• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings

You don't pass up the oppurtunity to sign a player like lloris at that kind of price just because your current goal keeper has a year left in him - what happens next summer when we NEED to replace Friedel ? Clubs will jack up their prices and who knows if a player of his ability would be available - as for the rest ? WALOB

After the game I was upset about the late goal but then thought 3-1 away is a fantastic result. During the game I was effing and blinding about missing easy chances, Defoe's greed, sloppy loss of possession and wishing we still still had Corluka. Walker is gonna be a big player for us in the future but right now he is making mistakes.
But it is carping really. Fantastic result. I think we made Reading look poor and that ain't even our best XI.

I posted this on SC and think it is kind of interesting. These are the ratings that whoscored.com gave our players for this game, based on some sort of calculus they use and I'm not exactly sure what that is. Not exactly the order I would have put them in but here you go:

Defoe: 8.7
Sandro: 8.1
Bale: 8.1
Dembele: 7.8
Gallas: 7.5
Naughton: 7.4
Walker: 7.4
Vertonghen: 7.3
Lennon: 7.2
Sigurdsson: 6.5
Friedel: 6.0

Subs:
Hudd: 6.6
Townsend: 6.2
Dempsey: 6.0

For some reason subbed off/on players always have a much lower rating in the whoscored.com ratings.

I posted this on SC and think it is kind of interesting. These are the ratings that whoscored.com gave our players for this game, based on some sort of calculus they use and I'm not exactly sure what that is. Not exactly the order I would have put them in but here you go:

Subs:

For some reason subbed off/on players always have a much lower rating in the whoscored.com ratings.

Whatever calculus whoscored.com use,it is clearly bo**ocks! Naughton better than Verts, Friedel our "worst" player. WTF

I agreed with most ratings and comments given against Reading. The biggest disagreements seem to be on Sigg and Dembele. I personally thought that Sigg showed great potential to really get up and down (really what Jenas should have been doing all these years) and although his final ball/finish wasnt always great, he did give me a feeling of optimism for the future. I have no doubt that Dembele will be a big player for us. His effortless beating of players is a joy to watch and although it didnt come to anything on the pitch today, I am positive that it will prove massive dividends in the future.

Lennon (bar the assist fot the first goal, which was a great run and pull back) continues to disappoint. He was up against Harte, one of the oldest and slowest left backs around. He often found himself one on one with him yet failed time and again to take him on. I just cant fathom out why he delays when he receives the ball and doesnt immediately take the full back on. This was the ideal time to challenge him. We were outplaying Reading and there was no pressure on him. Why didnt he give it a go? With his pace he should have mullered Harte. A mystery to me why he never even tried.

Bale also had a quiet game for him. Did well for his goal and to take the players away for Defoes second, but otherwise quite anonymous. Agree with the comments on his haircut. Maybe his lack of locks drained his strength and stamina - rather like Sampson. Let it grow son.

Whatever calculus whoscored.com use,it is clearly bo**ocks! Naughton better than Verts, Friedel our "worst" player. WTF

I agreed with most ratings and comments given against Reading. The biggest disagreements seem to be on Sigg and Dembele. I personally thought that Sigg showed great potential to really get up and down (really what Jenas should have been doing all these years) and although his final ball/finish wasnt always great, he did give me a feeling of optimism for the future. I have no doubt that Dembele will be a big player for us. His effortless beating of players is a joy to watch and although it didnt come to anything on the pitch today, I am positive that it will prove massive dividends in the future.

Lennon (bar the assist fot the first goal, which was a great run and pull back) continues to disappoint. He was up against Harte, one of the oldest and slowest left backs around. He often found himself one on one with him yet failed time and again to take him on. I just cant fathom out why he delays when he receives the ball and doesnt immediately take the full back on. This was the ideal time to challenge him. We were outplaying Reading and there was no pressure on him. Why didnt he give it a go? With his pace he should have mullered Harte. A mystery to me why he never even tried.

Bale also had a quiet game for him. Did well for his goal and to take the players away for Defoes second, but otherwise quite anonymous. Agree with the comments on his haircut. Maybe his lack of locks drained his strength and stamina - rather like Sampson. Let it grow son.

Make no mistake about this. If Friedel continues to keep Lloris out of the first XI it won't be long before he is despised by a section of our fans who will do all they can to slag him off at every opportunity and blame him for everything.

Make no mistake about this. If Friedel continues to keep Lloris out of the first XI it won't be long before he is despised by a section of our fans who will do all they can to slag him off at every opportunity and blame him for everything.

This wasnt my quote. It was apparently done on some sort of metric by whoscored.com. I was using it as an example (along with Verts being worse than Naughton) as how flawed their reasoning must be. Friedel had hardly anything to do all game.

I think you are right though - some on here want Lloris in no matter what. And will use any excuse to undermine Friedel

Subs:

Just goes to show how clueless some people are.

I think you are right though - some on here want Lloris in no matter what. And will use any excuse to undermine Friedel

Im sorry but this view is nonsense and is a good point to higlight one of the biggest negatives to posting on football forums - some people just aren't happy unless theres a 'us vs them' debate - keane/defoe pro/anti redknapp and now it's being teed up for Friedel v Lloris - by one of the main instigators in the harry redknapp arguments over the past couple of seasons - funny how he's been doing exactly what he's moaning about here with AVB.

