• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Last ten minutes

The sub made tactical sense, imv - we needed extra bodies at the back knowing they'd come hard at us in the last 10-odd minutes with nothing to lose

jts: My point is that all though people see a pattern it's way too early to say that one is there. Especially when based only on results. I made a similar point to the one in that Guardian article when Hudd was taken off for Livermore (I think) against Chelsea (not for the first time this season I think), I think that taking off your best ball players when you are expecting to be put under considerable pressure is a mistake, at least if done too early. That's more of a theoretical discussion based on choices being made, not based just on the results.

Looking at the result in the Norwich game we conceded two goals from set plays against them, it was obviously that they were going to be a threat. Taking off our smallest player (I think) and putting on the tallest player we had on the bench to help us become more solid for those set plays seems like a choice it should be possible do defend in that situation.

I'm sure we could come up with dozens, if not well over a hundred, other similar talking points like "The last ten minutes of the game". How the team starts a game, how they start after half time, how you defend set pieces, how you attack set pieces, wing play going forward, defending against crosses, passing, movement, movement in the final third, finishing, heading, crossing and so on and so on. There are so many of these that any team at any point is bound to be among the bottom 5 in the league in at least some of these areas just by random chance as long as the sample size is small enough, and in this case it is. Even more so when the team in question isn't the best or second best team in the league either.

If the points are being reasoned out as to why we are poor at specific things based on something other than result I'm normally up for a discussion.

Imagine for a moment that, when defending a 1-0 lead, we could bring Parker on for Hudd/Dembele to relieve the pressure. Or that we could start with BAE at left back, and take advantage of his cross-field passes, and Kaboul at centre-back, and take advantage of..well, having our version of Kompany (last year, anyway) fit and firing. Or if we could bring on a hungry, motivated, FIT Ade to relieve pressure for the last ten minutes. Or if we could start games wit little Luka Modric in the side, and let him endlessly recycle possession without a care in the world.

I'd wager we'd concede a lot less in the last ten minutes. And I'd wager we'd score a lot more. Point being, circumstance has led to us having a decimated squad, which forces us to play clearly unfit or off-the-boil players like Hudd, Walker and Livermore, and forces us to play Dempsey and Sigurdsson game after game despite them clearly needing time to settle in. Is it a surprise, then, that we look shaky for large parts of a game?

------------Lloris-------------

Walker---Kaboul---Vertonghen--BAE

---------Sandro---Parker-----

Lennon-------Dembele-------Bale

---------------Ade

Subs; Friedel, Caulker, Naughton, Huddlestone, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Defoe

That's what our full strength side would look like. Compare that to the teams we put out at Norwich and Southampton and you'll get your answer.

Our fading in the last ten minutes happened long before AVB joined. There is no point in placing the blame on him. In fact if anything we played a slower tempo game in the past few seasons and still faded at the end. Its a credit to the work done that we're still pressing in the latter parts of the second half.

But surely we should be looking to the new manager to fix this?
At the moment it seems that we are still doing the things that cost us CL last season, when is avb going to improve us?

But surely we should be looking to the new manager to fix this?
At the moment it seems that we are still doing the things that cost us CL last season, when is avb going to improve us?

When he gets the squad that Harry had, I'd imagine.

Its been mentioned in some quarters that the players have been doing double training sessions under AVB and recently some of the players went to him saying could he ease up on the sessions as they were clearly impacting the team's fitness. I'd be interested to know if this is the case as this might be one of reasons for why we fade so badly and concentration goes out the window.. We need a physical trainer to answer the question of does double training make you stronger in the long term? Apparently Mourinho makes Real players do double sessions.

Its been mentioned in some quarters that the players have been doing double training sessions under AVB and recently some of the players went to him saying could he ease up on the sessions as they were clearly impacting the team's fitness. I'd be interested to know if this is the case as this might be one of reasons for why we fade so badly and concentration goes out the window.. We need a physical trainer to answer the question of does double training make you stronger in the long term? Apparently Mourinho makes Real players do double sessions.

According to what has been reported they only did double training sessions during pre-season.

If he deemed Carroll as tiring, who would you rather he sent on?

In all seriousness?

Its the pattern, not one decision in isolation.

