allowed. Over here it isn't. I would hazard a guess that he has never tried to do this sort of deal before.

Any transfer involving 3rd party owership is complex. When signing a player from South America and taking him to Spain or Italy as a minimum Baldini would've renegotiated the third party ownership percentages and in many cases he would've completely bought them out.

I am still pretty confident that the deal for the player will go ahead. The only way that he doesn't come to Spurs is if another club buy him instead. While there is talk that Villareal have offered him a new deal, their budget is far lower than ours and there is no way that they can get anywhere near to matching the money that he will earn at THFC. Don't Spain also have a punitive tax rate for high earners?

you know how Soldado is neither tall, strong or fast, he was known as simply an instinctive finisher.......well it looks like mustachio is the defensive equivalent. He is not tall, not that powerful, average pace, he is best quality is his instinctive interceptions :-k

you know how Soldado is neither tall, strong or fast, he was known as simply an instinctive finisher.......well it looks like mustachio is the defensive equivalent. He is not tall, not that powerful, average pace, he is best quality is his instinctive interceptions :-k

Good passer, apparently. Definitely not fast and not good in the air, but good passer and good reader of the game.

Good passer, apparently. Definitely not fast and not good in the air, but good passer and good reader of the game.
Soldado is decent on the ball too :).........what im trying to say is should we make such big compromises when spending such large amounts of money on strikers and centre halves as in these cases. Surely a lone striker needs to be at least strong in holding up the ball and fast, and a centre half in the PL needs first and foremost to be good in the air and also strong and quick

Soldado is decent on the ball too :).........what im trying to say is should we make such big compromises when spending such large amounts of money on strikers and centre halves as in these cases. Surely a lone striker needs to be at least strong in holding up the ball and fast, and a centre half in the PL needs first and foremost to be good in the air and also strong and quick

My personal view is that I partly agree with you: a centre-back in the PL does indeed need to be at least strong and good in the air to make it in the PL (doesn't necessarily have to be the quickest: see Demichelis, late-stage Vidic, Terry et al). You can have more variation in your options for a lone forward role (Van Persie at Arsenal wasn't good in the air or quick, but he was technically brilliant and great at finding space) but yes, a CB should ideally be tall, strong and quick if he wants to be a guaranteed success in the PL.

However, that's my personal view. And this summer, I've kept my personal views on who we buy to one side. If Poch wants a player, I want Levy to go for that player, and I won't judge that player based on my previous opinions of the viability of his signing. I'm fine with buying whoever Poch wants as long as said player is affordable: I figure that's what backing our manager means, ultimately.

There was a guy named Fabio Cannavaro that had the same qualities. He was for a period considered among the best CB in the world. Not comparing Musacchio with him, just saying.

Last edited:
Didn't someone mention some machine or technique Poch used with J Rod at Southampton which improved his leap hugely? Could Poch be thinking the same here?

You haven't got to be tall to be great in the air. For example, who was better in the air, Les Ferdinand or Peter Crouch??

Last edited:

Doesn't sound like-for-like if you ship out Dawson or Kaboul for this guy.
Kaboul/Dawson are both aerially dominant centre-halves, Kaboul has the physicality on the ground to go with that. You always need one of those type of defenders alongside a more elegant type who can bring the ball out. The bruiser tends to go up for headers while the other guy sweeps behind using his anticipation and positioning skills. Verthongen is that defender at the moment. This guy sounds too similar to Verthongen in my opinion.

Back