• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Match Ratings

More the sort of ball that Corluka used to play. Defoe played a similar ball too. So it was pretty obvious I think the players had been told to target Harte and play the ball behind him and trust Lennon to run on to it.

Hmmm...interesting. I like the planning. I'm hoping by the time we play Arsenal Jenkinson is still in the team and we target him similarly..

Exactly the goal was not the keepers fault. The blame goes 100% to Walker who let his man go.

Friedel on the other hand has been a great signing for us, who has been pretty solid all round. People should show a little more respect before shoving him out to door for our new signing.

Always hated the double standards fans often show players. They make a big song and dance about players betraying us by wanting to move on to, whether we like to admit or not, better and bigger clubs and yet are always keen to offload first team players they don't deem good enough or because that player is keeping out a favourite of theirs from the first team.

Thought Verts, Dembele, Sandro and Defoe were impressive... Verts in particular just oozes class. Still think Siggy needs to contribute a bit more, the assist aside.

Always hated the double standards fans often show players. They make a big song and dance about players betraying us by wanting to move on to, whether we like to admit or not, better and bigger clubs and yet are always keen to offload first team players they don't deem good enough or because that player is keeping out a favourite of theirs from the first team.

If Man UTD came in for Friedel I wouldn't begrudge him moving for one last shot at the big time; but Lloris is a world class keeper and an international captain who is only in his mid twenties. It would be like signing Kompany and asking him to win William Gallas' place in the team.

Friedel 6,5 - Had very little to do. Don't see him being at fault for the goal as some people suggest. Kicking not great, but it never has been.

Walker 7,25 - Allow me to be the first (I think) to give him credit for a fine assist for Bale's goal. He was lucky to get away with his handball in the first half, but I thought he had a good game. As usual good one on one defensively, and also got forward well to support the attack. The goal went in on his side, but I am not sure what happened in the build-up to that goal as the camera was focused on a Defoe close-up. I think we might have lost the ball on our way forward, and he never got back in time.

Gallas 7 - Good solid defensive performance.

Vertonghen 8 - His best performance so far, albeit his least challenging one. I thought he did well early on in the second half though when Reading put us under a bit of pressure. He won some important headers in the box and dealt well with runs in his defensive zone.

Naughton 6,25 - I thought he started the game with some good attacking involvements. He distributed the ball well in Reading's half. Later on I thought he too often went backwards when in possession though. Perhaps a consequence of being a right footer on the left hand side. Struggled a bit with McCleary in the first half one on one, and gave away a couple of needless free kicks.

Sandro 7,5 - A strong defensive performance. Broke up play numerous times and was also neat and tidy on the ball which is pretty much all we can expect from him in that side of the game. Gave away a couple of needless free kics in the first half.

Dembele 7,5 - Not a spectacular performance, but a very effective one. Like Sandro, he was strong defensively. Used his strength to his advantage in the physical battles and managed to win the ball back for us. Better than I thought he was in that part of the game. In possession he passed the ball around well and I love the way he effortlessly glides past opponents.

Lennon 7 - Good run and assist for Defoe's first goal. I'd like to see him making more runs like that in behind defenses. He was a threat throughout the game, but I thought he could have made more out of a few opportunties. Undecisive at times and made the wrong choice on the ball other times in good positions.

Sigurdsson 6,5 - Excellent pass for Lennon in the build-up to the first goal. It was his best performance for us so far, but I am still not convinced. He tends to need too much time on the ball, and often loses possession in crowded areas. He needs to retain possession better when playing in that position. He does have creative abilities though.

Bale 7 - A very quiet first half performance. More involved in the second half as we got opportunities on the counter-attack. Slightly lucky goal, but who cares.

Defoe 9 - Top class performance today. Good movement, always alert and held the ball up well when necessary. Could have scored more, but I am happy with two.

Huddlestone 7 - Did well after coming on, and provided me with two of my favourite moments of the game. The first one a dummy that completely fooled two Reading players. The second one a crossfield pass that seemed more effortless to him than it is getting butter out of the fridge for most people.

Friedel 6 - Maybe a bit at fault for the goal, but the whole defence were sleeping too.

Walker 6 - Looks tired, probably from the internationals. Not his best but solid defending, except for that goal.

