• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ledley King

It was horrible to watch today, like a guy behind me said, "it's like watching your favourite pet die". He's been written off before, but he's never played this bad before and never been so consistently poor before.

What a player though.

Every one of his past 4 games he has been poor, at fault for goals, looked weak, outpaced...

its time for him to retire im afraid

Its really difficult to fathom because earlier in the season he still looked like a freak of nature. The game i started to have some real concerns was the Emirates Marketing Project one where he came back and just looked really leaden-footed at times. I know it was against one of the better teams in the league but he was as slow and cumbersome as i have ever seen him. Suffice to say i dont think any game since then in which he has played has seen much improvement if any improvement. Today was par for the course for him lately.

A great player in his time but i think he's done. I hate saying it.

I love Ledley more than most. Behind Daveeeed he's my 2nd favourite Spurs player EVER!! He, along with Rio, is the most naturally talented CB England has had in the past 10 years. He's also been written off several times over the last 2-3 years. However, today seemed to be the culmination of quite a few weeks' poor performances from him and I'm very much starting to think it is terminal. Most worryingly, I think his body has almost completely given up. Holt and the other fella beat him in nearly every single tussle today. Normally Ledley bricks all over this type of player. He has no pace, no strength, no agility left any longer. His brain is still sharp, he knows what to do, but his body fails him more often than not.

We MUST keep him at the club. Help him move into coaching. We need players like Caulker and Kaboul to be able to learn off the mighty King. However, I'm really starting to think that he should be slowly phased out of the first team reckoning, IMO.

fudge me, that hurts :frown:

He had a bad day. So did most of the lads. The same could be said of the past month or 2 of a lot of our players. He's a phenomenal player. I love the guy, I'll even excuse his casual racism! (drunk git). He must be feeling like cr*p tonight. Whenever we next seem in the Spurs kit, we'll sing his name louder than ever.

He literally couldn't jump today and was relying on putting him arm around players to stop them. I was almost in tears.

I agree. This was what I didnt want to see happen, heartbreaking to see him playing like that today. Never thought I would say it, but based on what I saw today, if Kaboul is fit, then its Kaboul/Gallas v Chelsea next weekend

He had a bad day. So did most of the lads. The same could be said of the past month or 2 of a lot of our players. He's a phenomenal player. I love the guy, I'll even excuse his casual racism! (drunk git). He must be feeling like cr*p tonight. Whenever we next seem in the Spurs kit, we'll sing his name louder than ever.

We all love him mate but its not just a bad day is it, he has been poor since City.

I don't think I have seen as bad a performance from him like today tbh. He has on occasions this season looked decent but for the most part I have felt he has started to look like all this injury stuff is catching up with him. Never seen him play like today before though, really was as bad a defensive performance as I can remember for years and years although that might be purely because of who we are talking about.

Can't have him anywhere near the team for sunday imo. Hopefully Kaboul will be fit and he can resume the partnership with Gallas.

Have been saying for about six months now, he looks far slower and shaky than ever before....looks like Bambi on ice when he runs and now rarely gets up to a full sprint. His performances over the last half season to full season have been weak and people have been saying that he played better than he actually did simply because he is such a legend.

When Ledely was our best CB then he was worth keeping to bring in for big games. However I think that for a while our best pairing has been Kaboul and Gallas and its not clear to me that I would have King ahead of Dawson as back-up. And would you then keep someone with chronic injury problems as your 4th choice CB? I dont think I would. As such, despite him being a Spurs legend, if oyu take a completely unemotional view then I cant see any reason for renewing his contract this summer. I think you're better off going into next season with Dawson, Gallas, Kaboul, Caulker and a top class new CB signing as your CB options

Like others, I've said it before:
He's still got it, but I think we need to replace him in the summer with someone who can play every league match. I'd rather we make the transition now, rather than wait for the next January transfer window where it may be possible that he will break down next season.

We all know that he's a remarkable player, but we have to start pushing him backwards soon. And once he is no longer a regular - he can do something else within the club like, say, a coaching role. No point singling him out for the game against Arsenal, he wasn't very good but which of our players was?
This is Ledley's last season as a genuine starter, IMO. We need to find his long-term replacement in the summer and pair him up with Kaboul for next season. We've seen how much better Younes has done this season when he's had an experienced 'keeper behind him, the faith of the manager and regular games under his belt. Now we have someone who is stable at the back for 30+ games a season, we need to find someone who can play alongside him and push King back.

For next season, I would like to see King play in cup games alongside the likes of Caulker. He could teach him so much, as from what I've heard and seen - they have comparable playing styles. I don't believe King should be regarded as a league started anymore.

Ledley King is my favourite Spurs player (as I'm sure he is for a lot of Yids), but (like Gomes before him), we need to make a cold-hearted decision and move on. My Centre-backs for next season:

1. Kaboul
2. King replacement
3. Dawson
4. Caulker
5. Mr. Tottenham, Ledley King

Poor poor Ledley. Absolute legend, but it really does look as though his footballing brain is writing cheques his body can't cash! When an average defender gets beaten by a forward, it happens. When a great defender can't quite get his foot to the ball, it's dangerous -- what would have been an absolute monster tackle 2 years ago suddenly becomes a clear penalty. The average defender wouldn't even have attempted that tackle.

While I think Ledley has dealt with his limitations well over the last couple of seasons, I think his pace and agility have finally dropped below the threshold where he merits an automatic 1st XI place. It's affecting his decision-making and the confidence of others around him.

I really hope he the King gets to lift the FA Cup, but fear that he'll bow out with a shocking cup final display...or even semi-final display.

Gutted.

I think his problem has been that IIRC he was told he needed to play in at least 20 games this season to get a new contract. He's probably tried pushing himself a few times too many when he probably wasn't up to it in order to get to that number. Well he's there now. So I only want to see him again if his knee feels ok.

I think his problem has been that IIRC he was told he needed to play in at least 20 games this season to get a new contract. He's probably tried pushing himself a few times too many when he probably wasn't up to it in order to get to that number. Well he's there now. So I only want to see him again if his knee feels ok.

The 20 games to get a new contract thing was just Harry mouthing off rather than anyone with a brain speaking. Levy deals with the contracts

Should not be playing, big mistake from Harry, far too slow and shaky. Would he make a good coach ? Probably not and we have enough cronies as coaches, we could do with some proper ones.

Was at fault for both goals and has been for others, The pen at City was crucial.

One of Harry's biggest and most costly mistakes of the season.

Agreed. I don't think we have had a settled back 5 for a good 5 years really, maybe more and as such we are always liable to concede. Time to look forward and get a settled back line together.

Back