• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mario Gomez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the usual Tottenham type of bid. Without CL football to offer I think these type of guys are out of our range. With just the offer of EL on a Thursday night, we're probably more likley to be able to tempt the likes of Aruna Kone

Sounds more like the usual tabloid tripe with no roots whatsoever in reality.

Gomez is no better than what we've got. We need to be looking for players that are far more fast and mobile. He's an Arsenal type striker signing.

Gomez is no better than what we've got. We need to be looking for players that are far more fast and mobile. He's an Arsenal type striker signing.

Yep, let's not go for players who would fit into a team that finishes ahead of us every year. We probably shouldn't sign David Villa. He'd fit in so much better at Chelsea. Bernard at United. If we are offered Messi, I think we should pass. He fits in better at Barca, probably wouldn't benefit us as much as he does them.

We'd have got 3rd if Giroud was up front for us this season. Also, as for Gomez being "no better than what we've got", when was the last time one of our players scored goals as regularly as he does? Gary Lineker? Clive Allen? Jimmy Greaves?

We'd have got 3rd if Giroud was up front for us this season. Also, as for Gomez being "no better than what we've got", when was the last time one of our players scored goals as regularly as he does? Gary Lineker? Clive Allen? Jimmy Greaves?

Bale?

Sounds like the usual Tottenham type of bid. Without CL football to offer I think these type of guys are out of our range. With just the offer of EL on a Thursday night, we're probably more likley to be able to tempt the likes of Aruna Kone

Actually sounds like the usual flimflam made up bid. Gomez at 7m?! seriously.. this is a 35-40 goal a season striker. Not last season, 'only' 19 (11 in 21 league games tho), but the seasons before 39 and 41.

If he were to be sold, it wouldn't be for 7m. Crazy. It would be at least twice that.

Anyway, Dortmund have said that Lewandowski will not be sold to Bayern in 2013 - which may mean January or he leaves on a free at the end of the season unless they persuade him otherwise - so probably means that Gomez will not be sold unless Bayern find another forward to chase.

I don't quite know if he is better or not, he's a conundrum. His 'stats' are good, but whenever i've watched Bayern in the CL over the past few years he's been no better than Defoe, it's just that the team he plays for creates brick loads more chances for him than we would.

:lol:

Giroud and Podolski would walk in to our team

Giroud would, mostly because we only have two strikers and one of them didn't fire for most of the season. Podolski is no better than Dempsey or Siggurdsson, so i don't see why he'd walk in. He spent the entire season playing on the left, so that's where i'll compare him.

Honestly the mind boggles. People are debating whether Gomez is better than Defoe? Why is he so criminally underrated on here?

Madness. When was the last time Defoe scored 30 - 40 goals in a season? Oh, I remember, 31 and never scored 20 in the top flight.

Maybe its because his all round game is so good that he is better than Gomez - because it certainly isn't his goal scoring record.

And Gomez definitely isn't better than Adebayor. I mean how many did he bang in last year - 5? 6??

Absolutely insane.

If you're reffering to my post, I was asking because I have only seen him play two or three times, and have no idea how good he is. Listening to the people on here though he is either fantastic, or about on defoes level but with much better service. His stats alone make me think he's awsome, but again I don't know.

Honestly the mind boggles. People are debating whether Gomez is better than Defoe? Why is he so criminally underrated on here?

Madness. When was the last time Defoe scored 30 - 40 goals in a season? Oh, I remember, 31 and never scored 20 in the top flight.

Maybe its because his all round game is so good that he is better than Gomez - because it certainly isn't his goal scoring record.

And Gomez definitely isn't better than Adebayor. I mean how many did he bang in last year - 5? 6??

Absolutely insane.

Not saying Defoe would have scored 40 goals in that Bayern team but playing with Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, etc. he would have easily broken 20.

Ignore the goals for the moment. What does Gomez offer our team, finishing aside?

If we were offered Gomez at £7m I would take him but I'd hope we would sign another striker too.

We've all been scarred by Gomez' CL exploits, but I have seen him play where he has absolutely destroyed teams with his finishing. As far as I can see he is all about being in the right place at the right time and when on his game he is devastating. He would thrive on the supply we could give him from out wide (if Bale played wide too). When is the last time we had someone attack crosses into the box?
When not on his game he offers little else though. He might be a big game bottler/flat track bully but I could live with that. I would see him as an upgrade on Defoe and the 7mil price tag just seems way too little for a player of his calibre.

We've all been scarred by Gomez' CL exploits, but I have seen him play where he has absolutely destroyed teams with his finishing. As far as I can see he is all about being in the right place at the right time and when on his game he is devastating. He would thrive on the supply we could give him from out wide (if Bale played wide too). When is the last time we had someone attack crosses into the box?
When not on his game he offers little else though. He might be a big game bottler/flat track bully but I could live with that. I would see him as an upgrade on Defoe and the 7mil price tag just seems way too little for a player of his calibre.

I guess champions league semi final vs Barcelona isn't a very big game?

Not saying Defoe would have scored 40 goals in that Bayern team but playing with Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, etc. he would have easily broken 20.

Ignore the goals for the moment. What does Gomez offer our team, finishing aside?

If we were offered Gomez at £7m I would take him but I'd hope we would sign another striker too.

Ade and Defoe don't offer goals though. Do we want a striker who is lethal, or one who tracks back and slide tackles people?

Ignore the 40 goals he scored in a season ???? :ross:

Er, no. He's a striker!!!! He is employed to score goals.

Last edited:
I'd cream myself if we signed Gomez, which we won't. People who are seriously comparing him to Defoe/Ade in the context of him not being better than those-two need their head shaking.

He's played consistently at the top level for Germany/Bayern and scored bucket-loads at every level. He had one bad game personally which happened to be a major world-televised final and his hat-ful of missed chances happened to mean we as a club missed out significantly, so that game is permanently ingrained into our minds, however he is a genuinely top-level goal-scorer.

Ade and Defoe don't offer goals though. Do we want a striker who is lethal, or one who tracks back and slide tackles people?

Ignore the 40 goals he scored in a season ???? :ross:

Er, no. He's a striker!!!! He is employed to score goals.

EXACTLY! We don't need anything other than goals.

We have Bale & Lennon in the team plus next season Townsend & Carroll. Dembele would probably pick out more passes if he had someone with Gomez's movement upfront.

We have loads of players that could spend all day just banging crosses onto Gomez's head. All we need is a striker that moves and finishes, rather than one that spends most of his time fannying about on the half-way line (Ade) or one that spends half his time off-side, another half of his time moaning at players for not passing to him when he was double-marked and then goes on a streaky-run of banging in 10 goals before dissapearing for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back