A lot of people think Lloris is potentially a world class keeper, if not one already - only natural that people want him in the first team as soon as possible - no need to start with all this flimflam about despising Friedel because he is keeping him out the team

Im sorry but this view is nonsense and is a good point to higlight one of the biggest negatives to posting on football forums - some people just aren't happy unless theres a 'us vs them' debate - keane/defoe pro/anti redknapp and now it's being teed up for Friedel v Lloris - by one of the main instigators in the harry redknapp arguments over the past couple of seasons - funny how he's been doing exactly what he's moaning about here with AVB.

A lot of people think Lloris is potentially a world class keeper, if not one already - only natural that people want him in the first team as soon as possible - no need to start with all this flimflam about despising Friedel because he is keeping him out the team

While Lloris may or may not be a world class goalkeeper (I havent seen him enough to form a judgement), I still think that some are wanting him in regardless. Indeed, you indicate that in your post. What I do say however is that this is unfair on Friedel who todate in my view has done nothing wrong and was in fact MoM against both WBA and Norwich. Those draws could well have been defeats without him. Lloris has to earn his place in the side that is all. Same as Ade shouldnt be playing "as of right" this season until he shows he has more to offer than Defoe, which is difficult at the moment given Defoe's current form and scoring record.

Judge players by form not reputation.

Pirate, I agree with you to an extent but for me it's not about Brad doing anything wrong - more with the fact Lloris is the better keeper and better player for that position.

If we signed Falcao tomorrow - would you keep him on the bench behind JD simply because he scored a couple of goals?

Besides - Billy simply outlined the divise tone and nature of the previous post by someone who is the master of that

Last edited:
Pirate, I agree with you to an extent but for me it's not about Brad doing anything wrong - more with the fact Lloris is the better keeper and better player for that position.

If we signed Falcao tomorrow - would you keep him on the bench behind JD simply because he scored a couple of goals?

Besides - Billy simply outlined the divise tone and nature of the previous post by someone who is the master of that

I understand what you are saying Arc but I just dont like a knee jerk reaction. Like in Animal Farm - two legs bad, four legs good - it doesnt necessarily mean that new players are better than existing players. I havent seen much of Lloris and therefore reserve judgement on him until he has performed in the Premiership. There are plenty of goalkeepers (just ask Fergie) who have great reputations elsewhere but fail to perform in the Premiership for whatever reason. I sincerely hope that Lloris isnt one of them, but would hate to throw out the baby(Friedel!!) with the bathwater until we are really sure.

To answer your other point, I would put in Falcao as soon as JD stopped banging in the goals. Maybe accomodate them with a half each at the beginning. Or change formation to accomodate them both. Like it or not, we are in an era of the squad and rotation and clever use of all players is part of the game now - something I was critical of he who shall not be named was guilty of. Goalkeepers are in a slightly different position because there is only one of them in a team and they do not suffer from fatigue in the same way as outfield players - hence Brads record of continuous appearances. I would put Lloris in tomorrow night against Lazio and see how he performs in the team before making any sort of judgement as to who should play against QPR. Fair?

I note your last point!!

Last edited:

Defoe: 8.7 8.13
Sandro: 8.1 7.32
Bale: 8.1 6.50
Dembele: 7.8 7.39
Gallas: 7.5 6.84
Naughton: 7.4 5.93
Walker: 7.4 6.36
Vertonghen: 7.3 7.68
Lennon: 7.2 6.76
Sigurdsson: 6.5 6.34
Friedel: 6.0 6.13

Subs:
Hudd: 6.6 6.50

I've put in bold the ratings here.

I understand what you are saying Arc but I just dont like a knee jerk reaction. Like in Animal Farm - two legs bad, four legs good - it doesnt necessarily mean that new players are better than existing players. I havent seen much of Lloris and therefore reserve judgement on him until he has performed in the Premiership. There are plenty of goalkeepers (just ask Fergie) who have great reputations elsewhere but fail to perform in the Premiership for whatever reason. I sincerely hope that Lloris isnt one of them, but would hate to throw out the baby(Friedel!!) with the bathwater until we are really sure.

To answer your other point, I would put in Falcao as soon as JD stopped banging in the goals. Maybe accomodate them with a half each at the beginning. Or change formation to accomodate them both. Like it or not, we are in an era of the squad and rotation and clever use of all players is part of the game now - something I was critical of he who shall not be named was guilty of. Goalkeepers are in a slightly different position because there is only one of them in a team and they do not suffer from fatigue in the same way as outfield players - hence Brads record of continuous appearances. I would put Lloris in tomorrow night against Lazio and see how he performs in the team before making any sort of judgement as to who should play against QPR. Fair?

I note your last point!!

For me it really is about earning the shirt, and rewarding those playing well with a place in the team. If Defoe is playing well and scoring goals, then Ade has to be patient on the bench. If Defoe has a stinker, Ade comes on and saves the day then Ade deserves to start the next game and Defoe then has to be patient. It really is that simple.

As for the last point, I presume it was aimed at me (hard to tell as I have him blocked....thankfully), but it's often the case that evidence is glossed over by certain posters. Lloris signs, Friedel keeps him out of the team and all of a sudden Friedel is the lowest rated player for that match. Doesn't take a genius to work it out really does it....

Here the ratings, I tally up the TFC forum as well and can't be arsed to split it from the screenshots so hope noone minds.

wLAsi.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like were a little more critical on this site. Bar Gallas and Hudd the GG average is lower for each player.

GG does tend to be a more miserable bunch, this is true ;) but in all seriousness it's a combination of TFC being more positive generally as well so the total average I feel is a good representation.

Back