• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch 2013/14

Gattuso sacked by Palermo after just six games. He was sacked by Swiss side Sion in May after 2.5 months in charge.

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini is famous in Italy for firing coaches. The club have changed manager 32 times since 2000.

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini is famous in Italy for firing coaches. The club have changed manager 32 times since 2000.

Can you imagine how he would react if he was playing FM and got fired lol but what kind of contract is he giving them if he is not worried about compensation/unfair dismissal...

Paolo di Canio was hired as a man of steel... if only the club had shown some mettle

Dan Jones
Published: 26 September 2013
Updated: 09:30, 26 September 2013

So I suppose now we know how fascism begins: they start by taking away the ketchup. I am talking, of course, about Paolo di Canio, sacked this week as head coach of Sunderland for a long list of offences, most of which can be filed under the sub-heading ‘Being Paolo di Canio’.

Under this sub-heading come specific misdemeanours, ranging from ‘not being sufficiently competent or experienced to manage a struggling Premier League side’ to ‘upsetting people by being an intolerant control freak’ and, fatally, ‘being generally unsympathetic to the emotional concerns of mediocre players earning salaries way beyond the merit of their talent’.

Having won only three of 13 games in charge of Sunderland and showing very little sign of improving the ratio, I suppose there was a case for replacing the Italian, as Sunderland’s owner Ellis Short did this week.

The problem is that Short appears to have whacked Di Canio not after a considered period of reflection or even perseverance but after a group of players mutinied, boo-hooing to the club’s chief executive about “brutal” and “vitriolic” criticism. I rather hope the club understand why there are not an awfully large number of excellent candidates lining up to take the job.

As you may recall, when Di Canio was appointed back in April there was the most godawful racket: a hysterical debate about whether “a fascist” should be in charge of an English football club, as though Di Canio was not just quite a severe man with some (private and/or disavowed) right-wing beliefs but a living expression of neo-fascist evil — Mussolini reincarnate, Uncle Jack from Breaking Bad, the very personification of the reason grandpa fought Hitler.

Of course, the point is Di Canio was hired specifically to stamp a bit of fascistic discipline on Sunderland. Some of the greatest managers in the history of football have been defined by their unpleasantly authoritarian approach to management: the ‘hairdryer’, let us say, is not the tool of the progressive liberal left.

Sunderland had decided that since the softly-softly approach of Martin O’Neill was about to catchee relegationy, it was time for something different. This was a shift in management styles, as a character from The Thick Of It once memorably said, “from touchy-feely to smashy-testes”.

And what the club desired, they got. Military discipline, atomic rollickings in public for underperforming players, strict and petty rules, a rigid hierarchy of precedence around the training ground.

It all seems to be summed up by Di Canio’s canteen rules: no coffee, no mobile phones, no Coca-Cola. Apparently, most galling to a group of well-paid athletes, the ketchup (typical sugar content 23 per cent, typical sodium content seven per cent) and mayonnaise (typical fat content 71 per cent) were taken away. In other words, this was six months in boot camp but not like when they go to Barbados on the X Factor.

It turns out that players today do not like being told what to do and told off in public when they don’t do it. At Sunderland they began very swiftly to bleat about the “sanctity of the dressing room” being violated by the televised tellings-off; then ran to the boss’s boss to demand that the nasty man was taken away.

What is wholly bemusing is that the players were given an audience. Chief executive Margaret Byrne and Short appear to have had an attack of the funk and sacked Di Canio for doing exactly what they had employed him to do in the first place. We can leap around and whistle ‘told you so’ as much as we like but it is no good for football when the monkey bites the organ grinder.

No one with an ounce of sense or pride can surely wish to touch the Sunderland job. The club have been through five managers in five years, with no apparent consistency in purpose or vision, and it is stocked with a group of hastily assembled and not enormously good players who have just been shown that they can effect regime change by yelping about their self-esteem.

On the other hand, I guess football is a business swelled by people with considerably less than an ounce of sense and an equal number who find that pride is easily swallowed in return for a nice, fat contract. I’m sure by the time you read this Sunderland will have appointed a new boss, who will be gone within 12 months.

Di Canio, meanwhile, stands alone and bewildered: the professional a******e sacked for being too a******e-ish. I mean, what’s a fella to do?

He does have a point.

He does have a point.

If he does I'm not sure what it is.

Sunderland are not a well run club?

Di Canio did what everyone expected him to do so it wasn't his fault?

The Second Captains football podcast presented some stories about Di Canio that were to me shocking. Listen to that pod for more details, but stories like him refusing to include the medical staff in the team photo for the first time in 20 years, banning his players from interacting with any non-playing staff at the club on matchdays (imagine those awkward moments coming into the ground) and delaying Fletcher's comeback into full first team training by a week because Di Canio saw him smiling during his work with physios/fitness coaches!