We are conceding late goals in a high proportion of our matches. There may be good reasons - player fitness and new tactics, weak squad due to injuries, etc - but the scores and times of the goals are facts we need to deal with. In each case we can make an excuse or justify the decision, but if the decisions keep leading to the wrong result, its perhaps time to ask questions.

jts: My point is that all though people see a pattern it's way too early to say that one is there. Especially when based only on results. I made a similar point to the one in that Guardian article when Hudd was taken off for Livermore (I think) against Chelsea (not for the first time this season I think), I think that taking off your best ball players when you are expecting to be put under considerable pressure is a mistake, at least if done too early. That's more of a theoretical discussion based on choices being made, not based just on the results.

Looking at the result in the Norwich game we conceded two goals from set plays against them, it was obviously that they were going to be a threat. Taking off our smallest player (I think) and putting on the tallest player we had on the bench to help us become more solid for those set plays seems like a choice it should be possible do defend in that situation.

I'm sure we could come up with dozens, if not well over a hundred, other similar talking points like "The last ten minutes of the game". How the team starts a game, how they start after half time, how you defend set pieces, how you attack set pieces, wing play going forward, defending against crosses, passing, movement, movement in the final third, finishing, heading, crossing and so on and so on. There are so many of these that any team at any point is bound to be among the bottom 5 in the league in at least some of these areas just by random chance as long as the sample size is small enough, and in this case it is. Even more so when the team in question isn't the best or second best team in the league either.

If the points are being reasoned out as to why we are poor at specific things based on something other than result I'm normally up for a discussion.

If people see a pattern, surely it means there is one. It may be too early to draw conclusions about the reasons for the pattern, it could just be bad luck and coincidence, but the pattern is real enough.

I also think the pattern is strong enough that we can justifiably start asking questions and trying to draw conclusions. These late goals are following substitutions very closely. Now it could just be coincidence. When conceding late goals, its inevitable that they tend to occur around the same time or a bit later than substitutions almost by definition. However, the frequency of the late goals is very high compared to the frequency before. You have to wonder about cause and effect.

TottenhamHot_gd.gif

There is the phrase that once is happenstance, twice coincidence and thrice enemy action. There was no mention of four or more times.

If people see a pattern, surely it means there is one. It may be too early to draw conclusions about the reasons for the pattern, it could just be bad luck and coincidence, but the pattern is real enough.

I also think the pattern is strong enough that we can justifiably start asking questions and trying to draw conclusions. These late goals are following substitutions very closely. Now it could just be coincidence. When conceding late goals, its inevitable that they tend to occur around the same time or a bit later than substitutions almost by definition. However, the frequency of the late goals is very high compared to the frequency before. You have to wonder about cause and effect.

TottenhamHot_gd.gif

There is the phrase that once is happenstance, twice coincidence and thrice enemy action. There was no mention of four or more times.

Most assuredly not.

We are pattern seeking mammals, however we are not particularly good at separating actual patterns from imagined ones, we see plenty of patterns where there are none and even see patterns in random sequences with surprising ease. A ton of very solid research backs this up and there's plenty of decent stuff on this online.

Most assuredly not.

We are pattern seeking mammals, however we are not particularly good at separating actual patterns from imagined ones, we see plenty of patterns where there are none and even see patterns in random sequences with surprising ease. A ton of very solid research backs this up and there's plenty of decent stuff on this online.

The patterns in finite random sequences are real patterns, just not ones that will continue indefinitely. I'm not sure you are correct on us seeing patterns when there is nothing there. Isn't it more that we are very good at detecting patterns and have a tendency to determine there is one even if only transient? This could come down to semantics, though.

I think the pattern of seeing a late goal after a substitution is a real pattern. You can't say they didn't happen. What is yet to be determined is if the cause is random or something that needs correcting.

The patterns in finite random sequences are real patterns, just not ones that will continue indefinitely. I'm not sure you are correct on us seeing patterns when there is nothing there. Isn't it more that we are very good at detecting patterns and have a tendency to determine there is one even if only transient? This could come down to semantics, though.

I think the pattern of seeing a late goal after a substitution is a real pattern. You can't say they didn't happen. What is yet to be determined is if the cause is random or something that needs correcting.

I think you're right about semantics :) When I talk about patterns I mean stuff that is caused by something, not patterns in finite random sequences.

We are instinctively very poor at estimating what is random and what isn't, but there are (often) what you call patterns there, the question in this case is about assigning causal links to those patterns. People are very quick to jump to conclusions here. My point is that just by random chance there are bound to be some areas where we are among the worst in the league over a small sample size like this. If you prefer to call that a pattern in a finite random sequence I have no problem with that and that might be a better description of what is going on than just calling it random - I'm not sure. Although when called just a pattern (without the "in a finite random sequence part") that word for me carries connotations about something that will continue or recur into the future (if nothing is done about it), but that might just be me.