Gallas 6 - not really tested but saved one just in front of goal, so still putting his experience to good effect. However I think we sit too deep and don't get out fast enough with Gallas (and Friedel) around.

Vertonghen 8 - Bona fide King replacement. I'd like to see him get that armband end of this season. Accomplished, calm and ball playing. However I suspect that he will be at his best marshalling the defence as the last man. Would love to see him with Daws/Kaboul instead a Gallas that is permanently rooted behind him.

Naughton 6 - Very good technical player. Good going forewards, great at possession football. Got bullied a number of times and falls for the foul too many times.

Sandro 7 - Getting back to his best, great strength and mentality, solid presence in the centre.

Dembele 8 - This was the guy that made it work for us today. Composed and even superior display of control in the centre of the park. Kept the whole Reading team guessing and they couldn't settle.

Lennon 7 - Same old lennon for me. Credit for the assis but definitely can do more damage.

Sigurdsson 7 - Put his great engine to use. Believe Siggy was tactically deployed to use his engine to get involved in both defending and attacking. was everywhere supporting plays with neat 1-2s, tackling and bring the ball forwards. Pretty much spent by the 60 min mark and was subbed - after doing what he was supposed to day.

Bale 7 - Like Siggy, believe he was tactically deployed, but across of the width of the pitch instead to support the attack, cause mayhem with his runs etc.

(Siggurdson + Bale = chaos from the oppositions point of view)

Defoe 8 - Good goals, don't blame him for being selfish, but he should have more shots on target.

Huddlestone 7 - Still looks like he needs a few games to get fully fit, but arrived at a time when we had run the Reading team ragged. Very nice touches and vision as only Thudd could, and good to see that his telepathy with lennon still intact after being out for so long.

Townsend/Dempsey - not enough time to rate.

AVB 9 - good strategy, tactics, subs. Read reading like a book.

Overall:
Attack: 7 - too many squandered chances and half chances, too many shots not hitting the target
Midfield: 8 - best to watch in the EPL right now. bale and siggy have great engines, dembele super skillful in attack and defence, sandro a monster.
Defence: 6 - still plenty of work to do. there's hope with Kaboul, Lloris and Dawson as options.

Last edited:
Gareth Bale's Haircut - 1

fudging sort it out son, what's with the mullet / skinny douche sideburns? you are not and never will be cristiano ronaldo.

Brad - 6 - A little shaky on goal, distribution not great, but calm throughout
Walker 5 - Poor positioning in general especially for goal
Gallas - 6 - Decent
Vertonghen - 7 - Strong at back, good coming forward
Dembele - 8 - A beast, ghosts past people for fun
Sandro - 8 - Rock solid
Lennon - 6 - Good assist, got into good positions, but not much end product
Sigurdsson - 7 - Great movement, let down by people not laying off when in good positions. Great pass for first goal
Bale - 7 - Some penetrating runs and good movement
Defoe - 8 - Great finishes, but so greedy. Lucky not to be punished on another day

Naughton?

Double the amount of votes already after a win. Lots of new voters, welcome. Feel free to vote when we lose or draw also :)

Last edited:
Bard - 6 - nothing to do

Naughton - 6 - some neat passing
Gallas - 6 - ok
Vertonghen - 7 - some great defensive interecptoins
Walker - 6 - not his finest game

Dembele - 7 - kept things going
Lenon - 7 - a threat throughou
Bale - 7 - neat goal
Sandro - 7 - solid display
Sigurdsson - 7 - great range of passing

Defoe - 8 - grabbed a brace

Last edited:
Some of these ratings are shocking? We battered a team away from home. Some of you are too hard to please

Friedel - 7 not much to do really, can't be faulted for the goal
Naughton - 7 thought he did well, didn't get forward as much as BAE but looked solid at the back
Gallas - 7 solid
Vertonghen - 8 thought he was excellent
Walker - 7 better game lost his man for the goal though
Dembele - 7 love seeing him glide right past players at ease
Sandro - 8 immense today
Lennon - 6 thought he wasted a lot of very good opportunities final ball lets him down way too often still think he'd be better as a sub
Bale - 7.5 was always a threat
Siggy - 6 not his best, although he got himself in some good positions where people should have gotten him the ball
Defoe - 8.5 MOM excellent display

If Man UTD came in for Friedel I wouldn't begrudge him moving for one last shot at the big time; but Lloris is a world class keeper and an international captain who is only in his mid twenties. It would be like signing Kompany and asking him to win William Gallas' place in the team.
More likely Utd will come for Lloris, which is to say not that likely. Brad is in his swan song season I would guess.

