• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings

I think Dembele didn't have the best game. His dribbling past people was impressive but not much came from it, and he gave the ball away very easily.That said, I think it was just that he had a sub par day at the office, and hopefully won't happen often. His second half performance was better than his first

siggy, uncomposed, one good pass, but against a better team we would have been destroyed - 4

Friedel 6
Walker 6 - lucky not to give away a stupid penalty
Gallas 7.5
Vertonghen 8
Naughton 5.5 - gave away a lot of silly frees
Lennon 7
Dembele 8
Sandro 7.5
Sig 7 - good dead ball delivery too
Bale 6.5
Defoe 8 - great finishing

Don't think Naughton, Bale and Sig deserved 7s, but each to their own.

Fair enough... we deservedly won today. We had by far the greater amount of possession and 'pressure' today. We had a bit of a 'we can get another for fun' aura about us today, we always looked as if we would score, I think a great improvement perhaps time to think positively again. :)

Last edited:
Friedel - 6. Easiest game he's had in a while. Not really sure he did anything wrong for the goal. Has a tendency to punt it when not under a lot of pressure and there's a CB available.

Walker - 6. Very solid game ruined by one drop in concentration.

Gallas - 7.5 Good game for Gallas. Defended well when we l came under pressure near the end.
Vertonghen - 8 Very composed game and I still believe he is playing within himself. Faster than I thought too.
Naughton -6 Just a few rash moments but overall a good performance

Dembele - 7.5 He played a little deeper at times than I expected, maybe under instruction. I can see him being my new fav player at some point.
Sandro - 8 played the DM role superbly today. Nothing too adventurous.
Sigurdsson - 6 Needs to move the ball on quicker on occasion and his shooting and set piece delivery wasn't great either. Great pass to Lennon though. Still has to win me over.

Lennon -6.5 Good game but I know he can do a little better. Needed to get a Harte a bit more.
Bale - 6 Sort of annoyed me today. I thought he had a poor first half characterised by lack of effort on occasion. Had some good moments but I know he can do better. Got the monkey off his back (he he) with the goal.
Defoe - 7.5 Great game from him. Maybe he should have laid it off on two occasions that I can recall, but he's not going to change now. Unfortunately that is why he'll never be considered a 'great' striker. Was he offside today?

Subs;

Huddlestone -6.5 Used the ball well and one lovely bit of skill from a throw in to lose two reading players.
Dempsey - NA
Townsend - NA

Beating ANY team away from home in the Premiership is a very good result, and it was nice to see a comfortable performance from us. Reading were atrocious though, but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

Also very pleased to see AVB rewarding performances with starts rather than just throw in the new boys straight away just to justify their purchase.

Friedel 6 : Nothing he could do about the goal, and other than that pretty quiet game.

Walker 6 : Hit and miss performance for me. Good assist, but at fault for their goal. Got caught in possession a few times too.

Gallas 7 : Didn't have much to do but generally defended well.

Verts 7 : Looked very self assured on the ball and defended well too.

Naughton 6 : Nervous first 20 minutes but fortunately the opposition were so poor he wasn't punished. Grew in confidence as the game went on but gave away a couple of silly fouls and could have done better in the build up to their goal.

Lennon 7 : Looked very lively and worked harder than last time out.

Sandro 7 : Back to his old self, but a little sloppy in possession at times.

Sigurdsson 6 : Nice through ball for our first but was a bit lightweight and wasteful sometimes. Missed a sitter.

Dembele 7 : Excellent first half, retaining possession under pressure. Was also a bit wasteful with the ball and had a quieter second half.

Bale 6 : Lucky goal, but worked hard and made a great run to confuse the defenders for our third goal. He was often in space and not found.

Defoe 8 : Two goals, one excellent, but also linked a bit better and worked very hard closing down Reading defenders......which paid dividends for goal number three and almost got us another goal in the first half.

Subs all 6.

AVB : 8 - Glad to see us play a more adventurous midfield and that he rewarded decent performances last time round with starts. Sends a good signal out to players that even if you are keeping someone high profile out the team if you play well you keep your shirt. My only slight criticism is that we did play the ball too long for no reason on occassions from the back. Especially from Verts.

Lots of mentions about Sigurdsson's pass to Lennon in the build-up in the build-up for the first goal.

Was it.....Modric-esque...?8-[

Lots of mentions about Sigurdsson's pass to Lennon in the build-up in the build-up for the first goal.

Was it.....Modric-esque...?8-[

More the sort of ball that Corluka used to play. Defoe played a similar ball too. So it was pretty obvious I think the players had been told to target Harte and play the ball behind him and trust Lennon to run on to it.

Reading were a shambles defensively we should have had it wrapped up by half time. Verts is class and will be captain by next season, quality signing who has settled quickly.

Brad 7

Walker 6
Gallas 7
Vertronghen 8 (Motm)
Naughton 7

Lennon 6
Sandro 7
Dembele 7
Bale 7

Siggurdson 6

Defoe 8

Verthongen - big thumbs up. Excellent game, looks very composed on the ball and is great in the air. In some situations he looked like King, controlling the ball and looking for a pass instead of hoofing it long. I am certain he will be a great player for us for years.

Other good mentions for Defoe who took his goals brilliantly, and Sandro who had a great day for us in midfield. The rest had decent to good games, I think. Dembele in particular was positive. Sigurdsson lacked in his decision making, but he gets into space and will score goals for us when he starts to play better. Parker will certainly struggle to get back into the team, I think.

Overall a very positive performance, although we were sloppy at times and lucky to not concede a penalty at 0-0. But I am very happy with the result. Now we are three points off third, and our season is back on track - another win next weekend, and all should be good!

How the hell can you blame Freidel for thier goal? He has to cover the near post in case the guy shoots.

Exactly the goal was not the keepers fault. The blame goes 100% to Walker who let his man go.

Friedel on the other hand has been a great signing for us, who has been pretty solid all round. People should show a little more respect before shoving him out to door for our new signing.

Even before the guy crosses, hes already off his line not knowing what hes up to. Have another look mate.

Is this going to happen every week? FFS he gives them the ball back everytime he has it! He should be a back up.

You need to go to specsavers, especially if your saying you've seen the footage again and still pass the blame to Brad.

Back