Did anyone say semantics? :)

As long as we agree that based on the stats alone there is no reason to believe that we currently are particularly bad in the last 10 minutes of games we are on the same page...

I think you're right about semantics :) When I talk about patterns I mean stuff that is caused by something, not patterns in finite random sequences.

We are instinctively very poor at estimating what is random and what isn't, but there are (often) what you call patterns there, the question in this case is about assigning causal links to those patterns. People are very quick to jump to conclusions here. My point is that just by random chance there are bound to be some areas where we are among the worst in the league over a small sample size like this. If you prefer to call that a pattern in a finite random sequence I have no problem with that and that might be a better description of what is going on than just calling it random - I'm not sure. Although when called just a pattern (without the "in a finite random sequence part") that word for me carries connotations about something that will continue or recur into the future (if nothing is done about it), but that might just be me.

Did anyone say semantics? :)

As long as we agree that based on the stats alone there is no reason to believe that we currently are particularly bad in the last 10 minutes of games we are on the same page...

Agreed with almost the whole post, but I'll question the last sentence.

The stats do give us reason to believe we are bad in the last ten minutes. They show we are. The questions are whether it is just chance or if there are good reasons.

I'm undecided on this issue. It could be chance or it could be related to injuries or adjustment to a new system. However, I can't dismiss it as something that might be just chance as that is making a determination one way or the other. There is enough evidence to ask questions, but not enough for definite conclusions.

P.S. On the semantics issue. If someone is tossing a coin and it come up heads ten times in a row, that is a pattern of heads. I wouldn't expect it to continue but I would see the pattern in the limited sequence.

Last season...

Emirates Marketing Project home - dzeko, 90
man utd away - anderson, 76 & rooney, 87
Emirates Marketing Project away - ballotelli, 90
wigan home - mc arthur, 80
swansea away - sinclair, 84
chelski SF - ramires 77, Lampard 81, Malouda 90
Saudi Sportswashing Machine away - ameobi, 86
stoke home - jerome, 75

Don't pretend late concessions never happened under other managers, least of all Harry. Because they did. BTW, your comments on Gutter boy...pot/kettle. Hilarious.

Your points lack any context whatsoever...think carefully about tonight and the subs made. And consider the long-term injured versus the pool of players left to choose from versus giving a couple who have played pretty much every minute (such as Defoe) a rest.

Younes Kaboul - injured
BAE - injured
Dembele - injured
Adebayor - mental fracture
Scott Parker - injured

I won't even mention the player he lost in the summer who was basically the lynchpin of Tottenham Hotspur these past three seasons.

Finally, my take on these late concessions is NOTHING to do with the overall physical fitness of the side (I do continue to believe that the Hudd is not fit enough to play the active role I wish he could), and frankly, I think it's a joke that anyone does. We continued to attack Norwich last night after going behind, I'm sure you noticed. I think the problem is FOCUS/CONCENTRATION and MAINTAINING FOCUS/CONCENTRATION for 90 mins. This is a much younger squad than the last few seasons and it lacks the experience to remain focussed against sides such as Norwich. The reason we lost last night, IMHO was two-fold. AVB had no-one else to bring on for Carroll who could do what Carroll was doing, thus he thrust Verts in to plug the gap (a mistake). And because we switched off. To my eyes, we stopped doing the things we'd been doing with the same level of diligence because this wasn't Old Trafford and Norwich weren't Man Utd. THAT'S where we need to sharpen up and get our brick together IMO...

4 of the games you listed there were already over when said late goals went in. It's the ones that actually cost us points that we should be concerning ourselves with. I believe we are conceding late goals this season because we playing too cautious in the 2nd half.

We really do need to sort out the last ten minutes as it has become ridiculous. Its like we now need a three or four goal lead before we can 'relax' a bit.

Yes it was a mistake that caused a goal on sunday BUT it was still a goal and they still put pressure on us (which you would expect) but we actually didnt keep the ball particularly well in the very latter stages

We really do need to sort out the last ten minutes as it has become ridiculous. Its like we now need a three or four goal lead before we can 'relax' a bit.

Yes it was a mistake that caused a goal on sunday BUT it was still a goal and they still put pressure on us (which you would expect) but we actually didnt keep the ball particularly well in the very latter stages

I agree. Although we did almost reply straight away, Jasskelainen denied Bale with a good save IIRC. Really disappointing we couldnt keep the clean sheet though, and it could have been worse I suppose, they really should have got a 2nd goal, that would have set the backsides twitching for the last 2 minutes

Back