The way I look at it AVB appears to be rewarding performances with starts, which is as it should be. If Brad manages to keep Lloris on the sidelines for however amount of games that means he's playing at a near world class level - zero defects. Lloris will be an amazing signing, but as of now AVB would send the completely wrong message to the team if he dropped Brad from the starting line up.

More likely Utd will come for Lloris, which is to say not that likely. Brad is in his swan song season I would guess.

The way I look at it AVB appears to be rewarding performances with starts, which is as it should be. If Brad manages to keep Lloris on the sidelines for however amount of games that means he's playing at a near world class level - zero defects. Lloris will be an amazing signing, but as of now AVB would send the completely wrong message to the team if he dropped Brad from the starting line up.

I thought at the time Lloris was a strange signing and a year too early. I can only see two scenarios. He doesn't live up to the hype and flops. He does live up to the hype and after a couple of seasons demands a move. Hopefully it's the latter and his performances will at least be good enough to help us back into the CL or at least add a nice wad of cash to his value.

I thought at the time Lloris was a strange signing and a year too early. I can only see two scenarios. He doesn't live up to the hype and flops. He does live up to the hype and after a couple of seasons demands a move. Hopefully it's the latter and his performances will at least be good enough to help us back into the CL or at least add a nice wad of cash to his value.

I'm sure I heard AVB (in his pre-Reading press conf maybe) say that Lloris was in some ways an opportunistic signing, which is fair enough. As you say if he does very well for Spurs then the big boys will come sniffing.

That's exactly what I see happening. As long as he plays well while he's here then it's all good. There's no point in sugar coating it, we will always be a stepping stone for players and managers until we establish ourselves in the top 4. Christ, even Arsenal struggle to keep hold of players and they are a CL guarantee every season.

Why a year too early?

We could see last season with De Gea for United the importance of having two good goalkeepers when blooding a goalkeeper that is new to the league. They lucked out a bit with Lindegaard being as good as he it, but even so he was no Van Der Saar. Had United signed De Gea two years ago instead of last summer so that he could have been given the chance to adapt without being the first choice from the get go that could easily have been enough to win them the league.

Also, had we not signed him this summer he might not have been available next summer. We were in need of a really good goalkeeper sooner or later. Key word being "or", when a keeper AVB really rated became available it was better to bring him in then and there instead of being under pressure a year (or two) from now where we might have to pay way over the odds or not get our man and make do with someone not quite good enough. Again United could be used as an example with their situation post Schmeichel.

Your two scenario thing seems like a false dichotomy to me, surely there is some middle part there where he doesn't become a flop, but without being good enough to demand a move to a top club.

Why a year too early?
We could see last season with De Gea for United the importance of having two good goalkeepers when blooding a goalkeeper that is new to the league. They lucked out a bit with Lindegaard being as good as he it, but even so he was no Van Der Saar. Had United signed De Gea two years ago instead of last summer so that he could have been given the chance to adapt without being the first choice from the get go that could easily have been enough to win them the league.

Also, had we not signed him this summer he might not have been available next summer. We were in need of a really good goalkeeper sooner or later. Key word being "or", when a keeper AVB really rated became available it was better to bring him in then and there instead of being under pressure a year (or two) from now where we might have to pay way over the odds or not get our man and make do with someone not quite good enough. Again United could be used as an example with their situation post Schmeichel.

Your two scenario thing seems like a false dichotomy to me, surely there is some middle part there where he doesn't become a flop, but without being good enough to demand a move to a top club.

Because our current goalkeeper is more than sufficient for where we need to be.

You are working under the assumption we will be competitive this year. I don't believe we will be. So I believe next Summer Lloris (who apparently wasn't delighted to be joining us even BEFORE AVB has said that Friedel is number one in the Premiership) will be looking to depart and the only possible way he may want to stay is if we are in the CL. I don't believe we will be top four this year.

Back