Just watched the pre-match press conference with AVB (in the omt), once again he spoke about how he and his staff sat down to reflect on what had gone wrong after he got the sack at Chelsea. How he wanted to learn from what had happened to see what could be done differently in the future.

Di Canio has a fraction of AVB's experience and none of AVB's success so far. Do you think he will take the same humble, professional approach? Or will he take the same approach as that apologetic article took "standing alone and bewildered [...] what's a fella to do?" No way to know, but my money is on the second of those.

More Di Caniio did what was expected so they shouldn't be surprised. The Sunderland owners hired an unpredictable authoritarian to save them from relegation. They got an unpredictable authoritarian and he behaved in an unpredictable manner. Unpredictable people do. I don't think the article is saying Di Canio doesn't deserve blame for the bad start, just that they shouldn't be surprised by his unpredictability. It's also not saying sacking him wasn't justified, just that sacking him because the players complained sets a bad precedent.

More Di Caniio did what was expected so they shouldn't be surprised. The Sunderland owners hired an unpredictable authoritarian to save them from relegation. They got an unpredictable authoritarian and he behaved in an unpredictable manner. Unpredictable people do. I don't think the article is saying Di Canio doesn't deserve blame for the bad start, just that they shouldn't be surprised by his unpredictability. It's also not saying sacking him wasn't justified, just that sacking him because the players complained sets a bad precedent.

But it's a pretty standard procedure is it not? Doesn't really set a precedent, it just continues it.

Like it or not, but losing the dressing room is, was, and will continue to be a massive problem for any manager. If the players don't trust or respect the manager then he will struggle to get his ideas across and that will be a problem both long and short term. In a way at that point it doesn't matter whose fault it was (although in this case I think it's pretty clear), as long as the dressing room is lost either a wholesale change of players or a change of manager is often going to be in order. At this stage after a summer player change like they had and being this long from a transfer window there's no other option than going for the manager's position.

To me it seems perfectly rational to think that Di Canio was on the brink and that the players expressing that they didn't like/trust him or whatever put him over the edge and so he was fired. Just like it would be perfectly rational to stick with a manager that might not be delivering the wanted short term results, but who had the trust and respect of the dressing room. I think Martinez at Wigan could be a decent example of the latter of those.

Hiring him was a long shot for sure, as many pointed out at the time. It didn't go terribly bad at the end of last season, but overall it didn't work out. For a club like Sunderland sometimes you have to go for the long shot as the options are limited. I'm not sure hiring Di Canio can be seen as a good idea even though they didn't have a lot of options. Certainly firing him seems like a much better decision.

Martin Lol to go next
He is a failure everywhere he goes

Funny how so many spurs fans rated him :lol:

I would say nailed on next to go. Fans turned him on now it seems.

Although I would say its harsh to say he was a failure at Spurs. He was only a dodgy lasagne away from getting us 4th. His back-to-back 5th places got us back in the right direction after mediocre seasons.

Not claiming he should be called a success, but certainly wouldnt class him as a failure at WHL...Gross on the other hand

Martin Lol to go next

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Jol was not a failure he got us higher in the leagues then ever before with an average to good squad, where as now we have a good to great squad.

He was a great guy and has done ok where ever he has been, but it does seem that the fans have turned on him, a shame because the is always a special place in my football heart for him. One of the reasons i can never fully get on side with levy is becauase of how he treated him at the end.

Martin Lol to go next

You are one of the most relentlessly negative people I've ever read on this forum, which is a bit like being the biggest alcoholic at an AA meeting.

Am pretty sure Jol lead us to our highest premier league finish for 2 seasons. He went to Hamburg and had them top for a while eventually finishing in a Europa league place aswell as having a few very good cup runs.He then went on to dominate in Holland with Ajax only to lose out on the title to an over achieving FC Twente ( I'm sure Ajax had a ridiculous goals for record)

Fulham suffered from losing dembele, dempsey and murphy in such a short space of time and the replacements not being up to scratch.

On paper, Fulham have a very decent team with players like Berbatov, Bent, Parker, Ruiz, Tarrabt, Sidwell, Rodallega and Holland's No.1 goalie Stekelenburg. But the problem is they are not performing now. Berbatov has not even scored this season.

Wonder how long Manure will give Mr Moyes?

Couple of my plastic Manc friends keep pointing out to me that the MU hierarchy gave SAF time when he first arrived but at the time Manure were just a little mid table club like Arsenal so they kinda had too.

Now though after year on year of glorious success I think they will not hang around at the rate they are sliipping down the table to pull the trigger.

Back